6.5 WEATHERBY RPM

It does the same thing as a 6.5 PRC. PRC impact velocity @ 100 yards = RPM impact velocity at about 175 yards all else being similar.

I have a RPM. In calm wind conditions I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on an elk up to 450-500 but would prefer closer. I’ve found myself still carrying my 300wsm when I elk hunt though just for more knockdown power and less wind impact if windy. My rpm is my go to for antelope and mountain mule deer though.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
They are knocking elk over left and right with .223,22 creed,.243 win, 6.5 creeds. Go look at the threads on the firearms forum. I think your rpm will be a great elk cartridge.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I have a RPM. In calm wind conditions I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on an elk up to 450-500 but would prefer closer. I’ve found myself still carrying my 300wsm when I elk hunt though just for more knockdown power and less wind impact if windy. My rpm is my go to for antelope and mountain mule deer though.
What 30 cal bullets are you shooting? Most of the common 6.5 offerings have outrageous BCs (aka wind bucking). I would expect a 6.5 shooter to run 142 ABLR, 143 ELDX, 147 ELDM, 156 EOL. If you are not a reloader and shooting common factory ammo I could see your point (accubond, lrx, partition?). Everyone has bullet types they favor!

You have to step up to 210+ gr bullets in 30 cal to match it (212 ELD, 210 ABLR, etc). But then you are most likely down on velocity and up on time of flight. Just looking at some ballistics, 6.5 would give you ~ 2-3 inches less wind deflection compared to a 300 wsm in a comparable bullet at 500 yards (208 berger long range, 210 ABLR). And if you are running a true 300 wsm short action you might not be able to seat those bullets out long enough, so you are restricted to even lighter bullet weights. Just food for thought.

Don't discredit the 6.5 for windy conditions. Running a 147 ELDM or 156 EOL at 3000 fps is insane and gives you a lot of margin of error in those types of environments. Also the advantage of less recoil, spotting shots, and muzzle blast considerations.

Last edited:

Wyohunth

FNG
I've killed a few elk with a 6.5 RPM using 124 grain Hammer Hunters-Although I'm not 100% sold on the performance of copper bullets, it's plenty for elk. As mentioned above, people are having great success with less. Bullets not headstamps.