338 RUM Build

IDShane

WKR
I think I have finally decided that I want to build a 338 RUM. I guess maybe I listened to The Backcountry Hunter Joseph Von Benedikt's Podcast one too many times. I really like the idea of this gun as an Alaskan hunting gun for Moose, Griz and etc. I am interested to know if any other Rokslide folks have built one and what combination might have worked for you. Right now I have the following options picked out:
Manners MCS-EH1 stock with 1" Pachmayr recoil pad
Lone Peak Fuzion action 700 Rem
Douglas #5 barrel 24" or 26"
Hawkins DBM M5 bottom metal
I welcome your feedback..
Shane

I considered the RUM but went with a 338 Norma Improved instead since it’s easier to fit in mag boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TaperPin

WKR
I built a 340 Weatherby with a 26” #3 barrel and it was the perfect size, at least for me - enough weight to help with recoil, but still light enough to carry up a steep ridge. #5 is going to be pretty heavy - isn’t that close to a varmint barrel? 10 to 11 lb rifle? It will help with recoil, but that’s pretty heavy.

The extra heavy bonded bullets make that 33 just as lethal as a 375 with the trajectory of a 300.

Luckily there are a lot more magazines now than when the rum first came out. Just tonight I ordered a mystery steel bottom metal with what looks like a wyatt RUM internal magazine for my switch barrel gun - I’d like to add a 300prc barrel for 210 accubonds and some kind of larger 338 for 300 gr accu. Maybe 338-300PRC, but your 33 rum would be a good one as well.

This one gun of yours will cover anything in north America!