ACL/Meniscus Surgery...this sucks

warrior80

WKR
So I had to go and screw things up for my hunting season. I just had ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair surgery yesterday on my right knee. I tore them playing softball, of all things, a week and a half ago. Needless to say I am super bummed about it. I'm just hoping I'm going to be able to get out and do some hunting this year. This is terrible timing with the archery hunt starting mid-August in Utah.

Who out there has had this surgery and how long did it take you to be able to get out in the hills?

Dr. told me 6 months minimum for full recovery but I may be able to get out and do some easy stuff. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ouch! Never had this happen but am considering shoulder surgery.

How old are you if you don't mind sharing?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
6 months is about right before I'd let you trounce around the mountains. And I'd probably have you wear a brace the first year you are getting back out there. ACL is a good operation, but some folks feel better before the graft is matured. It actually gets weaker for awhile before it gets stronger. Its important not to do more damage during that time. Meniscus repairs are a little less straight forward and can be tough to heal even in ideal circumstances. (this assuming yours was repaired and not trimmed back) Stick with your PT and follow it through. No doubt if you're a hunter, you're a tough sonofagun. But biology takes time. Do your part in the rehab and let nature do its part. All the best.

Wyatt G

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had the acl surgery but I've had meniscus surgeries. it took me about 3 months before I started working out but I should have given it another month. just take your time with it and follow the pt to the letter. dont over do it like me and end up missing 2 or 3 seasons.

Felix40

WKR
Both times I had acl replacements it was 3-4 months before I was strong enough to really do much. At 6 months they were both back to 100% but my muscle had deteriorated a fair amount. I don't care what the doctor says, it will never be the same again. I can do squats and box jumps and climb mountains no problem but playing soccer just doesn't work anymore.

Johnboy

WKR
Sorry for your misfortune. I'm in a similar boat. I re-tore the labrum in my right shoulder which I had surgically repaired in '12. Did it playing softball. Feels like hot gravel. I leave for a northern AK moose/caribou hunt (my first) on 9/7. We'll see..

Stwrt9

WKR
I would say 6 months is a pretty accurate estimated time to be on the safe side. I had acl done in college and was back playing ball in 5 months. it did help that i was in pretty good shape going in to the surgery and went through extremely vigerous physical therapy to get myself back, plus i was a bit younger and my recovery was aided by that. not sure how i would do now! plan on 6 months and stay mentally focused on your goals and progress and you'll be fine. Once back, trusting that your back, is probably the hardest thing. good luck in a speedy recovery.

I tore my meniscus but refused the surgery and hunted on it anyway. Yeah, it hurt but it also ground the "gravel" from the tear to bits and now I don't need the procedure. Pain is gone. I just don't like guys carving on me.

KyleC78

FNG
Had complete blowout to my right knee, all ligaments, no meniscus, when I was 17 and was back to all sports in 3 months with a brace on... Record time. Fast forward to 31 YOA, had microfracture procedure to same knee due to pulverized cartilage on left femoral condyle (femur cap) last November (injured it way before the hunt but the mountains of Idaho really showed how bad it was) and I'm only starting to jog as of 2 weeks ago. Point being age is a big factor in recovery. Like others have said hammer out the PT and follow it exactly. Opt for aquatic therapy if that's an option where you live, that's the best thing I ever did for the most recent surgery. I'd also say look into a brace and one that will lock at certain degrees of bend and that also will not allow the knee to hyperextend. I'm going back to Idaho in October and will have a brace in tow this year just to be safe.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This suck for sure, don't wish this on anyone let alone a hunter! words of wisdom take it easy and slow hammer your recovery before you get out and doing anything aggressive........you get one pair of knees don't risk the future by pushing things..........long story short for me...tore my acl and meniscus 25+ yrs ago, chose wrong surgeon. back then they sometimes did not replace and I was young and stupid....did not have mine replaced 5 yrs later having issues due to no acl and going back to court sports...found super surgeon but damage was done..acl then replaced, but those 5 yrs without could never be reversed...now just managing issues having had 10 surgeries in all and another replacement 11 yrs ago..protect your knees like your family and look to the future.....good luck on recovery, full recovery will be one year for the actual graft and mental side as well....

elkguide

WKR
Only done meniscus surgery myself but it was great until I over did what my Physical Therapist said that I could do. Trust them and trust your Dr. You'll be back sooner and it won't get it destroyed again by doing to much too soon. Good luck.

