7mm-08 150 gr accubonds?

AkRyan

WKR
We shot 140ab b3fore I started loading the 150g eldx. Only problem I have with the ab is they require a bit more velocity to expand. I took a back up shot on my daughter's first moose, she shot 708 with 140ab right above the heart and a full pass through. I shot a 180ab out of my wsm and hit 1in above her, my bullet was found mushroomed under the hide on the opposite side. None of the animals we have shot with the 150eldx have full pass through and there internals are jello. Hornady designed the 150g eldx specifically for non magnum 7mm (7-08, 7x57, 280ai etc etc).

Trox416

FNG
I did the same, interested to see how it goes. Hoping to get above 2700, should be a solid elk round. Last couple elk have decimated the 150 eld-x I put in them, accubonds just make me feel a little more warm and fuzzy.

I did the same, interested to see how it goes. Hoping to get above 2700, should be a solid elk round. Last couple elk have decimated the 150 eld-x I put in them, accubonds just make me feel a little more warm and fuzzy.

I use the 150 eldx in my 7mm-08, help me understand what you mean.

P

Trox416

FNG
I use the 150 eldx in my 7mm-08, help me understand what you mean.

P
Oh I'm well aware of your history with the 150 eldx. I hunt elk in lodgepole timber and the majority of my shots are less than 80 yards, although did have to stretch to 325 in '22. The last few animals have required 3-4 shots to go down (granted they stood there and took them, probably in shock and on their way to a quick expiration) and bullets recovered during butchering have been absolutely shredded, I haven't found a cup and core intact in probably 4 years. Seems like even at the lower muzzle velocity of the 7-08, the eldx is getting decimated at close range. I'd like a little better chance of an exit wound. Buddy lost a bull a few years ago in a similar situation with the 145 .277 eldx, no exit wounds from 2 shots at 45 ish yards. Blood trail went from little to none fairly quick, unfortunately.

All that being said, the 150 eldx has bagged 4 bulls, 2 whitetails and 2 pronhorns for me in the last 4 years. Is there a reason to change projectile? Probably not, but damnit those accubonds were on sale man.

Copy.

IMG_1822.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

I killed this Roosevelt bull a decade ago with a single 140 gr Partition. MV 2880, distance was 68 yards, so the bullet was still moving out pretty hard. He dropped before I had time to work the bolt and put another one in him. Scapula, double lung, under the hide.

I think if they’re close enough the bullet expands quicker so slows down faster. I’m not surprised you caught those eldx.

Funny, I shot my first bull four times before he dropped, maybe 60 yards, 30-06 with 180 gr green box Core-Lokts. He was dead at the first shot but he was standing. That’s what you get.

I‘m right there with you on the Accubonds.

P

AkRyan

WKR
I think the eldx exploding is what we want tbh. Get away from the shoulder and put them in the air bags. Moose take 2 steps and flop, I've shot moose with 180g accubonds out of my wsm and watched them all take off with double lung shots. I'm not a elk hunter so I'm not sure if it equates the same.
I shot my biggest bull moose 4 times with Norma bond strikes and he was still running. I'm a fan of the hand grenades for the bigger critters.

Trox416

FNG
I think the eldx exploding is what we want tbh. Get away from the shoulder and put them in the air bags. Moose take 2 steps and flop, I've shot moose with 180g accubonds out of my wsm and watched them all take off with double lung shots. I'm not a elk hunter so I'm not sure if it equates the same.
I shot my biggest bull moose 4 times with Norma bond strikes and he was still running. I'm a fan of the hand grenades for the bigger critters.
I'd love to, but offhand shots through lodgepole shooting windows can move point of impact 3"-4" pretty easily. I understand that a bullet that doesn't exit has transferred 100% energy. But when you're 4-5 miles back having a good exit wound blood trail to follow is a huge relief. Again, nothing I've shot with an eld-x hasn't come home with me. But I hunt in an area where I can consistently get close to animals, but a lovely broadside shot where the whole animal is visible and stationary just doesn't happen often.

AkRyan

WKR
I'd love to, but offhand shots through lodgepole shooting windows can move point of impact 3"-4" pretty easily. I understand that a bullet that doesn't exit has transferred 100% energy. But when you're 4-5 miles back having a good exit wound blood trail to follow is a huge relief. Again, nothing I've shot with an eld-x hasn't come home with me. But I hunt in an area where I can consistently get close to animals, but a lovely broadside shot where the whole animal is visible and stationary just doesn't happen often.
If your shots are close the ab most likely will end up under hide on the off side. I'm not a fan of solids but everything your explaining here tells me that they might be a better option for you. I only say that because they tend to not expand as much as a nab and they normally exit from what I've seen.
I've found every nab I have killed with other than one under the hide.

JGRaider

WKR
Solids are never a good choice for a hunting bullet IMO. I've shot hundreds of big game animals, and at distances where 95%+ of where big game animals are shot, accubond/partition performance is as close to ideal as one can get in one package. I like bullets that perform well when things don't go exactly as planned, which happens quite often.

AkRyan

WKR
I agree I was just saying it because you put so much emphasis on having a exit wound, based on my exp and many others at closer ranges bonded bullets end up under hide with no exit.
Solids are never a good choice for a hunting bullet IMO. I've shot hundreds of big game animals, and at distances where 95%+ of where big game animals are shot, accubond/partition performance is as close to ideal as one can get in one package. I like bullets that perform well when things don't go exactly as planned, which happens quite often.

JGRaider

WKR
I agree I was just saying it because you put so much emphasis on having a exit wound, based on my exp and many others at closer ranges bonded bullets end up under hide with no exit.
Yes, and very dead animals.

Trox416

FNG
I agree with all points. Also emphasis that I bought accubond 2nds that were on sale on sps. Really going for best performance on a cost/benefit scale, and a 150 gr 7mm accubond for $0.64/round is probably as good as its going to get these days.