6 Creed Eldx vs Eldm for 🦌

DosAmigos

FNG
I’m currently waiting on my 6 creed to be finished and looking for suggestions on factory ammo. Thanks

The 6 CM is a cool cartridge, for sure. It's my new favorite "general hunting" round, as it works great for everything from prairie dogs to bear. It may not be the ideal elk cartridge, but it's a hell of a lot more lethal than an arrow and should work fine for 90+percent of all elk opportunities.
I've not killed a lot of game with the 6 CM, but the loads I've used are Hornady's 103-gr. ELD-X Precision Hunter and 108-gr. ELD-Match. Both kill far quicker than the 6.5 CM (and many other hunting cartridges). I suggest buying a few boxes of each and seeing what your rifle shoots best. Trust me, the animals won't know the difference between the 103 or the 108. In fact, the 108 might hold together better, which seems counterintuitive due to it being a "match" bullet. Good luck!

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have shot a few elk with my 6 creed using 108 ELDMs. They shoot really well out of my rifle but you should always test out the 103s too. Check out the 6 UM thread and you should be able to get some good data off of there!

Unckebob

WKR
I just sold my 6CM target rifle yesterday. There was nothing wrong with the cartridge, I just didn't like the rifle.

It performed very much like my 243 except with bigger, high BC bullets. For deer sized game, the ELD-X should be perfect and is what Hornady recommends. They will tell you the ELD-m's jacket is too thin ad the bullet will grenade if it hits something hard.

If you don't like the ELDx for some reason, there are lots of ammo options and bullets to hand load. I like Nosler BT bullets or Tipped Game Kings if they like my guns.

If I hunted big game like Elk, I would want a sturdier bullet like this:
1) 95g LRX
2) 100g Partition

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Ive killed dozens of feral hogs with factory loaded 108eldm from a 6 cm. I would feel confident shooting anything in North America with them.

The 108 ELDM shoot more accurately out of my gun than the 103 do. I use it for coyotes mostly. But did shoot and antelope and let a kid shoot an elk with it last winter.

This is a bit off topic, but it relates to using Hornady's ELD-M bullet on game. Last fall, I used or witnessed the 147-grain ELD-M in a 6.5 PRC kill four animals: a whitetail buck (320 yards), WY bull elk (470 yards), and two aoudad rams (350 and 406 yards). I was nervous, especially on the aoudad and elk, but not one took a step. I am sold on using this "match" bullet on game.

rcook10

WKR
I have had good luck with ELDMs at lower velocities in a grendel and creedmoor with behind the shoulder shots but they ******* EXPLODE if you hit any real bone. ELDX have held up much better even at 270 velocities and close range (75ish tads with full pass through). OP you will kill game with either but i'd be mindfull of how much meat you want to take home and your shot placement.

bbell

WKR
I have had good luck with ELDMs at lower velocities in a grendel and creedmoor with behind the shoulder shots but they ******* EXPLODE if you hit any real bone. ELDX have held up much better even at 270 velocities and close range (75ish tads with full pass through). OP you will kill game with either but i'd be mindfull of how much meat you want to take home and your shot placement.
Interesting. I’ve only shot a few animals with the 123gr eldm but the two that were in the shoulder passed though the offside and didn’t appear to grenade at all.

To the OP, I would love to set up a 6mm creedmoor shooting 108eldm’s. I think that will be a wicked setup.

OP
DosAmigos

DosAmigos

FNG
Thanks for all the useful information. I will see which produce the best groups and will go from there. Good luck to all