Rattling/Calling Idaho Whitetail?

bpeay4

FNG
Thinking I want to try rattling or calling during the rut this November. Seems like it may be effective as not too many people use calls around here. Anybody had any luck doing so in North Idaho or surrounding areas? Are the basics the same as what the guys back east do?

Randle

WKR
For me personally I have found it to be like calling elk . meaning either they are interesed or not.
I have rattled in and shot some good bucks . I throw in ground pounding and brush popping with it.
It can be really fun when they charge in and appear quickly.

Randle

WKR
I dont look at pre rut vs rut.
I Know I have killed good bucks from the 12th of Nov and beyond

NW MT, similar terrain to N ID. Also used rattling in the mid-west. While it can work, for me it is hit or miss and those that respond are smaller/ younger age class deer, rarely more than a 2.5 year old and far more 1.5s creeping in.

I've had better results (and find it more convenient) to just use grunt tubes. Even cold calling, my success rate is better than rattling.

That said, I primarily hunt the rut and that could easily explain the difference between rattling and grunting.

OP
bpeay4

bpeay4

FNG
When is the rut in Idaho exactly around Orifino and Elk city areas
Depends on who you ask. Overall, I would say the majority point to the week of Thanksgiving as being the peak rut. IMO there will be rut behavior occuring anytime after the 10th till the end of the season.

We planned our hunt week for the final days of the season this year.

ridder77

FNG
I dont look at pre rut vs rut.
I Know I have killed good bucks from the 12th of Nov and beyond
There seems to be a general consensus that the best days to be hunting are between November 10 and 22. But isn’t it supposed to be an early rut this year? I’m curious if anyone has seen any chasing yet?

OP
bpeay4

bpeay4

FNG
There seems to be a general consensus that the best days to be hunting are between November 10 and 22. But isn’t it supposed to be an early rut this year? I’m curious if anyone has seen any chasing yet?
Was out yesterday and saw lots of does and zero bucks. I would say still too early at least in my area.

ridder77

FNG
Was out yesterday and saw lots of does and zero bucks. I would say still too early at least in my area.
I've been seeing the same (does--no bucks). I'm in Latah county, Idaho. Is anyone else in Idaho seeing any chasing going on yet?