6mm prc

I really like the sounds of one of these but i don't have business shooting critters far enough that it's a notable step up from a 6 creed.. Been trying to keep myself from falling into the trap of building something I dont need.. Either this or a 25-6.5 PRC to be my "big gun" if I end up selling my SAUM and WM.

@amassi - who did your barrel, what reamer did they use?

amassi

WKR
I really like the sounds of one of these but i don't have business shooting critters far enough that it's a notable step up from a 6 creed.. Been trying to keep myself from falling into the trap of building something I dont need.. Either this or a 25-6.5 PRC to be my "big gun" if I end up selling my SAUM and WM.

Preferred barrel blanks
No idea what reamer they have but it’s just a straight 6-prc with no adjustment to case at all.
25 prc is also a great cartridge
But yes the only advantage for me in the 6prc over a 6cm is wind. I’m not using the additional range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_Widdy

FNG

Twisted barrel in Wyoming has a reamer also.

tito_zako

FNG
Thanks brockel for starting this thread!
I’m also interested in a 6. After reading the 6UM thread, it seems like a great catridge but I don’t want to deal with fire forming brass… Seems like 6prc wouldn’t have that requirement.
Wondering what kind of MV I could get with a 20in barrel shooting 115gr bullets loaded with 570 powder?

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks brockel for starting this thread!
I’m also interested in a 6. After reading the 6UM thread, it seems like a great catridge but I don’t want to deal with fire forming brass… Seems like 6prc wouldn’t have that requirement.
Wondering what kind of MV I could get with a 20in barrel shooting 115gr bullets loaded with 570 powder?

That’s right where I am at too. Don’t want to waste barrel life fireforming. 6.5 Saum brass supply often isn’t great, and I don’t want to have to buy 5$ fire formed brass. I like the concept though.

Ryan said with his 6um and the 115 he got 3200 fps out of a 20” barrel using 7828 to fire form. With fire formed brass and n570 he hit max at 3386 and then dropped it a grain and settled at 3346. I don’t have first hand experience with either but from what I have gathered from reading forums and talking to others the Saum typically gains about 50 fps over the prc. Then adding the ai shoulder typically gains another 50-100 fps.

I believe with lapua brass, 115s, 20” barrel and the 6mm prc 3200fps should be attainable but I am hoping for 3250. My plan is to try these first when my rifle is done in a couple months. If I can’t achieve something close to that then I will drop to the 108eldm.

tito_zako

FNG
That’s right where I am at too. Don’t want to waste barrel life fireforming. 6.5 Saum brass supply often isn’t great, and I don’t want to have to buy 5$ fire formed brass. I like the concept though.

Ryan said with his 6um and the 115 he got 3200 fps out of a 20” barrel using 7828 to fire form. With fire formed brass and n570 he hit max at 3386 and then dropped it a grain and settled at 3346. I don’t have first hand experience with either but from what I have gathered from reading forums and talking to others the Saum typically gains about 50 fps over the prc. Then adding the ai shoulder typically gains another 50-100 fps.

I believe with lapua brass, 115s, 20” barrel and the 6mm prc 3200fps should be attainable but I am hoping for 3250. My plan is to try these first when my rifle is done in a couple months. If I can’t achieve something close to that then I will drop to the 108eldm.

Nice, so you already working on this project!
What gun are you building? Action, barrel length, twist, etc?

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Nice, so you already working on this project!
What gun are you building? Action, barrel length, twist, etc?

Nothing too crazy. My wife has a rem 700 mountain 6.5 creed that shoots like crap. They are going to true the action. Open it up to magnum bolt, install m16 extractor, and install Wyatt’s prc mag box. Then it’s getting a threaded ace sp3 spiral fluted 20” 7.5 twist barrel. It’ll stay in the bell and Carlson stock until the rokstock comes out and then it’ll be bedded in one of those. I need to put my deposit down this week. They said the reamer will take about 3 months to get here and it should be done shortly after that. Part of me just wanted to call the rem 700 a wash and pick up another tikka and have it chambered up, but where I already have the action I’m about 500$ ahead to have it modified versus picking up another tikka.

T_Widdy

FNG

I’m not sure you will get 3250 out of a 20” with 115’s. I shoot 115 VLD’s with rl26 right at 3200 in a 24” barrel, but that was with Hornady brass. My new load is a 108 eldm at 3250 with n565 in adg. The brass still kind of needs fire formed to fully seat the shoulder neck because a bushing just won’t go down far enough. With fire formed brass and same charge I lost about 50 fps. So I had to adjust my load after firing, but my brand new loaded rounds still shot great so you’re not completely wasting a round like the 6um.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure you will get 3250 out of a 20” with 115’s. I shoot 115 VLD’s with rl26 right at 3200 in a 24” barrel, but that was with Hornady brass. My new load is a 108 eldm at 3250 with n565 in adg. The brass still kind of needs fire formed to fully seat the shoulder neck because a bushing just won’t go down far enough. With fire formed brass and same charge I lost about 50 fps. So I had to adjust my load after firing, but my brand new loaded rounds still shot great so you’re not completely wasting a round like the 6um.
That’s solid info. Thanks. I’ve never used hornady dies before, but I may order a set of their custom match dies for this project. I normally use Redding and I’m sure they are better, but hornady will build it based off the reamer so where I think a perfect neck down could take place. They are about 250$ so not much more than a set of Redding type s.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

That was with 110 SMKs not 115s

You definitely will not get 3200” with a 20” barrel, 115 and a 6PRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
That was with 110 SMKs not 115s

You definitely will not get 3200” with a 20” barrel, 115 and a 6PRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Copy that, thanks. I’ll likely use the 108 eldm or elite hunter then unless it really likes the 115s better.

I'm eyeing this as I ponder what to do with my "long action" tikka and magnum powder. Practically identical wind drift to a 208 ELD-M @ 2900 FPS with less than half the recoil sounds pretty OK. Should the smaller case capacity vs. the SAUM and UM be enough to push the ideal powder burn rate band up a bit toward H1000, or is N570 still going to stomp everything?

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I'm eyeing this as I ponder what to do with my "long action" tikka and magnum powder. Practically identical wind drift to a 208 ELD-M @ 2900 FPS with less than half the recoil sounds pretty OK. Should the smaller case capacity vs. the SAUM and UM be enough to push the ideal powder burn rate band up a bit toward H1000, or is N570 still going to stomp everything?
I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve got a boatload of 570 I need to use so myself I’m hoping it doesn’t drop to Retumbo or h1000

amassi

WKR

Everything from H4831sc/ N560- retumbo/n570 will work
H1000 might be the ideal powder regarding velocity, stability, case fill and throat erosion.

Bump back up-- if anyone is interested I've got Proof/Lone Peak 6prc barrel that I'm most likely going to spin off, dies as well and some 6.5prc brass

I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve got a boatload of 570 I need to use so myself I’m hoping it doesn’t drop to Retumbo or h1000
If I end up just buying a 6.5 manbun instead and you just can’t stand the 570…well I’ll see if I’m taking a road trip past you anytime soon. I think I have about 11 pounds of h1000 😑

Flyjunky

WKR
How big of a recoil difference is there between a 6creed and 6 prc?

I wanted to go creed but the numbers on the prc are tough to ignore.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Redding micrometer 6.5 prc seating die

What seating stem did you get to work with your 6.5 prc competition seater? I order the 6mm Redding stem for my 6.5 prc dies and it doesn’t fit, there is a ton of slop compared to the 6.5 stem.