6 ARC as a 400+ Yard Hunting Cartridge?

I built a Howa Mini 6 ARC bolt action rifle with a B&C stock. I have 103 grain ELD-X and 108 grain ELD-M handloads that have me hitting the 1800 FPS threshold right at 600 yards. KE is sub 1,000 lbs at those ranges. Both loads are right are under a minute of precision/accuracy.

The rifle is an excellent platform because scoped out it is right at 9 lbs and spotting shots is ridiculously easy.

With that said, would any of you be hesitant taking shots at thin skinned game like deer over 400 yards? Regardless of the ballistic data, I've had some people say the 6 ARC is "anemic" at longer ranges.

What are your thoughts? The 6 ARC is a fun little cartridge.

IMG_0119.jpeg

I plan on the same cartridge for my wife to use on anything she gets a tag for out to 400 yards. She doesnt shoot enough to be proficient farther than that so I think it will be the perfect set up for her.

OP
General RE LEE
I plan on the same cartridge for my wife to use on anything she gets a tag for out to 400 yards. She doesnt shoot enough to be proficient farther than that so I think it will be the perfect set up for her.

You might like it yourself. Its a sweet shooter.

zdc1775

FNG
Personally I limit my 6ARC to sub 400, that isn't due to it being ineffective beyond that but the fact that I have a 6 Creedmoor that weighs about the same, has a better optic, and launches the same bullet about 300 fps faster to give me a bit flatter trajectory and less wind drift, and for me shooting game animals at those ranges having that little bit more margin of error just give me more confidence in my shots.

Juan_ID

WKR
My wife used a 6arc to shoot a mule deer buck last year at beyond 400 yards and it worked just fine. Shooting a 108 eldm handload that had a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps. She’ll likely be using a 22cal this year as will I.

OP
General RE LEE
My wife used a 6arc to shoot a mule deer buck last year at beyond 400 yards and it worked just fine. Shooting a 108 eldm handload that had a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps. She’ll likely be using a 22cal this year as will I.

Thats the specs of my load. 108 ELDM 2700 FPS.

Juan_ID

WKR
Looks like a nice little package you have there. Mine was just under 10lbs setup I believe, and that was with a lightweight mdt ckye pod. Was a really fun little rifle, hoping I like the new 22gt as much. Hopefully more

MThuntr

WKR
I can squeeze 2600 (ish) out of my 20in Howa and 106TAP though that's at the top end. Suppressed it's like shooting a 22lr and a dream to shoot. I think the 6 ARC to 400 is probably ideal and would be my preferred max for hunting. Mine is almost hideous but fun with a zombie green Boyd's AT-one stock and Athlon Helos 4-20. Fairly heavy little rifle but points nice.

At my elevation a 108 eld m at 2700 has the necessary velocity for game out 800 yards and I wouldn’t hesitate at all using it on deer. I’d use it for elk as well I’d just be picky about the shot I take and send it.