PRC custom vs factory rifles

It seems like a lot of what makes PRC rifles special is the uniformity and tight tolerances of both the rifles and ammo.

With that in mind, would the additional cost of a custom rifle be all that beneficial over a factory one?

I’m specifically looking at the 7 PRC and if I went custom it would be my first one so don’t know what to expect. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

No. Only reason to get a custom now days is if you want something you can’t get from a factory rifle, like a wildcat or a faster twist barrel.

IMO, since most customs are getting built around a remington 700 trigger, they are inferior to a Tikka/sako/blaser factory rifle.

huntnful

WKR
If you have the money, I recommend going custom and using a Bat Vesper action. You won’t regret that purchase.

But that said, my close second choice would be a factory tikka rifle with a trigger spring in it, and put into a new stock. And eventually a profiled barrel of my choice. (Which is basically just a custom built around a tikka action and trigger).

But getting a full custom built and the letting it be held back by factory ammo would be ideal either.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends upon what you want. Depends on your budget.

How far do you want to hunt?
What animal will you be hunting?

The barrel, stock, and trigger all matter to some degrees.

Getting a custom barrel gives you additional confidence in the precision of the barrel. There are all sorts of reasons why that is. However, factory barrels are better than ever. Not a huge difference.

Replacing a cheap stock with a carbon fiber is a huge improvement for stability and human interface/design.

Factory triggers are a lot better these days too.

Agree with everything you said about the inherent accuracy advantages to PRC cartridge design.

Combine that with the fact that high end rifles (or anything really) are BUKU bucks for marginal gains that are meaningless to 98% of users, and the answer is pretty clear.

Lots of good options for 1/2 or less what a custom would cost. I would bet that 1/2 to 2/3 of the Ruger Americans in a PRC cartridge will shoot just as good as rifles costing 5x as much.

huntnful

WKR
Agree with everything you said about the inherent accuracy advantages to PRC cartridge design.

Combine that with the fact that high end rifles (or anything really) are BUKU bucks for marginal gains that are meaningless to 98% of users, and the answer is pretty clear.

Lots of good options for 1/2 or less what a custom would cost. I would bet that 1/2 to 2/3 of the Ruger Americans in a PRC cartridge will shoot just as good as rifles costing 5x as much.
That’s a great point honestly. The costs of a custom gives you, more than likely, an edge on accuracy, but probably not needed for most hunting ranges anyways. And the fit, feel and function that you personally want. But still not necessary to kill something at 500 yards.

I have customs and they’re great and shoot great. But they do tie up a lot of cash. If I didn’t have an extra totally useless $5k laying around to blow on a custom, I’d just get a tikka and go to town. And slowly upgrade it as it fits my budget.

if the veil/roughtech options fit the weight and barrel length a guy is looking for it's hard to look past throwing one in an upgraded stock or just going seekins. I'd only go custom if wanting a shorter barrel.

I think there's very little reason to get a custom these days unless you're picky on barrel contour/twist rate/length or the trigger. I happen to be picky on barrel length and extremely picky on triggers so I have to have R700 footprint in mine to use the triggers I like. If you are not weird like me, I'd just go with a Tikka of your preferred flavor.