6.5 Creedmoor on Elk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bighorner

WKR
Exactly. I have asked how a 30 cal (for example) might be a better tool for the OPs job. So far I have been given an example of a 300 Magnum at 1000 yards. Somehow, I don't think that's the OPs goal. I have also had people tell me that margin of error is the reason, but haven't been able to give an example of margin of error.

The margin of error comes into play when the shot is not a good double lung hit. It may be as forward and high hit where the energy causes a impact to the CNS and you get an elk that drops and bleeds out without ever getting into the chest cavity. Or a single lung shot where again the level of energy causes enough damage
That elk still bleeds out relatively fast. It takes a fair amount of energy and good bulleted construction to get through 24"- 36" of elk on a really steep angle. This i gets to being the case on a hard quartering away shot. Or looking at getting past bottom of the scapula humerus. Pretty much any where the "at some point you are going to make a poor shot" folks talk about. How many times to you hear guys say "he was quartering more than I realized". That's the margin of error folks are talking about.

Bighorner

WKR
I've talked to a lot of guides over the last 2 years, and everyone of them, flat out said, they don't want 6.5 anything in camp for an elk hunt, that it causes more problems than it's worth. didn't matter if it was 6.5crd or 26 Nosler. They all said, .270 or 30-06 as minimum would be preferred.

What would a bunch of guys making their living killing elk know about killing elk? They don't even have a podcast.

Last edited:

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 creed is a fine rifle I own two of them a bolt gun and a AR-10, with that being said if hunting elk I would want at least a 30 cal. I like my 300 win mag. with 180 gr. hornady SSTs will the 6.5 get the job done yes, but I like the extra omphf so to speak.
So when I go elk hunting in 2 weeks am I better off with my .308 shooting a 165 gr. Interlock at 2675 fps or my 7mm Mag shooting a 162 ELD-X at 3033 fps? I thought of my 7 as my elk rifle, but it doesn't check the .30 cal box that I guess my .308 does...

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
We can only accurately relay our personal experiences & the elk I’ve shot with in similar circumstances with a 300 Weatherby have travelled less than those with 30-06 & 7mm RM. Bang flops on elk with lung & offside shoulder shots are nice. My 7 is incredibly accurate I’ve taken neck & head shots that were rapid stops most of those were follow up shots.

Mathematics says the effective range & stopping power are vastly superior & personal experience confirms it. Can you kill elk with a 6.5 - absolutely. Is it the best tool for the job? Absolutely not. Guides see dozens of elk shot & killed or not - they apparently aren’t fans of the 6.5 wonder gun. If you are a “recoil sissy” it’s a solution but a heavy 270 ( Vanguard, Howa, Remington 700)is a better soft kicking choice.

If you aren’t sure find someone who shoots a few different cartridges & try their elk rifle to see if recoil too much in that configuration.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
So when I go elk hunting in 2 weeks am I better off with my .308 shooting a 165 gr. Interlock at 2675 fps or my 7mm Mag shooting a 162 ELD-X at 3033 fps? I thought of my 7 as my elk rifle, but it doesn't check the .30 cal box that I guess my .308 does...
Always a smart Alec on the thread. Either gun will work the 7 will work better farther out. I bought mine as a deer/elk gun in 1977 & it’s worked well for both. In my opinion the very best long range deer rifle. I’ve killed a bunch of elk, more than 10, with my 7 150 grain TTSX the last few times. Your combo is deadly likely out to 500 yards if you shoot it that far practicing.

Gila

WKR
Here we go.

Nobody ever suggested shooting more gun than a person can handle. But anyone can handle more than a 6.5 especially with a muzzle brake.

The point was that you can kill animals with smaller guns than you should be using but you should really get an elk gun instead of using the deer gun.

