AAE Trad Vanes Initial thoughts- Updated

wodje96

FNG
shorter is better because it shucks the wind better. it isnt better if you pluck the string or torque the bow or otherwise mess up your shot and destabilize the arrow. big fletching helps the arrow correct itself. its all trade offs. ymmv

sneaky

"DADDY"
The arrow prep primer pen that AAE sells, or buy their whole arrow prep kit, will save much frustration with fletchings not staying on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The arrow prep primer pen that AAE sells, or buy their whole arrow prep kit, will save much frustration with fletchings not staying on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I second this. It’s been a pain trying to get the tradvanes off when I put arrow holes through them (one iasue I have with them). The prep pen makes all the difference.

FWIW, I have been using fletching tape and Gold Tip glue on Black Eagle Rampage and Vintage shafts without issue. Trad vanes have been working great for me (off the shelf) and I have no plans to go back to feathers.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to bring back an old one but I didn’t find my answer in this thread. I’ve been shooting these vanes with good results for about a month fletched with the bitz but just tried using my mini max jig and the bases of the vanes are so small they push through the jig at the end closest to the nock. Anyone else encounter this or figure a solution?

thinking about building up the jig with tape to tighten the slot the vanes go in.

Been toying around with my setup since I got a few more arrows for this fall. I’ve always noticed my arrows with trad vanes can be a little inconsistent with times. I knew there was some fletching contact (even with great bare shaft results). I know there can be some contact and that be fine. I shoot 4 3” trad vanes. For kicks I got some of those 2” razers and fletched you 2 arrows with 4 of those. I cannot get rid of fletching contact either off a shelf or elevated rest with the trad vanes unless I raise my jock point over 1/8” higher. Zero contact and honestly better darts with the razers. Anyone else had this issue with 4 fletch trad vanes? I plan to probably do 2 arrows 3 fletch to possibly get rid of the contact. I want the vanes to Work for all the reasons stated above. I’ve shot them with broadheads though with some contact and was not any less accurate the little I did that.

Kindo

WKR
I’ve been playing with the trad vanes over the last 9 months over 3 different types of arrows and a few different fletch angle configurations.

I’m shooting 2-blade Cutthroats and 3-blade VPAs all in the 150gr configuration and consistently hitting with fieldpoints to 40 yards with my “practice arrows” (you know, the ones all beat to hell from shooting 30-100 arrows a day).

Well, I decided to bust out the new “hunting arrows” which I was much more precise with and they’re all un-shot. All of a sudden they’re flying kind of goofy and not as consistent. I slap the BHs back on the old arrows and they’re money. Swap them back to the new arrows, same thing. I noticed this same thing earlier this summer with new arrows/vanes but thought it was just me shooting like crap for a few days.

Could there maybe be a break-in period for these to soften them up just that little bit more?

@Kindo yeah that could be. I notice they get a little bit of wave in them from the contact (don’t notice any more noise or bad performance from it though). That may help it clear eventually I guess. It’s usually a form/release issue for me.

I’ve been shooting a lot more this past month with my old arrows without any finger pain or numb finger tips... well I got these new arrows and started tuning them andwouldn’t you know, instant finger pain and numb middle finger. I think try to hard and think about it too much which tenses me up some. Make a lot more bad releases causing the finger issues.

Kindo

WKR
@Kindo yeah that could be. I notice they get a little bit of wave in them from the contact (don’t notice any more noise or bad performance from it though). That may help it clear eventually I guess. It’s usually a form/release issue for me.

I’ve been shooting a lot more this past month with my old arrows without any finger pain or numb finger tips... well I got these new arrows and started tuning them andwouldn’t you know, instant finger pain and numb middle finger. I think try to hard and think about it too much which tenses me up some. Make a lot more bad releases causing the finger issues.

Well, after I posted last night, I went to go test things out and had similar results as before. I then shot for half an hour and started to notice some waviness in the vanes starting to develop. Got up early this morning to try shooting while I was fresh and things seemed noticeably improved. Mostly in consistent arrow flight.

