6.5-300 Weatherby mag vs. 300WSM

robtattoo

WKR
That result has to be bullet related. If folks are having success with 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5prc, 6.5rpm, .260rem, 26 nosler, and the 6.5-300 is the fastest of them all, then shot placement or bullet construction are the only possibilities and you rules out placement.

As I said, I couldn't comment on the components used, other than assuming it was factory ammo. It could simply be a really motivated elk! I've had numerous bullet failures myself, using VLDs & long range bullets up close. My guess would be that was his issue too. The bullets just going too damn fast.

robtattoo

WKR
I think that the trend towards people thinking that every shot is going to be 500+ yds is probably going to lead to many more instances like this in the coming years. Uber-zippy, whiz bang, long range chamberings being used more & more often & elk, deer & bear still being killed at the ranges they've always been killed at; under 250yds.

OP
P
Yes I know my 280 will do the job, mainly just wanting an excuse to add a rifle to the collection! Leaning more towards the 300wsm, do like the heavier bullet weights and would do good in the mountains around here when bear hunting. Its a shame about staying away from Remington's, always liked their rifles.

khuber84

WKR
where would be a good place to look at swfa scopes? All I have ever used is leupold.
thanks

Not what I want to hear about the 6.5-300, sounds like a 300wsm is the way to go! was thinking of something around 190gr bullets for it, probably nosler.
I'd you're going to shoot a Tikka, stick to 200gr or lower, and get a long action bolt stop, and hells canyon billet magazine. That way you can load out to the lands and increase performance if you handload. The Tikka has an 11 twist barrel which doesn't work the best with bullets above 200gr.

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve been debating on getting one and chopping the barrel off to 18” and running my suppressor on it a lot of powder waster but I think it would still be cooking for a 6.5 and would be a very packable
Gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 300 wsm will be more versatile from big to small game, typically come in a smaller/lighter package and have more aftermarket and component support so it would be my choice by far

renagde

WKR
If you're going to take the recoil of a .300, you might as well be propelling .30 bullets. I don't see the point of having such a heavy recoiling rifle and not fully getting the benefits of the .30 cal. There's no arguing the fact that the 30 cal will put down a elk faster than a 6.5