The elk shoulder that stopped a 308

Hagas4all

FNG
At about 12:30 host of show recounts experience and provides photo evidence of a cow elk shoulder that stopped a terminal ascent bullet at 350 yards from a 308 win. Rifle appears to be a tikka. A few more experiences recounted including issues with ELDX.

I had a similar experience out of a 6.5 143 eldx this year at same range on a bull, but did not take photo. For clarity, I still will and would hunt elk with a 6.5 or .308. Just sharing!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
At about 12:30 host of show recounts experience and provides photo evidence of a cow elk shoulder that stopped a terminal ascent bullet at 350 yards from a 308 win. Rifle appears to be a tikka. A few more experiences recounted including issues with ELDX.

You’re joking right?

IMG_5486.jpeg

I swear to god the lack of IQ of hunters.

I had a similar experience out of a 6.5 143 eldx this year at same range on a bull, but did not take photo.

Do share. I want to see a 6.5mm bullet that didn’t make it through a squirrel and piece of cardboard.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, what they are saying is a sub sonic 300 blackout will stop on a human sternum at the muzzle. Any volunteers to prove that? We can load it with a 175 terminal ascent?

A lighter and wider 9mm will bust heavier bones and penetrate more muscle than they are claiming at much lower velocities.

What they are saying does not add up. If there is a problem, it is not the head stamp.

Anyway, I'm not buying, but you guys are free to stock up on that "wisdom."

I may have missed it but I don't recall the dude stating what bullet or bullet weight he shot with. I could potentially see it happening with a sub 150g bullet since 350/400 they're starting to run out of gas and if its bonded or mono there was little/no expansion. But I think the dude is a dumb as a box of rocks if he thinks the 308 won't do the job at sub 500

It was a 175 grain terminal ascent I believe. The short version, as the bullet penetrated about 1/4 inch into muscle, and then stopped once it hit the shoulder. No blood.

Using these tards logic, if you were shot in a thigh with 175 grain terminal ascent at 350 yards you should be OK. Even if the bullet makes it to your femur. A human femur bone is considerably thicker than an elk shoulder.
I may have missed it but I don't recall the dude stating what bullet or bullet weight he shot with. I could potentially see it happening with a sub 150g bullet since 350/400 they're starting to run out of gas and if it’s bonded or mono there was little/no expansion. But I think the dude is a dumb as a box of rocks if he thinks the 308 won't do the job at sub 500

sndmn11

WKR
Obviously from the fright of it all.
It was progeny of one of those goats in Kansas?

Broad heads can penetrate scapulas, but a bullet going 1000fps at an exaggerated minimum doesn't. The wounding from the bullet jacket in the picture I quoted must have made a disastrous mess of that shoulder and sent shards of bone/metal into the vital cavity.

@Ucsdryder sent me a picture of a eldm hole his daughter made in a cow scapula. I didn't ask if he caught the bullet too.

OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG
So, what they are saying is a sub sonic 300 blackout will stop on a human sternum at the muzzle. Any volunteers to prove that? We can load it with a 175 terminal ascent?

A lighter and wider 9mm will bust heavier bones and penetrate more muscle than they are claiming at much lower velocities.

What they are saying does not add up. If there is a problem, it is not the head stamp.

Anyway, I'm not buying, but you guys are free to stock up on that "wisdom."
I don’t get the impression that these gents are getting anything out of sharing their experience. I agree with you in part. In theory if there was a velocity issue it should have penciled through. The account and evidence is what it is though. These guys are contactable if you wish to debunk their experience.

OP
H

Hagas4all

FNG
How did the bull die?
Two shots to lungs broadside. The third (that was stopped and I provided photo of) was a hard quarter away at about 1 o’clock. I hedged far right to avoid the guts as I enjoy tenderloin. It was a break down shot.