It’s time to go read the “Elk Are Tough” thread. More stores like the one above me about elk getting shot and living to tell about it. A deer is pretty darn tough. Elk are tougher. Way more. But the other thing to really consider is where they live. Things disappear there very easily. If you’re hunting desert or sage flats or private property that’s wide open you’ll be ok. But in the mountains it’s wise to anchor an elk right where he’s standing.
There are quite a few things you can do to make the 300 win mag more comfortable to shoot. Mine started out as a Tikka lite SS. I never shot it before I modified it, so I can’t compare. Out of the box I put on a better recoil pad and a good comfortable stock pack. It wasn’t difficult to increase weight. I added a SS pic rail, steel bottom metal and use metal mags. The scope isn’t light but around 30 oz. The stock fits me quite well and has vibration dampening built in. The result is a nicely balanced rifle that is very comfortable to shoot. I don’t like muzzle breaks, but that is another option. So now I carry a rifle that is 9.25 lbs.

CoStick

WKR
There are quite a few things you can do to make the 300 win mag more comfortable to shoot. Mine started out as a Tikka lite SS. I never shot it before I modified it, so I can’t compare. Out of the box I put on a better recoil pad and a good comfortable stock pack. It wasn’t difficult to increase weight. I added a SS pic rail, steel bottom metal and use metal mags. The scope isn’t light but around 30 oz. The stock fits me quite well and has vibration dampening built in. The result is a nicely balanced rifle that is very comfortable to shoot. I don’t like muzzle breaks, but that is another option. So now I carry a rifle that is 9.25 lbs.
I have no issue with recoil, just don’t see any reason it would work better than my .308 did, my .270 does, 6.5 cm or prc. Or 7mm-08 for that matter.

Fatcamp

WKR
I would shoot an elk with my Creedmoor, or my wifes .300WM. I have shot about half my deer and antelope with each. They all died with one shot. I assume an elk would too.

Gila

WKR
I have no issue with recoil, just don’t see any reason it would work better than my .308 did, my .270 does, Or 7mm-08 for that matter.
All three proven all around calibers over the years. I wouldn’t hesitate to use my .270 on another bull. Personally, I wouldn’t use a bullet smaller than 6.8 on elk. Just my druthers. I feel more confident putting some bullet mass down range with as much velocity that I can squeeze out. Apparently many elk have been harvested with a 6.5 and many more will be harvested. How many elk are lost in comparison to other calibers? I really don’t know. But elk hunting ain’t easy nor is it cheap. Most people are lucky to get a shot at all on an elk hunt. I prefer to up the odds if I can.

CoStick

WKR
All three proven all around calibers over the years. I wouldn’t hesitate to use my .270 on another bull. Personally, I wouldn’t use a bullet smaller than 6.8 on elk. Just my druthers. I feel more confident putting some bullet mass down range with as much velocity that I can squeeze out. Apparently many elk have been harvested with a 6.5 and many more will be harvested. How many elk are lost in comparison to other calibers? I really don’t know. But elk hunting ain’t easy nor is it cheap. Most people are lucky to get a shot at all on an elk hunt. I prefer to up the odds if I can.
Wounding animals is hunter specific, not rifle specific, but no doubt from this thread it does sound like magnum hunters are more comfortable rolling the dice.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Always a smart Alec on the thread. Either gun will work the 7 will work better farther out. I bought mine as a deer/elk gun in 1977 & it’s worked well for both. In my opinion the very best long range deer rifle. I’ve killed a bunch of elk, more than 10, with my 7 150 grain TTSX the last few times. Your combo is deadly likely out to 500 yards if you shoot it that far practicing.
I actually wasn't trying to be a smart alec. After seeing the .30 cal criteria listed multiple times in this thread I honestly wondered if there are some that believe a 7 mag is too small for elk. And I do plan on shooting elk with the .308 someday, but the 7 is hard to leave home.

SwiftShot

WKR
My bull last year was rooted out of the dark timber at 50 yards. I had a matter of seconds to kill him. I used a 10 lb Creedmoor with a heavy barrel, a Berger with a bc in the high 600s, and a scope with what some would consider too busy a reticle for timber hunting. I made the shot and watched him drop.

