A recent video of my form

I'm still working on my form big time but I'm definitely much better than I was a few months ago. This video was mainly to try out my new Gopro and a few different camera angles.

Watch if it you're interested and give me some advice, please.

R Davis

FNG
1. There looks to be a little collapse/creep right before a couple shots. Anticipation of the shot it looks like.
2. The release hand is flying out from the face a little on some shots, make sure you’re pulling through the shot. Maybe try a tab, generally you get a cleaner release with one.
3. Cant tell how tight you’re gripping the riser but a relaxed hand goes a long way, just have to play with it to see what works.
I’m no expert but that’s what I see, not sure if it helps.

OP
W
1. There looks to be a little collapse/creep right before a couple shots. Anticipation of the shot it looks like.
2. The release hand is flying out from the face a little on some shots, make sure you’re pulling through the shot. Maybe try a tab, generally you get a cleaner release with one.
3. Cant tell how tight you’re gripping the riser but a relaxed hand goes a long way, just have to play with it to see what works.
I’m no expert but that’s what I see, not sure if it helps.
1. Yeh. I didn't notice until I watched the video. I think it's worse some times than others, but I can put it down to both inexperience and fatigue.
2. Yeh. I feel like I have it fairly close to my face when I shoot but then when I watch the video, I have a long way to go. I have a fairly big nose so I guess I'm anticipating hitting my nose more, which isn't good. I used to shoot with a tab but would regularly hit my face, and then I'd be flinching a lot more. All things to work on and I need to experiment with different gloves/tabs and anchors.
3. I think my bow arm and grip are pretty good, but there is always room to improve.

Thanks heaps, mate.

R Davis

FNG
Bow arm did look solid. I don’t cant my bow and I shoot a tab 3 under, I hit the shit out of my nose! I have to tape up before I shoot to keep from sometimes drawing blood. I’ll sacrifice that though for good alignment every time. Try taping up and give the tab another go.

Think about getting a lighter set of limbs or another light bow setup for general shooting and form work. A heavy bow can mask a lot of form errors. It’d be much easier to develop your form without fatigue setting in, leading to bad habits, with a light bow. It will also force you to develop a clean release.

OP
W
I've seen people taping their nose and haven't tried it yet. I have to figure out whether I can align properly without doing it, or whether it's essential for me.

I have a couple of lighter bows here but no arrows for them yet. A cheapy 35# and a Bear Montana 45# @ 28. I'll get some arrows for the Bear soon but I'm not going to have a chance to do that for another month or so, so until then, I'll keep working with what I have. I can handle the BW fine for the first half an hour or so but when I start getting tired I usually put it down rather than keep going, but I shoot as much as possible at the club nights as I don't get the opportunity to shoot past 15 yards in my backyard very often.

Bvas

FNG
I’ve ripped my nose in the past and still do occasionally. I’m not sure if it’s the string, or the tip of my glove doing it.

My problem was/is turning my head into the string to much. I cured this by setting my cock feather in the 10-11:00 position and lightly touch my nose to it. If I bury my nose too deep in the fletch I get a quick reminder.

R Davis

FNG
I don’t use brass nocks anymore but they will rip open your nose. The melted ends on tied in nock points get mine if I don’t watch which way they are.

OP
W
Yeh, I definitely turn my head into the arrow more. I feel like anchoring a little further forward helps get rid of this problem and keeps my face straight, but then I also feel like I'm short drawing if I do that. It'll all come with time I'm hoping.

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS touch either your shoulder after the arrow is released, the base of your ear or something in that vicinity will also work. Really anything that will give you a consistent pull through on your shot. This WILL tighten your groups and keep you lined up and grounded at all times!

JD619er

WKR
Just a tip on hitting your nose. I faught it for almost a year and even taped up for a while. All my arrow set ups are gold tip arrows. On the actually nock one side of nock has a line on that protrudes from the main body. I've found when that side of the nock is facing my nose is when I'm getting ripped open. I turned all my nocks the other way and it solved my issue.

OP
W
Good discussion, fellas.

I think a lot of it is subtle stuff that I'm working on figuring out myself. I shot a lot last night and today and didn't feel like I shot very well or made much progress.

Then I went to the gym this afternoon and came back home and shot in my backyard. Even though I did some back exercises and I feel really tired, I think I engaged my back muscles better when shooting tonight as a result. I also made a bit of a breakthrough with my bow arm, which for the most part looks good in the video, but only now do I realise I've been inconsistent with the way I hold it after the shot. Moving that may have caused me to flinch a little and be silly with my release hand, which in turn probably contributed to the string hitting my face.

Keep the tips coming. This stuff is fascinating.