6.5 PRC barrel length?

22” Proof Gunwerks Clymr with Factory 143 ELD X = 2879

I will add I’ve killed quite a few critters with this combo with excellent results. Bighorn sheep, Stone Sheep, Fannin, Caribou, and several deer. From 110 yards to 485 yards all were bang flop, most had small entrance, with quarter sized exit. The exception was the Caribou at 475. It was a big animal and I shot it three times before it went down. One bullet recovered in off hide and looked great. Other two passed through.
elk are usually bigger and tougher than caribou …..

Broz

WKR
22” Proof Gunwerks Clymr with Factory 143 ELD X = 2879

I will add I’ve killed quite a few critters with this combo with excellent results. Bighorn sheep, Stone Sheep, Fannin, Caribou, and several deer. From 110 yards to 485 yards all were bang flop, most had small entrance, with quarter sized exit. The exception was the Caribou at 475. It was a big animal and I shot it three times before it went down. One bullet recovered in off hide and looked great. Other two passed through.
This is good news and as expected from the thicker jacket of the 143 X shown in the pic above. I bet that climber is a sweet rifle for sure. Great choice for the sheep and goat hunts.

bwtitus

FNG
For a hunting rifle in a fast cartridge, I tend to lean toward shorter barrels, especially suppressed. Even with the velocity loss you still see performance that is equal to or better than the "hot rods" of a couple years ago. It'll still kill, and it'll be handier in the woods.

joshf303

Lil-Rokslider
Was hesitant at first, but took the chance and pretty happy with the results...

Had a 18” Bartlien 2B with 5/8s threads that was originally chambered in 6.5 CM for one of my Bighorn TL3s. With a couple more CM rifles in play it wasn’t seeing much use so I sent it off and and had it rechambered for a 6.5 PRC. Initial pressure string over MS showed it wants to run the 147s at 2890 over H4350 Tits IMO for a short suppressed rig, but I’ve never let the loss of velocity bother me for barrels with that purpose.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
Josh that’s awesome MV our of the 18”. I just got an 18” 6.5 CM stick from PVA for my TL3. I’m gonna be using H4350 with it but would love to test the heavier 143+ grain projectiles with RL26 if I can, RL26 in Hawaii is non existent though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshf303

Lil-Rokslider
Josh that’s awesome MV our of the 18”. I just got an 18” 6.5 CM stick from PVA for my TL3. I’m gonna be using H4350 with it but would love to test the heavier 143+ grain projectiles with RL26 if I can, RL26 in Hawaii is non existent though

I’ve used a bunch of R26 in 6.5/6CM 24-26” barrels and love it. Don’t think you are going to get complete burn and the velocities you are after with it in an 18” barrel though.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I'm shooting the 147 at 3060 out of a 25 inch hells canyon armory carbon barreled axial precision rifle. I'm using RL 26, Bertram brass and CCI primers. It's been a hammer on a big boar black bear and a mule deer so far. 650 on the bear and 400 on the deer.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
Broz,

I should have asked, with these new heavier bullets coming out for the 6.5’s. What Twist rate would be best all around to shoot these 143-156 grain bullets out of the PRC? Is 8 twist enough?

Ryan,

I know in another thread you posted an AAR about the 6.5 PRC on elk, and at the end you asked the open ended question or is it capable? This was before the 153 ATip and 156 Berger’s hit the street. With these heavier projectiles do you think the PRC with these two bullets (153 obviously target yet to be proven) should have what it takes over the 140 class bullets on elk?
*for the sake of this question let’s just say .30 and .338 aren’t an option. Strictly grading the heavy 6.5 capability

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
I have a 24" carbon wrapped 5 groove and it sends 156 Bergers just over 3K. We just built a sheep rifle with the same barrel in 20"

Any chance you have any numbers/load data for the 20” 6.5 PRC yet? Just put my order in for a 20” proof with an LPA medium titanium action in a manners EH8.

Broz

WKR
Any chance you have any numbers/load data for the 20” 6.5 PRC yet? Just put my order in for a 20” proof with an LPA medium titanium action in a manners EH8.
The rifle was just shipped and will be here next week. You know the proof is a 4 groove correct?

carter33

WKR
@Broz

I do, given the shorter barrel and my plan to shoot the 143 eldx I felt I was still on the safer side of the possibility of the thin jacket bullets coming apart at high velocity. I am still hoping to achieve at least 2900fps muzzle velocity though. I have heard that gunwerks was loading the 140 vlds over 3000 with a 20” barrel but that they were a bit hot.

I may also load some Barnes or cutting edge monometal bullets.

Broz

WKR
@Broz

I do, given the shorter barrel and my plan to shoot the 143 eldx I felt I was still on the safer side of the possibility of the thin jacket bullets coming apart at high velocity. I am still hoping to achieve at least 2900fps muzzle velocity though. I have heard that gunwerks was loading the 140 vlds over 3000 with a 20” barrel but that they were a bit hot.

I may also load some Barnes or cutting edge monometal bullets.

I think you will be fine with the 143 or the Berger 156, just wade in slow. For sure the Cutting Edge would be a great choice for the most velocity and no worries of terminal performance. The CEB's are very fast bullets with their low drag seal tight band.

Yote Klr

FNG
Yes I would. But my prediction is even the 143 X could be weakened and initial expansion be an issue from a 4 groove 7 twist with big velocity above 3K.

Here is a cutaway pic for reference. 147 M on the left 143 X on the right

View attachment 116282
Hey Jeff, in the attached pic im not seeing much of the internal ' interlock' ring on the ELD-X. Can you confirm it is there, or did they eliminate it?
Also are you using H1000or Retumbo?
Thanks.

Yote Klr

FNG
I don't think it is there. I am using N-565 and 156 Bergers from a 24" , 8 twist 5 groove carbon wrapped and just over 3K
Good. I gave up on the ELDX line of bullets after exhaustive load development in several calibers, cartridges and barrels. I believe my difficulties were because of jacket concentriciy inconsistencies.

If they ditched the internal ring, good on them...good riddance. I might try again.

RTSJ

Lil-Rokslider
Broz

Have u looked at the 139 Scenar? Curious as to it’s jacket thickness. I’m expecting to run them at 3050fps pretty easy in the PRC.

Roy

Totoro

WKR
Hate to dredge up an older thread but I am thinking on a 6.5PRC.

@Broz, with the thin jacket failures are those all handloaded or factory foddler?

Makes me wonder if the combination of faster twist+high velocity+thin jacket+high rpm is the cause of bullet separation?

Or maybe I'm talking outta my rear end?