7mm-08 vs. 6.5 PRC for muleys

Stalker69

WKR
I know when ever I am interested in a new cartridge or caliber or just a new gun, I try to justify it in my head. I know what I have will already work, but I can find enough excuses that it don't take much to convince myself I need something else. You can get as technical and scientific as you want to convince your self ( or others), but it don't take that much for me. I say if you want a 6.5prc, buy one, I did. I also have a 243 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Any one of them will do what I need, almost interchangeably. I say go for it.

OP
Newtosavage
I really love my 270wsm. I kill everything with it. I have loads built up with the 145 eldx, 150 partition, and 130 grain etip. Brass availability can be a problem although I have plenty. When I bought this rifle I was looking for a 6.5 prc and couldn’t find one. This gun popped up and I bought it. I have been more than pleased… 130 grain bullet going about 3250 fps does the job at as far as you ever want to shoot it.
I feel like .277 bullets are making a comeback. Brass on the other hand. I think the 6.5 PRC will outlast the WSM's

OP
Newtosavage
I know when ever I am interested in a new cartridge or caliber or just a new gun, I try to justify it in my head. I know what I have will already work, but I can find enough excuses that it don't take much to convince myself I need something else. You can get as technical and scientific as you want to convince your self ( or others), but it don't take that much for me. I say if you want a 6.5prc, buy one, I did. I also have a 243 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Any one of them will do what I need, almost interchangeably. I say go for it.
Just need to have a barrel made up. The hidden cost for me at least, is the reloading dies and brass. I'm not interested in paying factory ammo prices these days (who is?) so I have to tack that on to the cost of the barrel.

Weldor

WKR
Both are fine cartridges. PRC ammo is starting to be more available, and it seems 7-08 is getting harder to find. I have both and the 7-08 hasn't been out of the safe for a few years.
Agreed on the ammo, I sold mine because it is scarce down here. Otherwise I love it.

grfox92

WKR
I just got a beautiful little .308; would love to know the “optimum” mule deer load for that.
I have an m70 in 308 that's a turd. I've been toying with the idea of rebarreling it and putting it in a McMillan, but could not decide on a caliber. If this data is accurate, I think I've figured it out.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
If you want to extend your range and effectiveness go put a 162 ELDM with H4350 in the 7-08. The BC of .67 @ 2750 is way more capable than people realize.

Below is a my chart at 40* and 8500’. Bullet is still above terminal limit and 1000# of energy at 1000yrds.

View attachment 575926
What is your load? 2750 with a 162 sounds fast.

amassi

WKR
What is your load? 2750 with a 162 sounds fast.

Hornady has 2 loads over 2700 with H414, RL17
And 2800 with superformance
fb0690ac420bb5c9bfd47981c5db0ac9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is insane. I've always considered an 08 to be a slightly faster .308

That combo if those numbers are accurate is deadly out to 1000 yards with an eldm.

Run the numbers on the 7mm-08 with the 180gr ELD-M then.

I'm curious what that load would look like in a .308.

Work up to 48’ish grains of PP 2000MR in a long loaded 185gr Berger Juggernaut (2.930 coal). 22” barrel will be between 2,700 and 2,800fps MV.

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Recently took an Axis deer on Molakai with the outfitters 6.5PRC at approx. 400 yds. plus. Believe was 136 grain projectile. Did well. But any 6.5 with accurate 120 grain, shot placement of course, will put them down. MTG

gpkhill2

FNG
I own both. I'm a big 7mm08 fan have several rifles chambered in it. I also have a Tikka Roughtech in 6.5 PRC. The PRC had really grown on me. To the point I also bought a 300 PRC. That being said. Both calibers will do the job. But the 6.5 will be a tad bit better at longer distances. My 6.5 load is a 140 Berger Elite hunter running around 3000. So you gain a couple hundred fps over the 7mm08 with the same weight bullet and the 6.5 has a better BC of that matters to you. But as someone stated earlier it does all come with more powder and less barrel life.

