A couple of firsts....

I wrote and article awhile ago about the real reason why we hunt. We shouldn't hunt soley for antlers. We hunt for memories...with friends, family, and too feed our families. My last hunt with my father before he passed, reassured why I hunt. The "true meaning of hunting" as I called it. Well with that said I had a lesson once again in why we hunt. and that there is more to hunting than just antlers or pics for face book.

I have been laying low in regards to social media for the year 2013. Not sharing or posting too many pics. But I figured this was worth sharing.

Ruger is a pretty cool little kid. I have known him for a few years after he lost his father. Aside from the badass name, Ruger is about the kindess kid you will ever meet. Very caring to others. Yet a warrior. Its pretty neat to be with him teaching the ropes of hunting. I got to thinking with a bull and buck tag, I would try to get him some big ones. Would be cool to shoot a monster bull and buck for your 1st huh?

The little warrior. Scouting some country.

Some of you might remember Ruger's 1st elk hunt from last year. I shared it with the Rokslide community. It was a awesome hunt for a special kid. He made a great shot on a cow. This year he said "Maybe I will try for a bull..I would like to have the antlers to save..." So we put in for a rifle bull tag and he drew. I was pretty excited, thinking about the potential of Ruger killing a big bull.

The plan was to use my dad's 7 mm mag again. ( A rifle everyone says is too big for Ruger, but like I said he is a warrior haha). I'm not much of a gun guru, I just use whatever to get things done.

For this hunt Aron and Joe Baht said they were gonna come along on the hunt, but they ended up going Mtn Goat scounting. The day before opening day I got sick with some stomach virus thing that cut into Ruger's opening day.

My gear was ready, except I had to find some shooting sticks for Ruger to use. Because Ruger is so little and the rifle I have him use is so big..he needs shooting sticks. (I know he could use a smaller sized gun so he could handle it better..but I don't have a smaller rifle).

I could not find my shooting sticks for the life of me. So we improvised and made some shooting sticks from two of Ruger's dads old carbon arrows. Used the end of a bungie cord to hold them together and allow them to pivot. Put some VPA small game points on the ends. Seemed to work pretty well for the time being. We had shooting sticks, and we were in business.

Some pics of the country. Pretty leaves at the time of the hunt.

OP
justin davis
I'll save you boring details. But long story short. We found a bull.... One heck of a bull. I would estimate him at around 370+ clean 6x6. We made a stalk and got on the bull. Bull was 200 yards on the dot.. head down feeding. We couldn't get any closer for fear of spooking other elk in the herd. Got Ruger set up in a shooting lane that looked clear. He took his time aiming. I was mentally thinking to myself about how we were gonna pack out this beast. And that the bull would have to be mounted because it was a bull of a lifetime for me and probably Ruger.

Ruger pulled the trigger...boom! Bull moved into some trees. I got the bull in the binos and saw him walking. The bull seemed unscathed, but I wasn't sure. He didn't spook really and we tried to get on him again. The elk moved off a little bit and we closed the distance on them. The bull was in thick trees and we tried to position for a shot. Darkness was falling and we heard a shot from another hunter in the other direction that sent the elk running. We were pretty sad. I know I was at least. real sad. That was one of the bigger bulls I have personally seen out in the woods hunting. I just had visions of that huge rack in my mind. Not sure how Ruger missed. He is a great shot. I kept playing it over again and again. I tried not to show my pain to Ruger so as to not make him feel bad. haha

We never could find that big bull again and as the final day of the season neared. We came upon a lone elk as we hiked into an area. The elk had us pinned. I thought it was a cow at first because its head was blocked slightly by a tree branch. It had us pinned down at 70 yards, but didn't spook. I told Ruger there had to be more around. Then I looked more closely and noticed horns. "Spike" I told Ruger and asked if he wanted to shoot it. He said yes. He kneeled down and got the gun on the shooting sticks and made a perfect shot to take his 1st bull.

In the end. It was a good lesson in its not about the horns but more the experience. And the sweet meat that elk offers. Thats the reason we do it. Pretty exciting for Ruger and a fun memory with him.

The miss on that big bull is still gonna sting me for a few years....haha

OP
justin davis
I was up above timberline glassing some elk and ended up dropping my camera on a rock and jacking it up. So for the deer hunt I only had my iphone to document.

Nutella, bannana, and peanut butter. One of the best sandwhiches i eat!

Up next was the deer tag.

Even in the middle of what seems like nowhere we had competition.

As oddly as it would seem, this hunt turned out similar to the elk hunt. The plan was to kill a deer. Being that it was Rugers 1st deer any deer would do. But once again I had an idea to try to find a nice buck for his 1st. Is that bad of me?

We spotted some smaller bucks and passed them. Looking for a bigger one. Ruger was allowed to miss a day of school to go hunt, because of limited time. We tried a spot at 1st light, but the wind was unpleasant. So we relocated to an area that I hoped the wind would be tamer. It was an area that a great buck lived. A buck i nick named the "Ghost" buck. I haven't seen this buck in 3 years. I had only seen the buck twice. He was sneaky and like a "Ghost" hence the name. He was an amazing buck. A monster for this area. When I saw him 3 years ago I estimated him at around the 190" mark. Having no clue if this buck even exited anymore we set out into the area just to see what we saw.

