6.5 PRC

ofl0926

WKR
I just got in a "fight" with my wife, she insisted I buy a bigger safe than I was looking at. So I wouldnt complain in a couple years it was too small... she won, I have a 72x48 shipping soon.

On the 6.5 prc, I have one on order that should be here March 8th... a week after my new safe.

hahahahaha.
my pops preached to me the same thing about the gun safe.
my rifle wont be hear till June

elkguide

WKR
I just got in a "fight" with my wife, she insisted I buy a bigger safe than I was looking at. So I wouldnt complain in a couple years it was too small... she won, I have a 72x48 shipping soon.

On the 6.5 prc, I have one on order that should be here March 8th... a week after my new safe.

Man. That must have been a tough fight to lose!!!!!

carter33

WKR
What barrel length is everyone running on the 6.5 PRC? I think it will be my next build even though I am likely a year out from doing so. The idea I’m tossing around is an 18 or 20 inch barrel paired with a thunder beast ultra 5. Any negatives other than a slight velocity loss? Would I need to be concerned with using slower burning powders like h1000 and not having it all burn?

20190221_164145.jpg
This is factory 143 eldx ammo durimg barrel break in out if my Ridgeline shots 7,8&9 at 100yards. I didnt chrono it this trip i will next time out.

wildcat33

WKR
If Lapua starts making cases for it, it's probably gonna make it. Too bad it doesn't fit well in a short action.

Im with you on this. The action length is a bit of a conundrum. Just doesnt make sense to me to run it in SA, can of course run LA, but then that opens up a whole nuther thing. Which leaves mid-length. And that leaves me asking, what does it compete with in the mid-length action class? So my heads just goes around in circles...

That said, thinking of a build with an XM length lone peak razor ti, the new manners UC stock, and bart 2b gives me a chub.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think she will make it. It’s the only Sammi spec round in that velocity node. The action deal is very screwy but custom rifles sales are at an all-time high.

I am building a short barrel 6.5 PRC using the defiance XM ultralight action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
I did pick up more velocity with the exact same load from virgin to once fired in lapua brass which was interesting. And yes it was RL-26.

I typically see that with large magnums. It seems as if some of the energy is absorbed in expanding the brass. If I happen to find a load the rifle likes with new brass I just back the charge off with fired brass to reach the velocity of the new brass. With a forgiving cartridge such as the Creedmoor you may not even need to change the load.

Kotaman

WKR
Yeah, as a dedicated sheep rifle, I’m not gonna quibble over a couple hundred feet per second to risk a change in accuracy. It is dialed in to 800 yards and I’m not willing to start over just to see how fast it will go.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yeah, as a dedicated sheep rifle, I’m not gonna quibble over a couple hundred feet per second to risk a change in accuracy. It is dialed in to 800 yards and I’m not willing to start over just to see how fast it will go.

I'd love to go on a sheep hunt, much less go enough to have a dedicated rifle for it.
Congrats!