7mm-08 not producing decent groups with Accubonds

williaada

WKR
Been trying to get my Winchester 7mm-08 to shoot 140 gr accubonds, and my loads made up are not grouping well. For instance I can get 2.5” group at best with e nosler product. I can get Barnes to shoot well.

The seating depths tried have been for accubonds

The measurement to the lands is 2.867 what seating depth would you try the accubonds at?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
W

williaada

WKR
Yeah, change a major component- powder, brass or the bullet.

Follow up question though, if Barnes shoot well, why worry about coming up with a recipe for accubonds? 7mm-08 and the 120 TTSX go together like peas and carrots.
i like to try and have a few different bullets that work due to shortages the last few years

LaHunter

WKR
I have had good luck with 160 grain Nosler AB bullets in 7 rem mag. As far as bullet seating, I have had good luck starting with .015" from slightest contact from lands.
These bullets have always been pretty forgiving / easy to get to shoot accurately for me. Maybe a different powder will help?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I load for four 7-08s and they all shoot 140 grain Accubonds loaded to Nosler’s data accurately.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Can you share more details about the loads and the results so far? That will probably get you responses that are most helpful.

xsn10s

WKR
Was your barrel free of all copper fouling from other bullets before you tried the AccuBonds? AccuBonds can be like mono bullets as they can foul quickly when other copper is present in the bore. And that affects their accuracy.

OP
W

williaada

WKR
So far I have only run lead bullets out the gun. Factory loads of 139 hornday whitetails, Winchester ballistic tips 139gr, Remington accutip, and some other cheap lead cup and core bullet.

My reloads so far have been BR2 primers, and have used vargent and big game for powder with different powder charges. I did set my last group of bullets longer to get closer to the lands. When I measured the lands it was 2.867”

xsn10s

WKR
So far I have only run lead bullets out the gun. Factory loads of 139 hornday whitetails, Winchester ballistic tips 139gr, Remington accutip, and some other cheap lead cup and core bullet.

My reloads so far have been BR2 primers, and have used vargent and big game for powder with different powder charges. I did set my last group of bullets longer to get closer to the lands. When I measured the lands it was 2.867”
It would be best to get ALL copper fouling out of the barrel and retest the AccuBonds. The standard AB has a forgiving ogive so seating shouldn't be too much of an issue. But copper fouling from other bullets can be a big issue for the AccuBonds.

OP
W

williaada

WKR
It would be best to get ALL copper fouling out of the barrel and retest the AccuBonds. The standard AB has a forgiving ogive so seating shouldn't be too much of an issue. But copper fouling from other bullets can be a big issue for the AccuBonds.
Will give it a cleaning, are any of the other bullets copper?

xsn10s

WKR
Will give it a cleaning, are any of the other bullets copper?
All of the bullets you listed have a copper jacket. But the copper can be either different composition or hardness. So AccuBonds foul badly when other jacket fouling is present. So it's best to get ALL of the copper fouling out. Same as if you were shooting mono copper bullets.

LaHunter

WKR

You may want to double check your measurement to the lands (CBTO). Your measurement of 2.867" is longer than my 7 rem mag. You may be jamming the bullet into the lands. How did you come to that CBTO measurement?

Weldor

WKR
I don't if it helps, but we were at the range last week and my buddy's sig won't shoot factory Nosler 168's in his 308. Switched to his 165 hanloads with Sierra gamechagers and it was sub moa. That barrel just did'nt like the 168 Noslers.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
You may want to double check your measurement to the lands (CBTO). Your measurement of 2.867" is longer than my 7 rem mag. You may be jamming the bullet into the lands. How did you come to that CBTO measurement?
I read his posts as the COAL was 2.867” when the bullet hit the lands, not CBTO, because the measurements for seating depth are COAL measurements. Worth clearing that up just in case though.

xsn10s

WKR
I don't if it helps, but we were at the range last week and my buddy's sig won't shoot factory Nosler 168's in his 308. Switched to his 165 hanloads with Sierra gamechagers and it was sub moa. That barrel just did'nt like the 168 Noslers.
I’ve never cleaned copper out of any of the rifles I load for and have gotten accurate loads with Accubonds. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yup sometimes barrels don't like a certain bullet. At Nosler standard sop when checking the AccuBonds for accuracy you started with a copper free barrel. But if your barrel doesn't need it then that's great.

His measurements are fine. You might wanna recheck your 7mm mag loads tho

LaHunter

WKR
I read his posts as the COAL was 2.867” when the bullet hit the lands, not CBTO, because the measurements for seating depth are COAL measurements. Worth clearing that up just in case though.
His measurements are fine. You might wanna recheck your 7mm mag loads tho
If op is measuring COAL, then that number may be reasonable, but useless unless he in magazine length limited. For precision reloading, CBTO is the useful measurement for bullet seating. Also, I am very sure of my measurements for my rifle. I use CBTO. Basing seating depth on COAL (head to bullet tip) can have a large variation and can lead to poor precision, which may be his issue.

If op is measuring COAL, then that number may be reasonable, but useless unless he in magazine length limited. For precision reloading, CBTO is the useful measurement for bullet seating. Also, I am very sure of my measurements for my rifle. I use CBTO. Basing seating depth on COAL (head to bullet tip) can have a large variation and can lead to poor precision, which may be his issue.
Nowhere in the OPs statement does he give any cbto vibes. All his numbers are coal length acceptable. Also, and I agree cbto is a better measurement, but using coal measurements can work as well. Many people make highly accurate ammo just using coal measurements.

Just my opinion, his gun doesn’t like those bullets he’s trying to use.