Accuracy tanked.

A dirty barrel wouldn't likely change accuracy that dramatically that quickly. I'd think it was the scope or mounts.
Actually it can happen.

My old 6.5x284 would go from dime size groups to shotgun patterns in short order due to copper fouling. Never an issue from a hunting perspective but would have to clean it after every range visit.

Actually it can happen.

My old 6.5x284 would go from dime size groups to shotgun patterns in short order due to copper fouling. Never an issue from a hunting perspective but would have to clean it after every range visit.
Yep it can happen, that's why was careful not to say it couldn't.

Describe shotgun pattern.
Going from a 3-shot group (cold bore) that can be covered by a dime to a 3-shot group (cold bore) that can be covered by a salad plate.

The fix was easy enough: clean with copper solvent until the patches were clean. Then it was right back to dime size groups.

Wrench

WKR
Going from a 3-shot group (cold bore) that can be covered by a dime to a 3-shot group (cold bore) that can be covered by a salad plate.

The fix was easy enough: clean with copper solvent until the patches were clean. Then it was right back to dime size groups.
That barrel either has an awful rust area, was lapped backwards or there's more going on. Typically an extremely fouled barrel will not change by much more than a minute.

That barrel either has an awful rust area, was lapped backwards or there's more going on. Typically an extremely fouled barrel will not change by much more than a minute.
That gun was sold off a couple of years ago so I can’t do any further analysis on it.

The entire process was 100% repeatable. Would go from super accurate to holy crap in under 20 rounds. Quick clean and you’re back to super accurate.

I’ve not encountered this with any of my other rifles. But it did teach me two lessons. First, pay attention to perceived negative impacts on accuracy. Second, it’s cheaper and less frustrating to part ways with a problem rifle right away rather than fight it.

My tikka .243 is doing this. Was shooting about 1 moa. The other day I shot a coyote and my impact was way off. So I shot it yesterday at 100. Had 2 shots that almost were touching and then after that it was shotgun. Impacts all over about paper plate size?? Checked the scope
Mount and it seems good to go. Cleaned it.
Gonna shoot it again in a day

My tikka .243 is doing this. Was shooting about 1 moa. The other day I shot a coyote and my impact was way off. So I shot it yesterday at 100. Had 2 shots that almost were touching and then after that it was shotgun. Impacts all over about paper plate size?? Checked the scope
Mount and it seems good to go. Cleaned it.
Gonna shoot it again in a day
Make sure to use a copper solvent. Regular Hoppes didn’t work for me.

Do hope you get your issue resolved. Is this a “new” issue for you or something that you’ve been fighting?

Wrench

WKR
I have an Outers foul out 3 which will take every bit of copper from a barrel. The process is basically reverse ele troplating and it shows the deposits and concentration of copper on the anode rod.

OP
Buckshot85
My Barnes 30-06 180 Vor-Tex came in.
Last 3 shots out of a very warm barrel.
Federal premium 180 accubond just would not shoot. Out of the blue.
I decided not to do anything.
Shot the Barnes after work today.
Can’t argue with that.

Attachments

• 0538AA4A-5E14-47EF-9BF4-95642ACF796D.jpeg
    0538AA4A-5E14-47EF-9BF4-95642ACF796D.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 26
My Barnes 30-06 180 Vor-Tex came in.
Last 3 shots out of a very warm barrel.
Federal premium 180 accubond just would not shoot. Out of the blue.
I decided not to do anything.
Shot the Barnes after work today.
Can’t argue with that.
Very nice!

Make sure you shoot it again to confirm zero with a cold barrel.

I have had rifles that stayed accurate with a warm barrel but the POI would crawl a little vs cold

eamyrick

WKR
That Barret front screw also calls for 80 inch lbs. 36 on the rear. I’ve had two Fieldcrafts and ordered a fix it stix torque limited to ensure I was hitting the correct numbers. The barrel is fully bedded and improper toque up front could cause issues.

OP
Buckshot85
That Barret front screw also calls for 80 inch lbs. 36 on the rear. I’ve had two Fieldcrafts and ordered a fix it stix torque limited to ensure I was hitting the correct numbers. The barrel is fully bedded and improper toque up front could cause issues.
Yup. I have a good torque wrench for action screws.

robtattoo

WKR
You have a quality scope, I'm assuming in quality mounts, in a quality rifle, shooting quality, proven ammunition. You haven't touched it in quite a while.

It ain't the gun or optics.

We all have bad days & sometimes it only takes a single shot to rattle us. The 6lb lump of goo between your ears is far, far more likely to cause bad or erratic groups than anything going mysteriously awry with an untouched setup.