Accuracy Issue or Picky

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I need to know if I'm being unreasonable with my self or not. Getting ready for Elk hunt and practicing every day at 40 yds (as far as I can shoot in my back yard). I'm in the kill zone 100% of the time on what would be a small deer or antelope shooting 3 arrows at a time. Some times I can get 2 arrows in a quarter to dime size group but one is couple inches away (still in kill zone). Am I unreasonable for wanting groups like I get at 20 yds.. ? I took a couple years off from archery (shoulder issues). The target I'm aiming at is about 1-1/2" diameter circle inside a 7" diameter circle. I can hit the 1-1/2" circle one out of 3 shots, while the other arrows are with in kill zone (7" circle)...

Last edited:
That's awesome from 40 yards, unless your name is Levi, your groups most likely won't be the same as 20 yards!!!!! Doesn't hurt to try and have the same groups as at 20 but you sound like you are spot on. Don't stress out to much and relax!!! Good luck on your hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't want my 40 yard groups to look like my 20 yard groups on average.........my 20 yard groups are some of my worst groups out to 60. I hate 20........I get too picky and precise and tend to give myself target panic at that distance. I'm much more comfortable shooting longer.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’re kicking asssssss !!!

I would only suggest you find a way to somewhere where you can stretch out longer yardage. Go out to 100 yards. Get good @ it. When you shoot 40, it will feel like 20. Lol seriously. It works. Always practice out further than you intend to shoot in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark the three arrows to see if one is just not flying as good as the others and give the nock a turn and see it it tightens up. It sounds though like it is the indian and not the bow in which case go hunting.

Try this. Label your arrows, write on the target where they are hitting. If one is consistently out of the others give the nock a turn.

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
First 2 were on top of each other at 40. I was a little wobbly on thr 3rd
87a832f8d831289d4a4843dfafd9d1ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm trying to figure this out myself right now.

I pulled out a clean target and am labeling each hole with the arrow #. Also making a note if I know I pulled a shot. Found 2 arrows that are kinda suspect so far. Have a few more rounds to do tomorrow to get a "group" for each arrow # then going to start turning nocks 1 at a time. You could also get a 3 spot target and shoot centers. Label each arrow and shoot the same target with each one each time. If you have 2 tight "groups" and one that's opened up a bit then play with the nock or ditch that arrow...

Number the arrows... maybe one of them is always hitting off. That would explain a lot, then your could tighten things up more.

Also you could try increasing the draw weight for a couple groups, then try decreasing your draw weight for a couple groups. Then you can compare the groups at your current poundage, higher, and lower- to see at which poundage your bow/arrow setup groups the best.

Also, I see in the picture that the two arrows touching have one color nock, and the outlier has a different color nock. It might just be coincidence or maybe one color is tighter on the string than the other. Nock fit is another easy Tuning item. Sand them some to get them so they’re just snug on there so they don’t pull the string forward when you try to pull them off. Get them all the same and you’ve eliminated another variable.

>>>—————>
shoot straight

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
First 2 were on top of each other at 40. I was a little wobbly on thr 3rd
87a832f8d831289d4a4843dfafd9d1ac.jpg

Just pull that arrow that's on the left and shoot it again to see if it's you or the arrow. Seeing that those are FMJ's, that arrow could easily have a non-visible bend to it that makes it wobble. Put them all on a spinner and see what they do. If they wobble, they won't hit straight....especially with BH's. If they spin true, just nock tune that arrow. Just this week I shot a group at 40 with 3 arrows all together and one that was 3" high and 2" right. I pulled that arrow leaving the others, and shot it again. It just about went in the same hole as the first shot. So I turned the arrow on the nock to the next fletching (4-fletch) and shot it again......similar spot. Did that twice more before it finally entered the group. Shot it again to verify, and it was still in the group......good to go.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I need to know if I'm being unreasonable with my self or not. Getting ready for Elk hunt and practicing every day at 40 yds (as far as I can shoot in my back yard). I'm in the kill zone 100% of the time on what would be a small deer or antelope shooting 3 arrows at a time. Some times I can get 2 arrows in a quarter to dime size group but one is couple inches away (still in kill zone). Am I unreasonable for wanting groups like I get at 20 yds.. ? I took a couple years off from archery (shoulder issues). The target I'm aiming at is about 1-1/2" diameter circle inside a 7" diameter circle. I can hit the 1-1/2" circle one out of 3 shots, while the other arrows are with in kill zone (7" circle)...
That's great but next time that happens mark the arrow just to see if it is the same arrow everytime that happens. If so shoot that arrow through paper and I bet you will get a good tear. Rotate the nock until it shoots a bullet hole.

Nock tuning does wonders on bring the fliers back in. Also another thing you can do before nock tuning is get a G5 squaring tool and square the arrow where the nock goes in. Then nock tune.

87TT

WKR
No such thing as too accurate or too picky IMO. Plus 2 on longer ranges.

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
That's great but next time that happens mark the arrow just to see if it is the same arrow everytime that happens. If so shoot that arrow through paper and I bet you will get a good tear. Rotate the nock until it shoots a bullet hole.

Nock tuning does wonders on bring the fliers back in. Also another thing you can do before nock tuning is get a G5 squaring tool and square the arrow where the nock goes in. Then nock tune.
So nock tuning is just slightly truning the nock? Will give this a go. As well as putting it on a spinner.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
So nock tuning is just slightly truning the nock? Will give this a go. As well as putting it on a spinner.

Yes sir. Only make like an 1/8 of a turn. It seriously doesn't take much to change how the arrow flies.

TravisIN

WKR
I don't want my 40 yard groups to look like my 20 yard groups on average.........my 20 yard groups are some of my worst groups out to 60. I hate 20........I get too picky and precise and tend to give myself target panic at that distance. I'm much more comfortable shooting longer.

Good I thought I was crazy. I honestly need to shoot close more often