7saum popularity?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Am I missing something here? The 7saum seems like a dream caliber. From everything I’ve read and watched it’s more efficient than a 7wsm and 7 rem mag, has a great barrel life, manageable recoil vs other similar rounds in 7mm and 30 cal and will shoot very high BC Berger bullets a long way. All in a package that’s shorter barrel friendly, and unlike a 6.5prc, a round that most feel comfortable shooting elk and moose at longer ranges.

I’m still on the hunt for my build and before I pull the trigger on some brass someone was nice enough to turn me onto, I want to make sure there are no skeletons in the closet of the 7saum.

Why isn’t this thing more popular?

BBob

WKR
Nothing wrong with it at all, it's just not the darling of the moment anymore. Awhile back it had it's time in the limelight. Lot's of good about it IMO.

I’ve been wondering this same thing. I just wish either the 7 saum, 7 wsm, or some other new 7mm short action based PRC-like round is released soon that has the support in factory rifles. There’s not a lot in 7mm unfortunately

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve been wondering this same thing. I just wish either the 7 saum, 7 wsm, or some other new 7mm short action based PRC-like round is released soon that has the support in factory rifles. There’s not a lot in 7mm unfortunately

I can buy a barrel for my tikka and be shooting in no time. Not worried about factory guns but it sure would be nice to have more ammo and brass option. Not to mention it makes me question my decision to build one based on the fact that apparently nobody else thinks this caliber is so great.

Not much support in factory rifles, but it’s pretty popular as a custom build if you handload. Several quality brass options out there. I almost built one but went the 280ai route instead, ballistically theyre near identical. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with one.

I can buy a barrel for my tikka and be shooting in no time. Not worried about factory guns but it sure would be nice to have more ammo and brass option. Not to mention it makes me question my decision to build one based on the fact that apparently nobody else thinks this caliber is so great.

I don’t have a Tikka so I’d have to start from scratch or buy something and rebarrel it. So for me it’s a minimum of $1k investment where I could get a 280ai or 7 mag for less than that as a factory option.

Someone offering a short action 7mm that could push a 150 grain bullet at 3,000 fps (which is kind of my gold standard for what I want) would greatly simplify my life

With the PRC craze that has happened, I’m really thinking that Hornady has to be working on a 7mm PRC round. But who knows. The way components and ammunition are right now, it might be a moot point for a few more months anyway haha

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
With the PRC craze that has happened, I’m really thinking that Hornady has to be working on a 7mm PRC round. But who knows. The way components and ammunition are right now, it might be a moot point for a few more months anyway haha
I would really hate to build a 7saum and have a 7prc come out in the next 6 months. I agree that it seems like a very logical next step. A 6.5prc with more killing power would be a dream for a lot of people. Anybody tied into hornady?

With SHOT being cancelled, it sounds like most manufacturers will be releasing more information on next years products at the end of January. That’s just what I’ve heard so take that with a grain of salt.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Marketing Brah...... MARKETING

And .284s suck :) besides that I got nothin.
Ok so how does this sound for a back country hunting rifle?

carbon 6 20” barrel
Tbac dominus
Mesa precision altitude stock
Stock tikka long action from 300wm
(I believe I can run the long Bergers in the tikka LA magazine and have enough coal?)

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
I have one. It just never took off. In my opinion it hits the sweet spot for 7mm. Not much you couldn’t do with 7 Saum and 150-160 ballistic tip or accubond.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ok so how does this sound for a back country hunting rifle?

carbon 6 20” barrel
Tbac dominus
Mesa precision altitude stock
Stock tikka long action from 300wm
(I believe I can run the long Bergers in the tikka LA magazine and have enough coal?)

I'm hooked on the short barrels. I think it would be just fine with a good Berger bullet.

EmperorMA

WKR
It is perhaps one of the very best all-around cartridges we have. Low recoil, big reach, very efficient.

The stupid name didn't help it out much. Typical of Remington to screw up a good thing, though,

Neither did the WSM launching around the same time. Made for too many short, fat cartridges for hunters to choose from, and WSM is a catchier name than SAUM.

The 7 SAUM's performance is going to be closely matched by the upcoming (and very PRC-like) 6.8 Western, so I imagine a 7mm version can't be far behind. But to be honest, the 7 SAUM should be one of our most popular cartridges but it just isn't.

It didn't catch on in factory offerings and isn't ideal in a short action. 180 ELDs seated ideally are right around 3.1" so loading it at 2.825" and stuffing it into a rem factory 2.84" magazine didn't help it none. It has been fairly popular in bench rest and fclass but 284 and 300wsm seem a bit more popular.

IMO it strikes about a perfect balance for hunting weight rifles in terms of ballistics and recoil. More power than the 6.5s and 270s, higher BC bullets, approaches 300 magnum ballistics with 175/180ish bullets but with significantly less punishment. Basically like the new darling 280ai in performance but it's got that short/fat sexy going and can be run in a shorter action.

As far as brass goes, I currently have r-p, norma, ADG, and bertram 7 SAUM brass. Nosler makes it too and possibly hornady as well? I haven't struggled to find it but haven't looked in a while either.

Last edited: