5 Points in Wyoming?

General or Draw?

• General license

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Draw Area

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters
Actually asking for a friend… if you had 5 points in Wyoming would you just apply for the general license knowing you’d draw or would you go for a unit that is a draw requiring 5 points to give you the same odds?

I'd share points with a buddy that has 3 or 4 points and go general. Or just hunt general on my own. Didn't see anything LE worth chasing at 5 points when i had a general tag in '18 but its sure possible I missed something.

I've got seven and would rather have had two generals.

This season, I helped a friend in a limited area that I've been chasing. He got a very nice bull but the hunt quality maybe isn't worth the wait.

I've got another friend with five that I've been telling to burn em. The units that take five now, took three a few years ago and I didn't want them then...

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would go general and have him let someone piggy back off him if they needed an extra point. I don't see anything in that 5 range right now I would really want to hunt.

OP
Indian Summer
To me it’s a no brainer. I look at the long term plan. I’m all about the general license because, for now anyway, it’s the tag I can draw most often. Consistent success comes from knowing your area and the habits of the elk there like the back of your hand. That only happens from experience. Hunting it for many years teaches you not only what elk do there but also on dry years, wet years, early winters and t shirt weather seasons.

Not so long ago we could draw the general license with zero points and as your second choice. You could pick a killer unit for your first choice and if you didn’t draw it you’d get your general license plus a point. This year I hunted my same spot for the tenth year straight. I can honestly say that even though I’ve killed elk every year there I couldn’t say until last year that I had the area down to a science. There’s no question that there’s always another piece of the puzzle to learn. But you’ll never learn them all in a place you can only hunt every 5 to 10 years. And if you’ve ever hunted the general units in Wyoming you know that there’s a ton of great elk hunting there with quality bulls. If I’m saving points somewhere for a limited quota area it’s not going to be there.

Laramie

WKR
Actually asking for a friend… if you had 5 points in Wyoming would you just apply for the general license knowing you’d draw or would you go for a unit that is a draw requiring 5 points to give you the same odds?
It really depends on your friends goals. Has he shot an elk before? Is he looking for a trophy? A unique experience? There are some interesting tags he should be able to draw now with his points to have almost a guaranteed elk. General isn't a bad option but it can be a really tough hunt for guys going in green. Did he building points for a chance at a big bull? If so, general is the lowest probability and he should probably hold out. Does he have time/patience to wait for a great tag?

How many other states does this feller got points in, and how ambitious is he or she about killing an elk? In my experience, there's pretty good elk hunting in Wyoming (and most places I've hunted), but they're far from easy to kill (same as most places I've hunted). If you're looking to get after it, you'll have a good general hunt, but if you want a bit more relaxing experience, you could avoid the masses with a LQ tag.

KineKilla

WKR
If he's got 5 points, I'd say antlers are a priority. I don't think anyone saves 5 points for a cow
If you live in UT....I have 5 points for cow elk in my hunting unit and still may not draw a tag next year.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I thought general was pretty much it until you got to 10 points? Is there a few decent units in there?

I'm not getting serious about wy until 2023 so I haven't dug in hard yet as I figured by then it will take 5 just to get general

I thought general was pretty much it until you got to 10 points? Is there a few decent units in there?

I'm not getting serious about wy until 2023 so I haven't dug in hard yet as I figured by then it will take 5 just to get general
There are a couple great five point units if your not afraid of grizzlies and wolves

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think since Indian Summer has hunted Wyoming for the past 10 years straight means he doesn’t have any PPs and is fishing for people to average their 5 PPs with him so he can keep on hunting.

Just a thought….
No doubt there's an angle in there somewhere.

I currently have seven as point creep keeps crushing my hopes and dreams.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk