6mm-284 lets hear it!

Long story short I'm in love with a gun for the 1st time in my life with my 25-284 build! I've been using it religiously for the last year and it's done everything and more that I've asked of it.

My fellow hunters are starting to see the light and enjoying the benefits of small calibers going fast, and I just spun on another 25-284 barrel for a good buddy.

My father wants to build a lightweight, fast gun with low recoil. The build will be off of a tikka standard bolt face action. I'm leaning heavily on a 6-284 for him. For those that have dabbled with it, is it as simple as the 25, where you just full length size 6.5-284 brass? If so I think this is the ticket.

I'm guessing 3100fps with 108s abd retumbo or n570 would be attainable out of an 18" barrel suppressed?

Side note. He already has the donor gun so no 6UM or other mag bolt face cartridges.

If you've built one or have any experience with the cartridge tell me everything!

B23

WKR
My 6-284 was one of the very first rifles I had "built" and is one of my favorite rifles. I had mine built mostly to shoot coyotes with so it has a 12tw barrel on it which is slower than most use but I have a 8tw Broughton I'm getting ready to put on a long action that'll be setup to shoot the Berger 105's and Hornady 108 ELD-M or 110 A-Tip.

I use Redding 6-284 dies and it's a one pass and done for me with Lapua 6.5-284 brass.

OP
B
My 6-284 was one of the very first rifles I had "built" and is one of my favorite rifles. I had mine built mostly to shoot coyotes with so it has a 12tw barrel on it which is slower than most use but I have a 8tw Broughton I'm getting ready to put on a long action that'll be setup to shoot the Berger 105's and Hornady 108 ELD-M or 110 A-Tip.

I use Redding 6-284 dies and it's a one pass and done for me with Lapua 6.5-284 brass.
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! How far off am I on my velocity numbers do you figure?

Interested in what you find I’m in the same boat standard bolt face tikka and really have an itch for a fast 6 but on the fence if I hit the east button and go 6 creed or something like your idea

OP
B
Interested in what you find I’m in the same boat standard bolt face tikka and really have an itch for a fast 6 but on the fence if I hit the east button and go 6 creed or something like your idea
If and when this is what we go with I'll post an update on what kind of numbers we are getting with it.

B23

WKR
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! How far off am I on my velocity numbers do you figure?
Using a 18in barrel will neuter the velocity compared to something with a 26in tube but you'll probably be real close to 3100 w/108's out of a 18in pipe.

You mentioned you all ready have a Tikka with standard bolt face so you can't do a 6UM but have you thought about having the bolt face opened up on your bolt so you can do a 6UM? I talked to Karl Kampfeld w/Kampfeld Custom a couple weeks ago and Karl opens up standard bolt face Tikka bolts to magnum .535 size so it's an option for you if you wanted to go that route. Call and talk to Karl about it he's a hell of a nice guy and will answer questions you may have about it.

ThatDUDE

WKR
I have also been thinking a 6-284 could be my ticket as well. There just isn’t a ton of information for them when I have looked. I would hope to add 100-150 fps over the 6 Creed. Don’t know if that is realistic.

OP
B
Using a 18in barrel will neuter the velocity compared to something with a 26in tube but you'll probably be real close to 3100 w/108's out of a 18in pipe.

You mentioned you all ready have a Tikka with standard bolt face so you can't do a 6UM but have you thought about having the bolt face opened up on your bolt so you can do a 6UM? I talked to Karl Kampfeld w/Kampfeld Custom a couple weeks ago and Karl opens up standard bolt face Tikka bolts to magnum .535 size so it's an option for you if you wanted to go that route. Call and talk to Karl about it he's a hell of a nice guy and will answer questions you may have about it.

I appreciate the input but to be completely honest the velocity gain of the 6UM doesn't matter much to me (or my dad). Just want to be at or above 3000fps out of a short barrel with 108 sized bullets. The creed almost gets us where we want to be but at 18" it will inevitably fall short. I'm also a fan of the 284 parent case, and it sounds like we will achieve our goal easily enough.

ThatDUDE

WKR
I appreciate the input but to be completely honest the velocity gain of the 6UM doesn't matter much to me (or my dad). Just want to be at or above 3000fps out of a short barrel with 108 sized bullets. The creed almost gets us where we want to be but at 18" it will inevitably fall short. I'm also a fan of the 284 parent case, and it sounds like we will achieve our goal easily enough.
I am in the same boat. I don’t want, or really need, all the performance the 6 UM can offer. I might have to just dive in and give it a go. I could make it my dedicated elk gun and run the DTACS.

OP
B
I am in the same boat. I don’t want, or really need, all the performance the 6 UM can offer. I might have to just dive in and give it a go. I could make it my dedicated elk gun and run the DTACS.
It's a solid option but the 284 gets me where I need to go without extra recoil and I don't have to fireform

ThatDUDE

WKR
Long story short I'm in love with a gun for the 1st time in my life with my 25-284 build! I've been using it religiously for the last year and it's done everything and more that I've asked of it.

I have also followed a lot of your 25-284 posts. You have had me really considering that route also.

OP
B
I have also followed a lot of your 25-284 posts. You have had me really considering that route also.
25 gives an edge on wind drift and drops a bit more based on a few hypothetical data sets I ran in applied ballistics. For an ultra light set up I can only assume the 6-284 is the way to go to keep the recoil down. For my somewhat "heavier" gun I'm loving the wind advantage of the 25.

Do you recall what he would charge for this? Asking for a friend ya know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatDUDE

WKR
Do you recall what he would charge for this? Asking for a friend ya know

Last time I checked it was about $100. I have messaged him on Facebook. He was great to communicate with on prices and project ideas.

Well that’s way cheaper than buying a new bolt or gun now I have some thinking to do dang it rokslide might get me again. That’s honestly a better price than I thought not that I need the extra speed of a 6um but I wouldn’t load it down either.

Sorry I was thinking Kinport Peak Rifles. I know a few guys on here who got bolts done.

I’ll keep that in mind I’m still really liking the idea of a 6-284 would just need the barrel and could swap to any other standard cartridge and do most of my shooting saving the barrel life

The 6-284 would be a great rifle with plenty of speed for what it sounds like he wants to do with it.

I’m sold on the 25-284 and that cartridge will be in my near future! Just waiting on a couple other rifles to finish up lol….

OP
B
The 6-284 would be a great rifle with plenty of speed for what it sounds like he wants to do with it.

I’m sold on the 25-284 and that cartridge will be in my near future! Just waiting on a couple other rifles to finish up lol….
You won't regret that 25. It brings a smile to my face when I'm shooting windy conditions with the 6.5 creed and then pull out the 25 for a couple shots. It bucks it so well!

ThatDUDE

WKR
There is so little data around that I can find with the 6-284. What are your guys bets on velocity over the 6 Creedmoor with the same bullet. Am I wrong to think at least 100 fps more?