Do you shoot tab or glove? I dealt with the same issue a year ago which led to me hanging up the stick for the 2019 fall because my finger dexterity is crucial for my livelihood. Sensation was finally restored by Jan/Feb of this year and I ordered a Black Widow reinforced tip glove and its been wonderful. I can shoot 150 arrows without a single bit of pain or paresthesia. I was also taught from a young age to pull with my finger tips and I think going to a slightly deeper hook has really helped improve things as well.

Well, after I posted last night, I went to go test things out and had similar results as before. I then shot for half an hour and started to notice some waviness in the vanes starting to develop. Got up early this morning to try shooting while I was fresh and things seemed noticeably improved. Mostly in consistent arrow flight.

Do you shoot tab or glove? I dealt with the same issue a year ago which led to me hanging up the stick for the 2019 fall because my finger dexterity is crucial for my livelihood. Sensation was finally restored by Jan/Feb of this year and I ordered a Black Widow reinforced tip glove and its been wonderful. I can shoot 150 arrows without a single bit of pain or paresthesia. I was also taught from a young age to pull with my finger tips and I think going to a slightly deeper hook has really helped improve things as well.
I have only really shot a leather glove. Like I said, parenthesis has only been an issue twice, both times when I was tinkering with changing up arrows, tuning, etc. I got a widow tab, trimmed it down a bit, but didn’t like the feel for the few arrows I used it for. I should try it for a while, probably next year. I too need my finger dexterity, but mainly my index finger lol. It’s mainly the medial Aspect of my middle finger that has the pareathesia. I’ve noticed my glove is getting pretty worn out, and my hook has been less deep lately too. Going give the nerve a few days to recover and start shouting more again.

I should look into that reinforced glove you tried out. does it I owed your ability to really feel the strong though? Or wasn’t that really an issue for you?

Kindo

WKR
I have only really shot a leather glove. Like I said, parenthesis has only been an issue twice, both times when I was tinkering with changing up arrows, tuning, etc. I got a widow tab, trimmed it down a bit, but didn’t like the feel for the few arrows I used it for. I should try it for a while, probably next year. I too need my finger dexterity, but mainly my index finger lol. It’s mainly the medial Aspect of my middle finger that has the pareathesia. I’ve noticed my glove is getting pretty worn out, and my hook has been less deep lately too. Going give the nerve a few days to recover and start shouting more again.

I should look into that reinforced glove you tried out. does it I owed your ability to really feel the strong though? Or wasn’t that really an issue for you?

Sounds like maybe you’re not applying quite enough pressure between your ring and index finger to take some pressure off the middle?

Someone else can chime in on the form side of that.

As far as the glove goes, it did take a little time to get broken in and I think it even helped me a bit with my release (if you try one, you’ll know what I mean). It’s almost like it increases the chance of a “surprise” release as you increase back tension. I also have a non-reinforced glove that is my backup and it functions well too.

Sounds like maybe you’re not applying quite enough pressure between your ring and index finger to take some pressure off the middle?

Someone else can chime in on the form side of that.

As far as the glove goes, it did take a little time to get broken in and I think it even helped me a bit with my release (if you try one, you’ll know what I mean). It’s almost like it increases the chance of a “surprise” release as you increase back tension. I also have a non-reinforced glove that is my backup and it functions well too.
Oh for sure I was applying too much percentage to the middle finger. Nothing adjusts tail height quite like some different finger pressure with some bareshafts lol. I know the middle finger “should” have the most pressure one it, and I think I shot a few too many with a little too much. Like I said, when I just shoot, I shoot way better. I analyze everything way too much and bareshaft tuning usually goes like this. When I do my part though, I have trad vanes, rayzrs and bare shafts grouping at 40 about the size of a grape fruit which I’m happy with. I plan to shoot a bunch of broadheads soon and see which fly better with those. I’m real interested to see those rayzers in action with a fixed head on it compared to the trad vane.