6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

SC HUNTER

FNG
I killed around 25 deer with a Encore in 243 over the years. I shot the majority of those deer with 100 grain Winchester pointed soft points. Very few of those deer ran more than 20 yards and the ones that did run left good blood trails. I've killed bucks up to 225 lbs with one of those being a 210 pound 9 point at 260 yards on a gas line. He stumbled 10 feet and fell over.

Couldnt quite commit to a 223 for my do all deer and elk gun, but pretty darn pumped at how well this combo has been performing. 6 creed with a swfa 6x mq. Been ringing a 10in plate at 500yd consistently. Getting ~2850 out of a modest 40gr charge of h4350 under 108 eldm from a 20in barrel. Right around 2150 at 500. I think there is room to push velocity but I won't bother as it shoots good and does what is needed as is. Depends what tags are filled in archery season, but should at least get a crack at a whitetail doe and cow elk with 108 eldm come rifle season.

20230726_190409.jpg20230725_174332.jpg

What 6mm creed barrel are you using?

Also how do you like that b&c stock, you have to do anything to it or everything drop in and fit fine?

PBB pre fit. Very happy with it.

Funny you ask on the stock, I really like the bc tikka long range sporter. Vertical enough grip, can shim the cheek peice for negative comb, but the one I most recently got had pretty bad inletting issues, bc is taking care of it and swapping for a new one. Luckily I have an identical good one that that I modified a bit to fit on my t1x 22. The 6mm currently wears that one.

I have had pretty good luck with bc over the years. They always require a bit of touch up on the inletting, but nothing major. The recent faulty one had pretty obvious signs that the bedding block was not aligned with the barrel channel and the barrel pointed down and touched even after removing quite a bit of material from the channel. Happpy they are taking care of it and we will see what the new one looks like.

PBB pre fit. Very happy with it.

Funny you ask on the stock, I really like the bc tikka long range sporter. Vertical enough grip, can shim the cheek peice for negative comb, but the one I most recently got had pretty bad inletting issues, bc is taking care of it and swapping for a new one. Luckily I have an identical good one that that I modified a bit to fit on my t1x 22. The 6mm currently wears that one.

I have had pretty good luck with bc over the years. They always require a bit of touch up on the inletting, but nothing major. The recent faulty one had pretty obvious signs that the bedding block was not aligned with the barrel channel and the barrel pointed down and touched even after removing quite a bit of material from the channel. Happpy they are taking care of it and we will see what the new one looks like.
It's a very good looking rifle.

I've read good things about PBB prefits. Glad to see another person happy with them.

I really like the looks and features you mentioned. I haven't handled on but the grip seems to be at that just right angle. I don't care for a lot of vertical grips.
I don't know of a bc stock that hasn't required a little bit of trimming hahaha.
Glad they're taking care of the faulty one for you and the new one shows up better. My customer service experience with them asking some questions on the phone was great.

Looks like you've got a pretty good shooter and looking forward to seeing some results with it.

HGL

FNG
One bullet that I've had absolutely great results with over the years in my .243 is the 90 grain Accubond. I have yet to catch one and they almost always result in DRT (high shoulder). The current .243 barrel is toast and it's getting converted to a 1-7" 6creed, so I'll probably lean toward the heavies in that one, but I wouldn't hesitate at all to use the 90 AB or the 95 BT, they kill cleanly and effectively.

I hope to have the 6creed ready for this year's season and I have (300) 103 ELDx to burn, but after that, leaning toward the 105 Hybrid or 108 Elites.

Attachments

• 9 243 b.jpg
    9 243 b.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 9 243.JPG
    9 243.JPG
    590.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Pig leaner.JPG
    Pig leaner.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 87

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Got an 8 twist .243 tikka headed my way. Is the 105 hornady bthp a decent game bullet? I've seen it sprinkled through previous posts, but the 108 eld-m seems more popular. I'll probly try both but the bthp is definitely a lot cheaper where I am for more volume of shooting.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Got an 8 twist .243 tikka headed my way. Is the 105 hornady bthp a decent game bullet? I've seen it sprinkled through previous posts, but the 108 eld-m seems more popular. I'll probly try both but the bthp is definitely a lot cheaper where I am for more volume of shooting.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this rifle once you get a chance to put it through its paces. I love my Rokslide special in .223 but it’s not legal for elk in Wyoming and I recently bought a CTR in 6.5CM that I also love but it’s a bit heavy to hike with.

Was initially considering building a lightweight Tikka in 6CM or 6ARC but now with the addition of the fast twist .243 I’m thinking I could reload it with 108 ELDM’s or 95 TMK’s and have a perfect lightweight elk rifle.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to hear your thoughts on this rifle once you get a chance to put it through its paces. I love my Rokslide special in .223 but it’s not legal for elk in Wyoming and I recently bought a CTR in 6.5CM that I also love but it’s a bit heavy to hike with.

Was initially considering building a lightweight Tikka in 6CM or 6ARC but now with the addition of the fast twist .243 I’m thinking I could reload it with 108 ELDM’s or 95 TMK’s and have a perfect lightweight elk rifle.
Will do for sure. I was also looking at the 6 cm or 6 arc builds but I'm in Canada and the cost of builds components are out of reach for me at this time. Im going to use this rifle to compliment my 223 for hunting deer size game but also to really reach out and play at longer distances.

Does anyone know where I can find one of these in left hand?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have any experience with the hornady 105 bthp or the 112 barnes match burner on game?