The elk shoulder that stopped a 308

Squincher

WKR
Are you being purposely obtuse? Do you have any clue that saying a bullet- any bullet only penetrated 1/4” into muscle and stopped at 2,000fps, and there is zero soft tissue trauma surrounding the “wound”, is not “doing things you would never expect”- it’s complete and utter bullshit. It’s demonstrably absurd.

The other side to this is apparently you can’t see the difference between dozens and dozens of people- (quite a few who initially argued against it) and hundreds of animals, who tried the 223/77gr TMK and found out that it does in tissue what properly done terminal ballistics testing shows it does and posted picture after picture showing exactly that.

Worse case scenario, even if it happened exactly the way they say, it's a less than a one-in-a-million aberration that means nothing.

I guess let's see how many people end up posting photos of bullet failures in this thread over the next couple of years then compare. In the meantime, I'm sure you'll be quick to harangue anyone who doesn't believe your photos while you're just as quick to call names and insult anyone whose photos don't align with your views. These guys didn't even disparage the .223 and they still got it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Worse case scenario, even if it happened exactly the way they say, it's a less than a one-in-a-million aberration that means nothing.

It not less than one in a million- bullets can’t hit at super sonic velocity and stop .25 inch in muscle tissue- that isn’t how they work. If you weren’t bent on trying to say the below, you’d admit that.

I guess let's see how many people end up posting photos of bullet failures in this thread over the next couple of years then compare. In the meantime, I'm sure you'll be quick to harangue anyone who doesn't believe your photos while you're just as quick to call names and insult anyone whose photos don't align with your views. These guys didn't even disparage the .223 and they still got it.

What are you talking about? Please quote a single time I have called someone a name or insulted anyone on any thread on this board. I don’t “harangue” anyone. I do the challenge the utter and demonstrable nonsense that people post. Things like this thread which is about two people on YouTube trying to claim that a 175gr Federal Terminal Ascent hit an elk in the chest at 300 yards, and stopped after 1/4” of penetration. And, it did so with zero soft tissue damage.

Do you actually believe that a 175gr bullet of ANY make or model impacting at 1,900fps won’t penetrate a cardboard box?

Maybe someone has already posted this, but I'd bet that bullet hit some pretty good brush before it hit the elk, and entered sideways or even heel first at significantly slower than 1900 fps.

If the bullet hit and reacted as they claim, something like this ^^^ had to have happened. Physics cannot be ignored. That amount of energy transfer is going to cause an equal and opposite reaction. Assuming weight was as listed, the claimed impact velocity literally cannot be correct.

Things that are actually impossible cannot happen by definition. But people are wrong in their assumptions with monotonous regularity.

Wrench

WKR
Maybe someone has already posted this, but I'd bet that bullet hit some pretty good brush before it hit the elk, and entered sideways or even heel first at significantly slower than 1900 fps.
I have seen this happen. In my sample size of 1, the bullet hit obviously sideways. The bullet nose was pushed about 75* to the bearing surface. The bearing surface was flattened and bent into a a quarter circle. The impact side was dented (likely from bone)....but it is hard to say because it still tripped through ribs onside and lungs before stopping in the offside brisket.

Trauma was consistent with any other typical bullet upset. The entrance wound was about a dime sized and showed severe bruising.

I'd guess impact velocity to be 2300ish....but given contact before the animal, that's a wild card.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have no idea what happened with their bullet since I wasn't there, but I know bullets on rare occasions do things you would never expect. I don't care one way or the other what happened to them. I just find it funny reading all the RS "enlightened" posting screeds against this photographic evidence while posting the opposite screeds in the .223 thread whenever someone questions that photographic evidence.
Can you point me to specific posts where a specific photo is questioned? I'm not talking about questioning the premises, but rather questioning if the photo shows what the poster thinks it shows. Can such a question be posed without flat out calling the poster a liar?

To be clear, I think the two guys in the video believe what they are saying and I am not calling them a liar. Rather, I think their interpretation of the facts is incompatible with realty.

A 147 gr, 9mm gold dot going 900 fps, while being significantly lighter, going significantly slower, and having a significantly larger frontal area resulting in a faster loss of energy will out pernitrate what they are calming and even if it hits bone that stops it, it will damage the bone.

What they are claiming is the equivalent of saying that the tank that explodes at the end of Saving Private Ryan did so because of the pistol rounds put into its front armor (the thickest armor on a tank). I have no doubt that uninformed people can believe it is possible, but such ignorance does not change the fact that the probability of it is to small to be rationally considered possible.

I guess I just enjoy watching displays of hypocrisy and lack of intellectual integrity, especially by those who come across as believing they are above it all.
Making a display of hypocrisy and lack of intellectual integrity to highlight the same in others is like screwing virgins to preserve virginity.

To be clear, I think the two guys in the video believe what they are saying and I am not calling them a liar. Rather, I think their interpretation of the facts is incompatible with realty.

I'm calling them a liar. Looks like they cut a slit and pounded that bullet in there as clickbait (and many of yall fell for it). And I wouldn't be surprised if some of their defenders on here either know them, are them, or both. Having half a brain makes it easy to understand what they are claiming is beyond the realm of possibility.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Please tell me no one is actually falling for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I had a very accomplished hunting friend of mine tell me the reason he thinks a tipped corlok didn’t kill an elk this season was because it was too close so the bullet hadn’t reached its full muzzle velocity. He regularly shoots antelope beyond 500 yards, and uses his ballistic app yet never applied his logic to the data he sees on his phone. An eye opener for me.
I’m sure many people will watch this video with zero critical thinking.
I have many friends who are very good woodsmen, skilled hunters and great shooters, and they don’t have a strong knowledge of internal, external and terminal ballistics. They use factory ammo, and don’t really think of why the system works. But they have more critters and better trophies than I do, and I respect their hunting abilities. The science behind it all just isn't their jam.

Randle

WKR
Seems to be
"Honey I need a new rifle, that 308 dang near bounced off that elk."
Just looks like a set up photo.
Pull a bullet and push it in to the meat.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
sigh... I had been avoiding posting in this thread but I'll throw this out there:

Has anyone considered that the bullet found in question wasn't even from the shooter, but a past wound? I hadn't watched the video until now, and they say it didn't even bleed.

Otherwise its just made up for views, and has succeeded at that...

Last edited:

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot quite a few elk (and other game) with the 308, and have used a variety of bullets.

Bullets I've used:

165 Nosler Accubond (elk, deer, antelope)
165 Speer Hotcore (elk)
165 Hornady BTSP (elk)
165 Sierra Gameking (elk)
150 Barnes TTSX (elk)
165 Barnes X (deer)
150 Speer Hotcore (deer)

I've taken the most with the 165 Accubond, and have never recovered one. I did recover one Barnes 150 TTSX. It didn't open, tumbled, and was found facing backwards under the skin on the offside. The other bullet I recovered was the 165 Hornady - shot was 230 yards. Bullet hit the front leg knuckle squarely (where it attaches to the scapula), and punched through. I found it in the offside lung. The heavy leg knuckle is an absolute torture test for a bullet, and it worked admirably for a non"premium" bullet. The loud "crack" noise the bullet made on impact was impressive!

Here's the elk:

Here's the recovered bullet:

Posted all this to say; "what a load of crap."

Last edited:
sigh... I had been avoiding posting in this thread but I'll throw this out there:

Has anyone considered that the bullet found in question wasn't even from the shooter, but a past wound? I hadn't watched the video until now, and they say it didn't even bleed.

Otherwise its just made up for views, and has succeeded at that...
A past wound would have infection and scarring.