75 years old - First time Brooks Range

britz1784

FNG
Hi All,

My dad and I are interested in possibly a caribou hunt in the Brooks Range, but he is a little concerned regarding his age. He would be 75 years old when we would go and we would be with a guide we know. He's in good health, stays active woriking out 5 days a week with 2 of the 5 days Crossfit training. Any advice or experiences I can share with him would be appreciated. Thanks!

The guide you are with will be more important than his Age. Pick a good operation and you will be fine. The only problem I foresee is him wondering why he didn't go 30 years ago!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he’s in good health and working out 5 days a week, he should be fine.

A good guide will insure all goes smoothly; they figure out quickly how hard to push and if need be they’ll carry extra weight as well to lighten your Dad’s load.

Six to eight weeks out might not hurt to add some weighted rucking; doesn’t need to be super heavy; even getting used to what he’ll be carrying daily will helpful.

Training in the gym is fine.
But toughen up those feet by hiking with a light pack and the same hunting boots!
Blisters or sore feet can dampen a hunt of a lifetime. . .
At age 67, I find endurance just as important as strength training.

chucko

FNG
My Dad hunted with me ( Brooks range caribou) till he was 78 and he had Parkinsons- attitude means the most he will do fine !

C Bow

WKR
Tell your dad please go he will not regret it. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been. He don't have to go fast he can go at his own pace. I am going back as I am a very young man at 68

VernAK

WKR
Caribou are wanderers and constantly moving/migrating. I've never been able to follow caribou and catch up to them. If you see a bunch moving through, the next bunch will most often follow the same route.....be there!

elkguide

WKR
The memories that you will be making for both of you will be worth everything you have to do.
AWESOME! Do it.

Remember that age number is just that..... a number.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Go while you can! You can adjust the variables such as pack weight, land speed etc to his capabilities. Prettiest country ever. I went for the first time last year at 70 and going back this year at 71. Good luck to both of you!

keller

WKR
Just Go!! And enjoy It!! When you are on your way home from that trip planning the next trip do that one TOO!! I didn't have the opportunity too go with my dad!!

bowonly

FNG
My experience as a 72 bowhunter is even if you explain to a very young guide your limitations, they may not understand deep down. As my dear mother used to say "they hear, but they do not comprehend!" I told my 32 year old guide on my elk bow hunt last year I was coming off Covid and would have to pace myself during the 8 day hunt. He proceeded to charge off the first day chasing bugles, leaving me tailing behind out of sight. I believe some younger guides just cannot relate to an older hunter's lack of stamina. Their life experience just does not register. You may have to explain to them more better!