OP
warrior80

warrior80

WKR
Thank you guys for the comments so far and the well wishes. The whole thing is really frustrating but I will follow what the dr and pt have me do. I start physical therapy on Monday. Because of how bad the meniscus tear was, I have to be on crutches for at least a month. The dr said the meniscus is where the majority of the pain is from right now and will be the tough part over the first few months. Then it will shift and the acl will be what takes the longest to get to full strength. Going to be a long road. But I believe I have an excellent dr based on credentials and recommendations I received to go to him. Plus he's an archery hunter...so that's a bonus! Man, I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but the first couple of days have been way more painful then I even thought. It's starting to get better though, at least pain wise. It's good to know some of you have gone through it and come out strong.

kodiakfly

WKR
Search "ACL" and you should find a couple threads I've started. I'm 37 and in good muscular shape and had an autograft. I tore mine in my right knee in 2014 hauling out a goat, surgery in October of 15 on my request (so I didn't miss fishing season 2015). I feel your pain and frustration. A couple of things, first, you'll come back. Second, don't rush it and listen to your surgeon and therapist. Explain to them what you want in your terms. You say your surgeon is a bowhunter, great. Talk in terms of hunting. My doc, he was talking in terms of lateral movement and weights, but when I said, "goat hunting" he said, "oh goat hunting..." and gave me another set of expectations.

I'm at 8 months now and I did fall again and retore my graft, but I'm doing ok with my brace. I have a DonJoy Defiance III and the thing is great. I can jog and do decent hills with decent loads. Not like I used to be, but enough to hunt. Do your rehab, follow up and get a brace and you'll be able to hunt. The most painful advice I was given last year was, "forget this season so you can hunt future seasons." I hated hearing that, but it's true. I missed all of 2015, but it looks like I'll be able to maybe do 2016. Rehab it, ice it, all that crap and it'll heal. I'm not a doctor, but just a guy who's been through it, did his homework and is coming back from it. PM me if you'd like some motivation. If I can do it!....

MtnMuley

WKR
The most important thing to speed your recovery now is PT. I was in the same boat years ago, and worked my legs out religiously leading up to surgery and the day following surgery had my PT bend my knee to 90 degrees. Many of tears, but I had an amazingly fast recovery time. Even with a super recovery time, I'm not sure about hiking in uneven terrain this fall. Who knows though, it's up to you how you tackle the recovery.

The meniscus is the easy part, ACL is the hard part. Had my meniscus trimmed back in March 2015. I hunted hard in Sept, I'd say I was about 80%. I was probably 80% more to the time I had to take off from conditioning, then the knee.

OP
warrior80

warrior80

WKR
I'm at 8 months now and I did fall again and retore my graft, but I'm doing ok with my brace. I have a DonJoy Defiance III and the thing is great ... The most painful advice I was given last year was, "forget this season so you can hunt future seasons." I hated hearing that, but it's true. I missed all of 2015, but it looks like I'll be able to maybe do 2016.

Thanks for the tips. That's too bad about the re-tear. This quote is what I'm worried about. But I will miss the entire season if that's what it takes. We can hunt through mid-December here in Utah for elk...so maybe?

...the day following surgery had my PT bend my knee to 90 degrees. Many of tears, but I had an amazingly fast recovery time.

I can't even imagine doing that. That's awesome you healed fast. Right now the dr is limiting me from 0 - 30 deg bend with my brace. So I'm thinking my recovery might be longer. I'm nervous about PT tomorrow.

I was probably 80% more to the time I had to take off from conditioning, then the knee.

Yeah I imagine that's going to be a problem. There's really not much I can do for conditioning since I can't even walk.