6mm 107 SMK on game

270 115g SMK's are a hammer on whitetail. Personally, If i started using them again, I'd go for a neck or head shot though because they are explosive. Liquified lungs and shredded heart. I stopped using them when I found some copper jacket in my backstrap cuts.... The bullet on that particular deer had an entry hole a few inches below mid chest and I was shooting at a downward angle......

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone using these on game?

Like nearly all SMK’s they exhibit variable terminal performance. Sometimes they penetrate a few inches then fragment violently. Sometimes they penetrate a few inches then expand from the front as most expect. Sometimes they penetrate a few inches then yaw (tumble) creating very large wounds. And sometimes they penetrate through the animal with little, to no upset at all.

If using them, opening the tip up a bit helps dramatically.

EdP

WKR
A better option in my opinion is the 100 gr GK, a bullet actually designed for use on game vs the MK that is not. The 100 gr GKs shoot great from my 6mm Rem and have done a fine job on both antelope and whitetail. They are also currently available from quite a few suppliers.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Like nearly all SMK’s they exhibit variable terminal performance.
Any experience with or input on the TGK's? I've wanted to try them and finally found some 7mm 165's in stock, so I may be this fall if they shoot well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any experience with or input on the TGK's? I've wanted to try them and finally found some 7mm 165's in stock, so I may be this fall if they shoot well.

TGK’s are relatively deep penetrating, narrow wounding projectiles. Somewhere between a Barnes mono and a “tough” bonded bullet.