85gr or 100gr broadheads for women's elk bow?

My wife's going to be hunting elk for the first time this year. She's been practicing the last year or so with 85gr field points.

If I have her use a fixed blade broadhead with a wide cutting diameter, is 85gr heavy enough? Should I have her use a 100gr broadhead?

I don't know what her arrow speed is, but her bow is a Mathews Avail, 24.5 DL, 500 spine Easton arrows (I think they're middle of the road nothing special), set to 46lbs but we'll increase it to 50lbs shortly.

Marble

WKR
Nevermind. I think I need to just get the 100s in a cut on contact tip
I built FMJs for my wife with 125s. Came in right around 425 TAW. She does a 2 post spot hogg.

I think having my wife shoot a hinge and go to the two post had the most affect on her accuracy. She can shoot whatever arrow she wants and we just change tapes and zero her 20 yard.

Zac

WKR
I built FMJs for my wife with 125s. Came in right around 425 TAW. She does a 2 post spot hogg.

I think having my wife shoot a hinge and go to the two post had the most affect on her accuracy. She can shoot whatever arrow she wants and we just change tapes and zero her 20 yard.
This is a much more reasonable build than a 500 spine with a 85 grain head.

Mo0se14

FNG

Thanks for your input! I'm going to keep this in mind for my wife...

stonewall

WKR
I'd think total arrow weight should be above 400gr as well.

if it were me, i think i'd try the following:
500 spine FMJ at 25" = 25*9,1= 227.5gr
brass insert = 50 gr
nock, wrap, and fletching= 40gr
100 gr broadhead = 100
TW = 417.5 gr
could also try a 125 head and see what works best.

i'm not real familiar with easton, but i'm assuming these brass inserts work on the FMJ (https://eastonarchery.com/product/5mm-brass-x-hit-break-off-8-32-insert/)

OP
H
Thanks for all the ideas! I'll have to start looking into some heavy broadheads and inserts

I shoot a similar poundage and draw length to your wife and I really like Slick Trick Viper Trick broadheads. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot anything with my bow yet but my husband has had great success taking mule deer with Viper Tricks the last 3 years in a row.