Kerbs

FNG
I own both. I'm a big 7mm08 fan have several rifles chambered in it. I also have a Tikka Roughtech in 6.5 PRC. The PRC had really grown on me. To the point I also bought a 300 PRC. That being said. Both calibers will do the job. But the 6.5 will be a tad bit better at longer distances. My 6.5 load is a 140 Berger Elite hunter running around 3000. So you gain a couple hundred fps over the 7mm08 with the same weight bullet and the 6.5 has a better BC of that matters to you. But as someone stated earlier it does all come with more powder and less barrel life.
Surprised barrel life hasn't come up yet but that's a good point about the 7mm-08 vs the PRC. All depends how much someone shoots, but if it's fun to shoot it will likely get shot more.

gpkhill2

FNG
Surprised barrel life hasn't come up yet but that's a good point about the 7mm-08 vs the PRC. All depends how much someone shoots, but if it's fun to shoot it will likely get shot more.
Yes, I really like shooting my PRC especially on steel. I ran 120 rounds through it a couple weekends ago on steel out to 1200. At that rate I'll be rebarreling in a year I'd guess

OP
Newtosavage
I'm also firmly in the 7-08 camp. A Montana so chambered, and pushing 120 TTSXs, is my preferred rifle for everything.

At this point in the thread, I have nothing to add that wouldn't be redundant.
That 120 TTSX between 3k and 3100 fps has been my go-to for about 5 years now. Sadly, I've had to track more deer using that combo than I would like. But I'm still not willing to go back to shooting lead (never had to track a single deer shot with an SST). I don't mind tracking. But it is a bit disconcerting when I see it over and over again from that particular bullet. Reminds me of when I tried 130 grain 6.5 Gamechangers out of my Grendel. They took a long time to kill from that rig, and I eventually stopped using them for that reason.

JakeSCH

WKR
I like both cartridges...but if I had to choose one I would wind up with a 6.5 PRC since I need to hunt with copper in CA. I like all the speed I can get with copper bullets and I am able to shoot the 127 LRX or 124 HH over 3300 fps.

Then when needed I push the 156 berger at 3000 fps and the 140 berger at 3050 fps. Hard to go wrong though with any choice.

Is that needed for my hunting? Absolutely not...but it makes me smile

That 120 TTSX between 3k and 3100 fps has been my go-to for about 5 years now. Sadly, I've had to track more deer using that combo than I would like. But I'm still not willing to go back to shooting lead (never had to track a single deer shot with an SST). I don't mind tracking. But it is a bit disconcerting when I see it over and over again from that particular bullet. Reminds me of when I tried 130 grain 6.5 Gamechangers out of my Grendel. They took a long time to kill from that rig, and I eventually stopped using them for that reason.

I'm not a big fan of tracking either, unless there's snow. For that reason I favor a high shoulder shot, to short circuit the brachial plexus. When so hit with a 120 TTSX, every whitetail, muley or antelope has fallin in their shadow. Curious to know where you're hitting them.

hobbes

WKR
You are going to get many different opinions on a cartridge subject and I'm sure the haters will hate my recommendation but who cares about them. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a phenomenal hunting cartridge and has technology built into it and would be my choice over both of the above mentioned. You don't need a magnum and in the mountains you won't be shooting far (500 yards would be a long shot). I hunt big mountain mule deer only and my average shot is 83 yards. I built a custom rifle for specifically 500 max yardage. If I had to choose between the two mentioned above I would chose the 7mm-08 with 120 or 140 grain bullets for mule deer. You don't need a muzzle break or a suppressor which will give you a light weight mountain rifle for mule deer. Or whatever country you chase them in. Hope this helps.
Explain the "technology built into it" statement. Sounds like it's a round loved by many but what technology is there that's not part of a hundred other centerfire rounds?

Last edited: