6.5 PRC elevation effects

Hey folks, I'm preparing for my third season rifle deer hunt in CO and I believe I have my rifle pretty dialed but I know my elevation will change about 2000 feet from my sight in elevation. I have a dope chart set for 5100 ft of elevation and I'll most likely hunt closer to 7-8000 ft. How bad will the difference in elevation affect my bullet drop, say, at 700 yards?

I'm shooting a CA Mesa 6.5 PRC with Hornady Precision hunter ammo, 143 grains

Thank you guys in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Hey folks, I'm preparing for my third season rifle deer hunt in CO and I believe I have my rifle pretty dialed but I know my elevation will change about 2000 feet from my sight in elevation. I have a dope chart set for 5100 ft of elevation and I'll most likely hunt closer to 7-8000 ft. How bad will the difference in elevation affect my bullet drop, say, at 700 yards?

I'm shooting a CA Mesa 6.5 PRC with Hornady Precision hunter ammo, 143 grains

Thank you guys in advance.

According to Strelok, with a 200 yard zero, going from 5000' DA up to 8000' DA you will drop 2.5" less @ 700 yards.

OP
N
According to Strelok, with a 200 yard zero, going from 5000' DA up to 8000' DA you will drop 2.5" less @ 700 yards.
Well that makes it easy. Lol thanks for the info.

hrnhntr

FNG
I’d hope if you plan on shooting game at 700 yards you have invested in a ballistics app (free) and taken the time to confirm your velocity and drops of the rifle to ranges much further than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This!

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah if you're even entertaining a long range shot, I wouldn't worry about elevation. Get a reputable ballistic solver that allows you to enter environmentals. Also, get an instrument that will give you station or absolute barometric pressure, and temperature. Baro and temp are the most critical environmental factors you need to know. Baro can change throughout the day at the same elevation. Going off a guess based on an elevation you have zeroed at previously is not precise enough.