A-Hole Hunter - Gut shot elk in town

BBob

WKR
So if I’m reading this right, you are saying, legally, you can’t even target practice by a building? If so, that effed up. That would need some pushback.

I’m not saying any such thing as I don’t know specifically what AZGFD can enforce as to target shooting. Archery target shooting is also subject to local ordinances so you’d have to take that up or look up what’s legal with your city, town or county.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Says “discharge”. Does this mean target practice? Shooting an animal? How is it worded? Surely one can still
“discharge” his archery gear, no?

So if I’m reading this right, you are saying, legally, you can’t even target practice by a building? If so, that effed up. That would need some pushback.

My argument would be that Fish and game doesnt have jurisdiction on my matrix foam target as its neither a fish or a game or a non game animal. That would be a local PD jurisdiction and town or city ordances.

TheCougar

WKR
Discharge of a firearm is ONLY while hunting on public land. If you are on private (or public with permission of building owner with the 1/4 restriction), you can do whatever you want. AZGFD does not have jurisdiction on target practice. You’d have to look at your county or city regulations. I’m calling BS on the “road hunting” explanation. The verbiage from A.R.S is pretty clear. Driving to a glassing spot and then driving down the mountain is not “ intentionally drive around until you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to take.”

Blackcow

WKR
If AZGFD watches you glassing antelope from a hill, walk down to your truck and drive anywhere near that goat and shoot it, they’re taking your antelope and citing you, guaranteed. One of my friends went in to town midday, got some Taco Bell, on his way back to his camp trailer saw some antelope on a hillside. He went maybe a quarter of a mile down the road to a spot he could pull off, walked back, went off the road, took a rest and shot the buck. G/F was on a hill watching him, drove over and took the buck, gave him his ticket and it stuck. They literally want you to find a buck 3 miles away, and walk over. Never mind you crossed 3 ranch roads and six fences to do it, and the fact you drove to the area from your house. Elk and deer? They seem to give zero shits unless it’s from your vehicle or standing in the road or shooting across it. But antelope is so open most places, they can keep tabs on it, and those tickets are low hanging fruit to hand out.

Blackcow

WKR
I’ll add an addendum to that. Years ago, before they cracked down on it, I remember every tag holder would be driving around, trying to out run the next guy, buddies on the hill giving directions to the driver on phone or radio. So I get the increased enforcement. I usually didn’t guide antelope much, but when I did or was helping friends, it was pretty much wherever we parked the truck in the morning is where we’re walking from, and if we move, we’ll be walking from that spot too, and let’s hope we don’t see a tank on the way there.

MattB

WKR
I’ll add an addendum to that. Years ago, before they cracked down on it, I remember every tag holder would be driving around, trying to out run the next guy, buddies on the hill giving directions to the driver on phone or radio. So I get the increased enforcement. I usually didn’t guide antelope much, but when I did or was helping friends, it was pretty much wherever we parked the truck in the morning is where we’re walking from, and if we move, we’ll be walking from that spot too, and let’s hope we don’t see a tank on the way there.
We hunted the Kaibab a number of years ago and it was a joke. Friends of a driend would get up early to “get in line” before daylight to road hunt. There was a place vehicles would line up and then leave at some frequency to road hunt a given loop.

My friend and I wanted to scout an area a ways away midday and, while driving there, came around a bend and saw a Toyota Land Cruiser a hundred yards ahead driving with the doors open. Both driver and passenger had bows in hand with an arrow knocked. Crazy stuff.

My friend and I wanted to scout an area a ways away midday and, while driving there, came around a bend and saw a Toyota Land Cruiser a hundred yards ahead driving with the doors open. Both driver and passenger had bows in hand with an arrow knocked. Crazy stuff.

Rolling like ISIS.