A Request for All the Elk Hunting YouTubers...

sasquatch

WKR
I know most folks on here hate the YouTube hunters. I for one am thankful. I live in Texas and have hunted white tails my whole life. Covid happened I spent more time at home and on YouTube and learned how it was not as expensive as I thought and even someone like me could get out in the woods and get it done. I know there are more people in the mountains especially Colorado. But I feel like the more people that are hunting public land the more awareness is brought to some of the problems and attacks that we as hunters are facing. Oh yeah I agree let’s get those audio levels in line.

Or access and opportunities start to shrink, actually making people less interested or related to what is going on.

Which is what’s been happening for the most part. One small example, getting tags is drastically different than it was just 3-5 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bloatmar

FNG
Or access and opportunities start to shrink, actually making people less interested or related to what is going on.

Which is what’s been happening for the most part. One small example, getting tags is drastically different than it was just 3-5 years ago.

How is access shrinking? Hasn’t more land been purchased since the increase in hunters. Now there might be more people at access points but access numbers are only growing. Unless our government continues to sell public land. Opportunities shrinking yes to an extent but I also believe they should put a cap on OTC in most states which is the case other than Colorado which will be changing sooner. Point creep is a big problem. Other than Idaho what states are different? I’ve been in the public hunting game for 4 years now so always learning.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
My request is to stop making videos. Maybe extreme but I think making a profit out of public land hunting should be illegal.
A special use permit is required to film on Fed Lands. I wonder how many of these YouTubers went through the proper process...

True story.

The Hunting Public showed a location they were at on the map one time. It was a fake....I knew where they were really at. They did do a nice job of trying to cover it up though.

With the exception that they parked their truck next to a gasoline marker that has a little penis drawn on it....

I told my wife that I'd recognize that penis anywhere. She busted out laughing. lol

Jaquomo

WKR
How is access shrinking? Hasn’t more land been purchased since the increase in hunters. Now there might be more people at access points but access numbers are only growing. Unless our government continues to sell public land. Opportunities shrinking yes to an extent but I also believe they should put a cap on OTC in most states which is the case other than Colorado which will be changing sooner. Point creep is a big problem. Other than Idaho what states are different? I’ve been in the public hunting game for 4 years now so always learning.
Umm, not many significant purchases have been made of public land for hunting access, and many of those are from RMEF. The BLM is required by law to sell, trade, or dispose of nonessential blocs. My elk hunting area where I hunted for decades was traded by the BLM to a big ranch. So was my #2 area, as was the place where I killed my first bull.

Access is shrinking in other ways. The hunting population is aging rapidly, yet USFS is closing off and gating access roads everywhere, as fast as they can. That may be great for the 30 year olds who want to pack in, but 50% of hunters are over age 50. Colorado CPW complains about the fact that hunters aren't able to reach the elk anymore, which is why populations are way over objective in many places.

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
Even if there was new access how does that translate into additional tags? Are there suddenly more elk because you can now access a piece of land?

I don’t even know what sound balance is, just stop making videos. And pretending you are doing it for conservation.

bloatmar

FNG
Even if there was new access how does that translate into additional tags? Are there suddenly more elk because you can now access a piece of land?

I don’t even know what sound balance is, just stop making videos. And pretending you are doing it for conservation.
So since there are more hunters there are now less elk? Most states have a hard cap on non residents thats nothing new. There has indeed been a big surge
In people moving to western states but I don’t think people are moving there just to hunt.

Ralphie

WKR
So since there are more hunters there are now less elk? Most states have a hard cap on non residents thats nothing new. There has indeed been a big surge
In people moving to western states but I don’t think people are moving there just to hunt.
More hunters does indeed translate to harder draw odds and less opportunity. The hard cap on non resident tags is a line from the youtubers in an attempt to try and convince hunters that they have little to no impact on odds and opportunities. It is inaccurate and incomplete. I’m not going to go into all the examples of why their argument is flawed because that would worsen the situation. But the distribution of tags to residents and non residents in Idaho is a perfect example that even the worst of the youtubers talk about Where more non residents has meant less opportunity for residents. There are others. And I don’t live in Idaho And haven’t hunted it or tried to hunt it since the 90s.

BDRam16

WKR
It’s tough for me, because I personally do enjoy watching hunting videos through various sources. I loved watching the outdoor channel and stuff when I was a kid and now YouTube has many options.

With that being said it has also led to a giant increase in tag demand. I personally think companies like GoHunt and OnX have led to the increased tag demand MORE than youtube videos, but those guys are mentioned in just about every video out there now.

