700 build questions and options

brushape

WKR
With the New Years Christensen arms sale I couldn't resist and bought myself the first piece of a build I've been dreaming up for a while, a midweight big 338 for western hunting. The first part of this build is a 26" carbon wrapped 1:10 338 barrel. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1484585176.084871.jpg here is my inspiration and what I'm aiming for. Some things I can't figure out are what is really necessary when building off a 700 action, these are:

recoil lugs. Do I really need a double pinned 3/8" lug?

Base screws: how necessary are the 8 40 screws

Bolt timing: I see some guys advertising bolt timing and tigging of the handle but so so many others not.

And last but not least the endless argument of cartridge choice the only three choices are 338 edge, 338 lapua, 338 rum,

the edge seems to be the easiest based on brass and bolt but I'll need to mill the action for the 4" wyatts box

338 rum has harder to find brass, little less volume but no mag box mods really needed

338 lapua has the best brass and can be bought anywhere but needs new bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
technically the recoil lug does not have to be pinned. if bedded right i can remove and change barrels and reinstall with no problem.

there is also a tool to align the lug properly.

coop2424

WKR
Go with a edge or lapua if long range is the key. I have a rum and to run heavy bullets I put in an wyatts box mag and had the action milled. Also the brass issue really sucks with the rum like you said above. When this barrel is shot out I will most likely go to lapua.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Sweet I'm thinking buying the ss 300 rum R.E.M. Long range on saw for $699 and getting her trued and barreled to edge will be my best bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brush
On a heavy hitter like that I'd pin the lug and use 8-40 screws for sure. I'd even have the scope base pinned to action. Sounds like a good build!