6.5 CM for Elk

OP
Kramer588

Kramer588

Lil-Rokslider
Well this is spinning wildly out of control!! Good to see guys can joke around a little and have some fun. But i do really appreciate all the feedback and time you guys take to help me figure this stuff out. Im new to elk hunting and western hunting all together and im just trying to learn from you guys that have real world experience with these things. I dont want to push any limits on shooting too far and coming from a mostly archery background, i understand what it takes to wait for a good shot because i have learned some hard lessons on forcing a shot and i have taken for granted how much an animal can move after the shot.

mtmuley

WKR
Sorry Kramer, couldn't resist. Sure the Creed works, it just ain't for me for elk. Good luck. mtmuley

brocksw

WKR
I know an individual who killed a bull at 854 yards with a 260 Rem. 1 shot...

Placement, bullet, headstamp

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
So how much of an advantage would a guy gain by having a 7mm-08 vs the 6.5CM? The increased bullet diameter allows for larger grain bullets, but the casing doesn't allow for much more powder to be used. So does a faster bullet with a higher SD work better than a heavier slower bullet?

I've used both on quite a few caribou...if there's a discernible difference in the field, I couldn't see it. I doubt one is any more capable in the real world than the other. That said, both seem to work better than the math would indicate they would.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Should impact velocity be the measure?

No less than 1500fps for expansion?

Yes, but required velocity for expansion/upset is different for every bullet. As well, one company’s version of “expansion” can be very different than what most would call expansion.

For good effects most bullets need around 2,000fps. Hard bullet such as E-tips and Barnes I don’t like below 2,200 or so.

Even with minimum impact velocity, you still need to know what the wound channel will be- how deep, how wide. The only way you are getting that is through rigorous testing in calibrated tissue simulate, or hundreds of test animals with legitimate autopsy’s performed.

Most oat of the better company’s that produce LR bullets for hunting have pretty decent gel tests with their bullets at low impact velocities.

ckleeves

WKR
When you guys are testing in gel how often do you see a bullet fail to expand at a velocity that it normally will? I ask because I have seen a few accubonds and Barnes show little to no expansion at 2400 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
When you guys are testing in gel how often do you see a bullet fail to expand at a velocity that it normally will? I ask because I have seen a few accubonds and Barnes show little to no expansion at 2400 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each bullet is different, some are more consistent than others, but both of those- especially Barnes TSX, can be inconsistent at times. It’s important to understand that bullets are pretty good now, but they are still individuals. That’s what makes it hard trying to judge off of animals- you can get a bad result or a good result at any time and that may shape your belief of the bullet, yet it might not behave the same for the next 2,000 bullets.

I’m not comfortable stating anything remotely sure about a bullet from shooting animals until I’ve seen 30-50 with similar shot placement. There’s jut too many variables to go off of one or two kills.

chindits

WKR
I didn’t know it was this hard to pick a bullet. I guess I’ll need to swing by a local ranch to do some testing because I don’t see me shooting 30 critters legally in this part of CO. Hell, I don’t even like rifle season.

I had a 120gr GMX go stem to stern on a WT @ 450yards so I personally would have no problem going 500 on a elk with that load if I had to.

Stewbuntu

FNG
To me an ar15 vs a .300wm is like a 22 vs a judge. The 22 is awesome to shoot all day long and fun. Is the AR10 (308) more forgiving and powerful enough?

I thought 308 is the all around.... Round. I was researching 6.5 CM for long shots and came across this thread. I read in a caliber comparison article during my research that 6.5CM was more accurate for special forces. I was told they still use 308 even after their trials with 6.5. I believe they use an AR10 for the snipers that don't have the 50 cal. I read the AR platform is supper accurate with the least recoil esp with correct barrels, BCGs, etc. If I got a 5 round mag or even a single round mag to meet state laws in Oregon could an AR10in 308 be a solid gun. I'm notnsure what the latest laws there are. The PSA 6.5 CM is a mile gun, atleast I have seen videos. So I am wondering for desert butte shooting 600+ would an AR10 be a good gun with better take down power than a 6.5CM. I'm okay with a grip that is not a hand grip, but rather a traditional rifle style and could swap it out. Just some thoughts from a noob. I have always shot my friend's or family's guns. I was leaning for .300 WM. The AR10 sounds good in research. I'm looking for accurate, long distance, and powerful enough, able to hit 1000 yard targets for practice, but take down elk at 600 yards. I'd like to sit on my porch often and practice for very long distance targets but it seems like the 6.5 doesn't have enough power for long takedown shots.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
Here is an attempt to shoot a large bull elk with a 6.5 Creedmoor at just over 600 yards. The bullet is the 129gr Hornady SST. Since obviously there is not nearly enough "ft lbs of energy" in this load to kill an elk at even 400 yards, we can certainly predict the outcome.

Bull Elk at 603 Yards - 6.5 Creedmoor and 129 SST

PS: Please note the large, leaky exit wound as the bull circles back around.

Stewbuntu

FNG
Seemed a lot better than a badly placed bullet where someone had to follow a blood trail for a mile.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

jofes

WKR
6.5 cm with 143 eldx at 80 yards, serious trama right behind the onside shoulder and a small exit wound on the offside.
Ran/fell 20 yards downhill.
20201015_080630.jpg