6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

Tyrus001

FNG
It’s because they don’t open up and fragment like the eldm/tmk bullets. The guys chasing the smaller diameter less recoiling rifles in general want to get into the lungs/heart and rapid expand to disrupt the Circulatory & and respiratory system as much as possible so the brain is starved of as much oxygen as possible and dies. Because that is ultimately how animals die.

My experience with them is quite opposite. The forward 1/3 of the bullet fragments almost immediately inside the animal. Usually there’s a hole, and there will be 4 or so smaller holes in a pattern around the main exit where the fragments exit as well. The insides are absolute soup. I haven’t shot the HHT yet, but the pics I’ve seen on their forum are pretty impressive as well.
What you are referring to I have seen from Barnes bullets. These bullets are a harder copper that fragments.

06 SB

FNG
I started out with a Rem600 Mohawk in 243 then got a Rem760 in 243. I have used handloads for the majority. 100gr Remington CL, Sierra 100gr GK and Hornady 100gr IL all downed both Mule deer and Whitetail deer for me without a failure. Same with javelina and coyotes. When my kids got old enough to shoot, I loaded 85gr Barnes TSX and they have been great as well. My only “failure” was a small WT that I shot at 3 yards. It was literally just past the rifle’s muzzle. When the bullet hit a rib, the petals broke off. The petals all stayed in the heart while the shank passed through the heart and out through the offside shoulder. It was still over 3200fps at impact which would be hard for any bullet to stay together.

Ramem7mm

FNG
I know it was already mentioned a few post earlier that the all copper bullets for various reasons don't perform the same as the Bergers, ELD-X/M's, DTACs, NBT etc and it seems that from the 30 pages of this thread that only a minimal amount of people commented with success with all copper bullets but curious if there is more people who are happy with the lead free 6mm bullet. Some of us are not able to use the most desirable bullets because of state laws so I am curious of others success with the lead free options, specific to the title of the thread "6mm/ 243".

06 SB

FNG
I can use any bullets where I hunt and use only Barnes TSX or TTSX in my 243s. My brother has become a believer in the 80gr TSX for deer.

Ramem7mm

FNG
My first rifle was I believe a model 660 6mm Remington and I shot a few deer and pigs with it. It was a borrowed rifle so it didn't stay long. My wife now has a 243 and I have the 70 Gr Hammer Bullets but I am not able to get the gun to shoot very well with them or with a few other bullets. This thread has me contemplating getting rid of the gun and starting over and the reason I ask about the copper bullets is because I would have to develop a round for it so I was curious if there was some common lead free consensus on a cartridge/ bullet combo to switch to.

I have shot other Hammer Bullets with great accuracy so its probably a worth while path to research too.

My first rifle was I believe a model 660 6mm Remington and I shot a few deer and pigs with it. It was a borrowed rifle so it didn't stay long. My wife now has a 243 and I have the 70 Gr Hammer Bullets but I am not able to get the gun to shoot very well with them or with a few other bullets. This thread has me contemplating getting rid of the gun and starting over and the reason I ask about the copper bullets is because I would have to develop a round for it so I was curious if there was some common lead free consensus on a cartridge/ bullet combo to switch to.

I have shot other Hammer Bullets with great accuracy so its probably a worth while path to research too.

Unclecroc

FNG
I know it was already mentioned a few post earlier that the all copper bullets for various reasons don't perform the same as the Bergers, ELD-X/M's, DTACs, NBT etc and it seems that from the 30 pages of this thread that only a minimal amount of people commented with success with all copper bullets but curious if there is more people who are happy with the lead free 6mm bullet. Some of us are not able to use the most desirable bullets because of state laws so I am curious of others success with the lead free options, specific to the title of the thread "6mm/ 243".
I have switched all my rifles for hunting big game to coppers(hammers in specific). For 6mm specifically I have experience with the 88 hammer hunter, 90hht and 75hht. I can say the hht does open quicker on less resistance shots like ribs or paunch meat.
As far as a worry about disrupting organ tissue vs a lead core bullet there is none. From my experience the base will make a 1.5”-2.5” hole through soft organ tissue and the petals that have shed will cut their own path and cause additional hemorrhaging. The longest track job I’ve had has been 70 yards using hammers and that was a whitetail at 465 yards on a double lung hit with a 88 hh. But she left a good blood trail and was easy to find.
Hammers are a great blend of expansion and penetration. Penetration is where soft lead bullets lack especially at higher impact velocities. With a hammer I can push it as fast as I want only knowing terminal performance gets better as speed increases.
A hunting partner of mine uses Barnes bullets in his 243, the 80 ttsx and he has been very happy with the performance on them as well.
I used to be a rapid expansion, dump energy guy until I had a bullet failure and lost an animal. I haven’t looked back since going to hammers.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
Less than 500 yards on game- 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I would also try the 95gr Sierra TMK as it might stabilize in your gun and conditions.

Would you recommend these for a 16.5” barreled 243? I have a Ruger M77 Mii. If so, what distance would you recommend or how much would the velocity change with the shorter barrel compared to what Winchester has on their box?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would you recommend these for a 16.5” barreled 243? I have a Ruger M77 Mii. If so, what distance would you recommend or how much would the velocity change with the shorter barrel compared to what Winchester has on their box?

The 95gr NBT? Yes, they will work well from your gun. Figure 25-30 fps per inch.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
The 95gr NBT? Yes, they will work well from your gun. Figure 25-30 fps per inch.
Yes, sorry the 95 NBT in the Winchester silver tip you recommended. What velocity is that bullet upsetting? And is the only way of knowing that from shooting it into proper ballistic gel at different velocities? I’m wondering where I could find that info on different bullets

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yes, sorry the 95 NBT in the Winchester silver tip you recommended. What velocity is that bullet upsetting?

1,800fps

And is the only way of knowing that from shooting it into proper ballistic gel at different velocities?

Generally correct.

I’m wondering where I could find that info on different bullets

Unfortunately it’s either hard to find, or doesn’t publicly exist currently.

General behavior is similar to a Berger- 3-4” neck length, then near total fragmentation. Absolutely the best wound channels from lead free options.

Sorry Form if this isn’t the right place but what is the minimum velocity for adequate expansion on thin skinned game like deer for the 108 grain ELDM? How about the 103 ELDX? 1700 FPS makes my 108 ELDM and 103 ELDX hand-loads capable a bit past 600 yards.

texag10

WKR
Sorry Form if this isn’t the right place but what is the minimum velocity for adequate expansion on thin skinned game like deer for the 108 grain ELDM? How about the 103 ELDX? 1700 FPS makes my 108 ELDM and 103 ELDX hand-loads capable a bit past 600 yards.
He's said before 1800 fps is the lower end for reliable upset from ELDX/M/TMKs, Berger hunting bullets you really want 1900fps or above

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
My dad 20 years ago. He said 1 shot on the run 80 grain core lokts at 60 yards
2cee5babe461b3f5cf1fe54237e2548b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkp005

WKR
Finally got some kills with the 95gr tmk launched out of an 18” creed.

1st hog was about 100yds away
2780ish impact velocity
Pretty good sized boar angled towards me. Shot him right under the ear. Bullet traveled all the way through to the opposite shoulder. Bullet was lodged on the outside of the shoulder and stop just at the “shield” . It f’d him up good. Never even kicked .

Attachments

• IMG_9249.jpeg
    IMG_9249.jpeg
    804.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9271.jpeg
    IMG_9271.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9261.jpeg
    IMG_9261.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9264.jpeg
    IMG_9264.jpeg