I think the concept of going out into the mountains with a paper map was enough to keep the vast majority of non resident hunters away. Once the phone based GPS mapping software allowed any dummy with an iPhone to safely navigate unknown mountains it was always going to be a losing battle for tag allocations.

bloatmar

FNG
More hunters does indeed translate to harder draw odds and less opportunity. The hard cap on non resident tags is a line from the youtubers in an attempt to try and convince hunters that they have little to no impact on odds and opportunities. It is inaccurate and incomplete. I’m not going to go into all the examples of why their argument is flawed because that would worsen the situation. But the distribution of tags to residents and non residents in Idaho is a perfect example that even the worst of the youtubers talk about Where more non residents has meant less opportunity for residents. There are others. And I don’t live in Idaho And haven’t hunted it or tried to hunt it since the 90s.
There is no perfect system out there and the landscape is changing. This conversation has been good and I learned some things and will continue to learn. I wonder how much of an impact covid had on a surge in hunting I feel like that has had a big increase

I think the concept of going out into the mountains with a paper map was enough to keep the vast majority of non resident hunters away. Once the phone based GPS mapping software allowed any dummy with an iPhone to safely navigate unknown mountains it was always going to be a losing battle for tag allocations.

I'd agree 100% with this. As a new non-resident hunter, OnX absolutely allows me to be confident and comfortable heading in to an alpine hunting area I've never been to.

I grew up on paper maps, and wouldn't have much issue using them to navigate and still enjoy using paper maps on long road trips.

sundance1

FNG
Commercialization....long word. Major ramifications though. Hunting is all about the money now. From the calls, to the clothing, to the packs, to the optics....you name it. Hunting nowadays is one step away from setting in your easy chair...oh forgot, it is...Youtube. All these johnny come lately's have no idea what hunting is. Back in the day before all the techie stuff, I was wet, tired, halfway lost, learned to bugle by listening to bulls ( what a novel idea). had stiff as a board diaphragm's, vacuum cleaner hose grunt tube, drank out of a stream, ate beanie wienies, army surplus camo, shoes that held water in, not out. used bung fodder as a windicator, rolled in elk piss on the ground, built fires using a bic pen.....i could go on....and i had soooo much more fun back then...it was hunting at it's best. Me against Mr Bull Elk. Now it's a check list a mile long, a trip to the psychiatrist to help deal with the mass of Special Ops hunters and also the mismanaged forests, mismanaged wildlife.....find a good thing and mankind will corrupt it, every single time

sasquatch

WKR

You don’t see any changes in those 4 years??? Specially in opportunities shrinking?? Wayyyyy harder to get repeat tags now which is the MAIN issue

Just a few years ago you could hunt Wyoming general as a second choice every year, now it takes 4 years plus worth of points as a FIRST choice.

Idaho, you could drive up and buy a tag the day before your hunt just 3-4 years ago, now you lucky there’s any left after you sit on the phone for an hour waiting on your magic number to pull.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg

Thess87

WKR
I’d be ok with even meeting them in the middle and … ok make your video but don’t even mention the state you’re in let along region/unit. I don’t mind a youtube hunt ever now and then but my blood pressure rises when then talk anything about there location. As soon as they say even the state then if they have a good hunt, there’s tons of people that’s all they need to make them start applying in that state.

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Youtube videos are great resource for new hunters, both educational and what to expect when you are out there. Personally, I learned lot from these videos, never cared about where they are hunting, as we know ELK won't be standing still waiting for the next hunter.
I do agree on keeping the location hidden, as this can mislead others that they can have straight forward shot.

For newer hunters, the low key DIY You-tubers provide a huge resource and help shorten the learning curve. Watched every "random guy" DIY hunt video I could find. Learned a ton about the 90% of the stuff you deal with during your hunt outside of just what happens in the Redzone.

But it's the real situations. Getting rained out and the consequences on camp. Critters get in to and destroy gear. All the mishaps and crazy things that happen. Dealing with other Hunter pressure in non-limited units. Even when some of them do crap that you can immediately look at and think....that's a terrible call.

You don't get any of that real stuff on the big budget channels with multiple cameramen all trying to jam as many bugles as they can in to a 30 minute episode. Hell I love MeatEater, watch every episode with my boy; but it's entertainment only. Very little in there you can really learn from. Yea I'll watch them too to help with calling and the redzone action. But you get nothing on the other 90% of the stuff that happens to you when you hunt.

gtriple

WKR
Screenshot_20230831_165453_Chrome.jpg

clap-well-done.gif