A Future North Idaho Whitetail Hunt

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in what most would consider the “Post Season Planning Phase.” For a few years now I’ve considered going on an out of state rifle whitetail hunt (particularly in n Idaho). Living I nw Montana it puts me close enough to get in a scouting/shed hunting trip before hand. My vision for this is a typical mtn whitetail hunt as this is how I’ve always hunted them. After looking at season dates and maps I was able to narrow it down to Unit 1. I’d be curious to here some feedback as I was also considering Unit 4 but the season dates in that unit don’t seem as appealing to me. I’d also be interested in your guys experience with the n Idaho whitetails. I’ve noticed in Montana all my productive whitetail hunting is between 3,600-4,400ft, hunting secluded cuts near cr bottoms or glassing previously burned drainages. I tend to avoid the high grizzly density areas here in Montana and hunt the areas with fewer bears. Going into n Idaho I understand there’s grizzlys and truly don’t mind hunting around them but would prefer to stay away from the areas where you cut new tracks on the daily. I would like to think n Idaho would be very similar to hunting in nw Montana but have learned to always expect the unexpected.

make sure there's still tags available if not your out of luck until 2022

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I’m aware of this. Site shows there’s still tags available but it was last updated on Dec 17th so who knows.

Jtay561

FNG
I think your on the right track with elevation and terrain types. Both units that you listed will have some good deer. The closer to coeur d Alene, the more you will run into other hunters, dirt bikers, etc. unit 1 has some pretty wild areas that hold good deer that you should be able to get away from people.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unit 1 offers some great whitetail hunts closer to Canada you get the bigger they tend to be stay away from wolf infested drainages and you can find some dandies good luck 🤙

Attachments

• 15D6799F-AFE8-4078-B651-5034B4B07C14.png
    15D6799F-AFE8-4078-B651-5034B4B07C14.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input Ross. That’s a tank of a set too. Awesome you were able to scoop both sides!