There was a slight dusting of snow on the ground that morning. Not just on the ground but more only in the shade. We immediatly picked up a single set of deer tracks. The snow was more like frost, you could barely make out the tracks. The deer was by itself, and judging by the size I knew we were dealing with a buck. The track was on a trail and heading to thick stand of lodgepole pine thicket (the bedding area of the ghost buck). We followed the track some how and tracked it like native american trackers. It was thick and the wind kept the noise down. We came over a little rise and my eyes met a monster buck standing in the thick timber. I motioned with my hand for Ruger (who was behind me) to get up by me. It was very thick, but I could tell it was a big buck. The buck was a mere 30 yards away. But mostly covered up by thick trees. Ruger got up along side of my and I told him to shoot the buck. Because of the hill we were unable to use the shooting sticks. I was afraid to position for fear of spooking the buck. I knew he would bolt at any minute. But he continued to stay there. I guess he thought he was hidden. So I held the gun up on the front while ruger gripped it. He was standing on his tippy toes because of the angle of the shot. So I held it and Ruger instructed me to move it right...now move it down... helping to aim. haha what a situation!! The buck continued to stand there. Ruger could had a lane and some fur and took the shot. Boom! The deer ran off. The deer not knowing what happened stopped to look back. We moved up in the trees and the buck saw us and bolted away.

Ruger was mad that he missed. And I was trying to hold back tears. haha. I'm not sure if it was actually the "Ghost" buck, but have a feeling it was. It was thick and happened so fast that I was unable to get a good look at his horns. But Im pretty sure it was him. He used the same pattern and bedded in the same general weird area that the Ghost had done three years prior. With the painful miss we hiked back to the truck. It was an ackward shot for Ruger forsure. Im guessing he shot high.

As the season got closer to the end. We went out one day after school. We located a couple of bucks. And Ruger managed to make a nice 120 yard shot on a 3 point. To take his 1st buck. We quickly butchered it and I loaded the entire deer in my Kifaru pack and headed down the steep mountain.

That smile it what it is all about! Special memories!

Funny how these hunts happned. Eerily similar. How Two missed on two big animals. But it was almost like it happened for a reason. Looking back I guess its probably bette he did't shoot a 370 inch bull and a big buck for his 1st! Would be pretty spoiled and hard to top in future years. In the end the little warrior came out on top. For a 13 year old he is sitting pretty good with two elk and a deer under his belt.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great write up Justin. Solid reminder of "why". Thank you. Congrats to Ruger.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just awesome Justin. Congrats both you game slayers!!!

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the best hunt stories I have read this season Justin! Hunting is about so much more than big racks, I really believe the memories are the biggest trophy. Getting folks on their first animal is truly special, regardless of size. Just seeing monster sized animals and having a chance at them is awesome, although I know you wish you had given them a backpack ride :)

It sounds like you and Ruger are both blessed to have each other as hunting partners! Keep up the great work!

Scoot

WKR
Justin, last week I happened to reread your story in EBJ that included a promise that you'd help Ruger get his first bull. Congrats on making good on that promise! Great job with the pics and thanks for sharing! Congrats to both you and Ruger!!!

Stid2677

WKR
Great story and photos, so awesome to see someone as young as yourself that "gets it". I see many that are so consumed with only what can be had for themselves, that they fail to see the joy of sharing with others.

I'm sure that around the campfire in the great beyond, there are 2 very proud fathers, looking down. Melancholy, that they could not be here to teach and share in such trials and tribulations, but with a chest swollen with pride at the men you both have/are becoming.

Having been that fatherless kid that never had someone such as yourself willing to share. I know how special and what it must mean to Ruger to be blessed to have a mentor such as yourself, and deep down I believe that more than fate brought you both into each others lives.

Well done, well done indeed.

Steve

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations ! You can never replace his father but you are doing one hell of a job as his substitute hunting teacher. Bittersweet for sure.

wyodan

WKR
Way cool Justin, one of the better things I have heard of a person doing lately!

OP
justin davis
Hey thanks guys. Yea big congrats to Ruger. It is a good experience for me taking a young kid hunting. Makes you slow down and enjoy things more I think.
After these hunts I definitely have even more respect for my father for the times he took me when I was young. haha.

An example is we were following the deer tracks. I was in the "zone" my senses on alert. I was in that hunt mode where you could walk 3 days strait without ever stopping. you know? I knew we were close to the buck and as we were walking Ruger said.."Im hungry." So we sat down and I got him some food. At first I thought really? We are close to this buck and were are gonna stop to eat because your hungry?? And then I remembered that he is only 13 years old and is hungry and hasn't developed that go to all ends to kill something mentality. haha

Definitely looking forward to more years hunting with Ruger. He is a neat kid. Just looking forward to the day when we weighs more than 60 lbs so he can pack elk quarters!! haha Right now elk quarters weigh more than he does.

Also I may have put this in the wrong forumn? It was not a live hunt, but a hunting story. Sorry

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Very awesome Justin! That is what it is all about right there man. Keep it up.

If you ever want to have him shoot a little smaller rifle, let me know. I have brand new .243 Tikka with a new Leupold scope and an extra wood stock that I can cut down. He would be more than welcome to use it if he wanted. I would be glad to pay to ship it to you so let me know.