The reason I was able to get him killed quickly is that, due to that rifle being mild and fun to shoot, I had shot hundreds of rounds through it in the past couple years. Some of those were doing drills starting with a pack on and getting a shot on target as fast as possible. I personally will take familiarity over having a rifle tailored exactly to the shot at hand. And if I need to lay down over a pack and shoot one at 400 yds, that rifle is well capable of that as well.

I can tell you that I would not shoot a bigger rifle nearly as much. I hate breaks and dislike recoil.
Did
My bull last year was rooted out of the dark timber at 50 yards. I had a matter of seconds to kill him. I used a 10 lb Creedmoor with a heavy barrel, a Berger with a bc in the high 600s, and a scope with what some would consider too busy a reticle for timber hunting. I made the shot and watched him drop.

The reason I was able to get him killed quickly is that, due to that rifle being mild and fun to shoot, I had shot hundreds of rounds through it in the past couple years. Some of those were doing drills starting with a pack on and getting a shot on target as fast as possible. I personally will take familiarity over having a rifle tailored exactly to the shot at hand. And if I need to lay down over a pack and shoot one at 400 yds, that rifle is well capable of that as well.

I can tell you that I would not shoot a bigger rifle nearly as much. I hate breaks and dislike recoil.
Your point is exactly what?

So exactly why did you qoute me? If it did not apply to you it did not apply to you. There are still tons of back hay field elk on this discussion. Maybe I should clarify, hay field and drive up elk as one. Does that change the effects of the bullet on the elk. Not really, if it drops him it drops him. Does the state that bull is in when shot change it, yes. By state I mean alert status. If he is ready to bolt, well unless you stone him the distance traveled will increase in my experience. If he has no idea anyone or anything is around, well the tend to drop quicker.
I am curious if over the next few years, will silencers influence travel after the shot.

The biggest problem I see is not what was shot but the guy behind the trigger, that seems to have the biggest impact on effectiveness.

Just me but I'd take that 308 with the interlocks over the 7 mag with ELD-X.

Let's get this thread hijack rolling!!!

280Ackley

WKR
I don’t understand people saying they will only use .30 min or 6.8 min diameter. You mean to tell me the elk will know the difference between a 130gr 6.5 bullet going 2800 fps out of a CM and 165 gr .30 bullet going 2800 fps out of a 30-06? I really doubt it.

woods89

WKR
Did

Your point is exactly what?

So exactly why did you qoute me? If it did not apply to you it did not apply to you. There are still tons of back hay field elk on this discussion. Maybe I should clarify, hay field and drive up elk as one. Does that change the effects of the bullet on the elk. Not really, if it drops him it drops him. Does the state that bull is in when shot change it, yes. By state I mean alert status. If he is ready to bolt, well unless you stone him the distance traveled will increase in my experience. If he has no idea anyone or anything is around, well the tend to drop quicker.
I am curious if over the next few years, will silencers influence travel after the shot.

The biggest problem I see is not what was shot but the guy behind the trigger, that seems to have the biggest impact on effectiveness.
I went back and re-read your post. Maybe I misunderstood? My impression was you were saying maybe the cartridge being discussed was ok for a hayfield, but hunting in timber was different.

I personally just use the same rifle in the timber or in open country. A 3-4" hole through both lungs hasn't resulted in much distance traveled by the target animal, in my experience, whether in timber or in the open.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I've also heard of outfitters with a .30 caliber minimum rule for their clients, for elk as well as nilgai in Texas. Would I be welcome there with my .308 but not my 7 mag?

CoStick

WKR
I've also heard of outfitters with a .30 caliber minimum rule for their clients, for elk as well as nilgai in Texas. Would I be welcome there with my .308 but not my 7 mag?
I would wonder about outfitters like that and look elsewhere.

I don’t understand people saying they will only use .30 min or 6.8 min diameter. You mean to tell me the elk will know the difference between a 130gr 6.5 bullet going 2800 fps out of a CM and 165 gr .30 bullet going 2800 fps out of a 30-06? I really doubt it.
Yea true. But I’d rather a 200 grain .30 bullet going 2800 fps than the typical 143 grain 6.5 cm goi g 2800

Status
Not open for further replies.