6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

Outcast

FNG
I used 140 btsp interlocks in a 270 for years when I first started hunting. No plastic tips existed back then. When I look back it was one of the fastest killing bullets I ever used. Seemed perfect for that cartridge.

I was hopefull the 100’s in the 243 would be similar.

Felix40

WKR
I shot interlocks out of a 24 inch barreled 243 I had built and was not impressed with them on southwestern US size doe. I killed 5 or 6 one weekend on a doe killing trip on a plantation with them. Hardly any of them bled and I put my lab on 3 of them to find them. I shot the last 2 through the shoulders and they bled okay but not anything great. Some folks love them but I'm not one of them.
I would have hated to track this cow with just one shot through the lungs. There was no blood on the ground and it took her probably 3 minutes to die. The hole through the lungs was about the size of my thumb. It seemed very similar to an old core lokt bullet that I used to shoot as a kid. Works fine but definitely no wow factor.

My experience with the Hornady interlock has been less than stellar. Practically cause me to write off the 243 altogether. A couple animals lost with little to no blood on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'm in the right thread- thoughts on Nosler 90 gr Accubonds vs 100 gr Partitions?

Partitions are all I've used up to about 10 years ago or so when then Accubond came out- I really like the Accubond, but all my experience is w/ .30 cals. Have a new .243, so looking at these two (not hand loading)

Thanks

I think I'm in the right thread- thoughts on Nosler 90 gr Accubonds vs 100 gr Partitions?

Partitions are all I've used up to about 10 years ago or so when then Accubond came out- I really like the Accubond, but all my experience is w/ .30 cals. Have a new .243, so looking at these two (not hand loading)

Thanks
Which ever shoots better? I prefer the partitions for sub 400 yard stuff but wouldn’t turn accubonds down if they shot better.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a few boxes of the Accubonds, I'll grab a couple of boxes of the Partitions and see how they do :)

Guessing a little advantage to the 100 gr bullet for bigger game???

I've got a few boxes of the Accubonds, I'll grab a couple of boxes of the Partitions and see how they do :)

Guessing a little advantage to the 100 gr bullet for bigger game???
I grew up shooting 100g partitions out of a 243 and it was a deer hammer period! I’d have no qualms shooting an elk with one if conditions were right. As you know depending on who you talk to you will PRP/cons for either.

nobody

WKR
@mtwarden don’t rule out the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for the 243. The guy who designed it (supposedly) designed the 6mm version specifically to hunt elk with his 243. If/when I ever purchase a 243 or a 6mm creedmoor, that bullet is on my short list.

Between the 2 you listed, I say accubond. But the 95gr Ballistic Tip over both.

BLJ

WKR
@mtwarden don’t rule out the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for the 243. The guy who designed it (supposedly) designed the 6mm version specifically to hunt elk with his 243. If/when I ever purchase a 243 or a 6mm creedmoor, that bullet is on my short list.

Between the 2 you listed, I say accubond. But the 95gr Ballistic Tip over both.
This will be the second time I’ve led @mtwarden to water…………..😁😁

And if anyone else is looking for them.

Good price, too. Dealt with them a bunch. There GTG.

Hthunter

FNG
Appears the Ballistic Tip is a handload option, but these guys sell it loaded, might have to give that bullet a go too :D

https://coppercreekcartridgeco.com/product/243-95bt/
I’ve bought 95 ballistic tip from federal as well. Not sure if they are in stock or not, website was slow.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve bought 95 ballistic tip from federal as well. Not sure if they are in stock or not, website was slow.
The usual federal premium site doesn’t list these as available. Have you purchased from the slightly less official seeming linked site to vouch for it?

@mtwarden if you're looking loaded 95gr NBT the Winchester Supreme Silver tip 95gr is the same bullet but with the black lubalox coating and a silver plastic tip.
Haven't killed anything yet with the 95gr .243 but have killed lots with winchester .30-'06 168gr NBT silver tips. Bullet has always performed great.

Hthunter

FNG
Also I’ve learned on here that the Winchester loaded 95 ballistic silvertips are the same bullet. They’re my current preference in the absence of the federal premium ammo.
I have not bought from that site. I was using as reference for that federal loading as a factory option and didn’t realize at time posted that it wasn’t their official site. My bad, I probably wouldn’t recommend that site. I have used the Winchester silver tip as well. Have bought federal in the past. I didn’t use it last year.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
This will be the second time I’ve led @mtwarden to water…………..😁😁

And if anyone else is looking for them.

Good price, too. Dealt with them a bunch. There GTG.
Thanks man!

mcseal2

WKR
I've had really good performance from the 90gr accubond on deer and coyotes. It's a great bullet.