Deviated septum/sinus surgery recovery

Grumman

WKR
I’m hoping it goes well for you. I’m interested to hear your feedback. I’ve got a deviated septum one side is about 85% closed and I’ve been torn on getting it fixed. One ENT said he wouldn’t recommend the surgery due to the pain/recovery and another said he’d highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I’m hoping it goes well for you. I’m interested to hear your feedback. I’ve got a deviated septum one side is about 85% closed and I’ve been torn on getting it fixed. One ENT said he wouldn’t recommend the surgery due to the pain/recovery and another said he’d highly recommend it.

I'll let you know how it goes!

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
Had mine done about five years ago. A few days after surgery I was back cycling in a race.

Biggest advice, do the treatments to keep the packing moisturized. I didn't, got all dried out and hurt like hell when the nurse removed it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Follow the doc instructions. Dad had a scrape / septum repair. Don't smoke or overwork it. My dad did not listen and blew an artery in sinuses day after surgery because he decided to go light up w pack of Pall Mall Reds. Damned near bled out in my car while driving him to the emergency room. He was going in & out of consciousness when I got him to ER. They only got the bleeding stopped by shoving a ballon up his nose and inflating it. Not cool! Looked like someone poured a jug of blood all over the front passenger seat & center console of my car.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t even know you could get this surgery. I have a deviated septum from years of cocaine abuse and it affects my sinuses. They’re constantly draining and clogged. I feel like I can’t live without saline spray. I went to my dr and I’m pretty sure he told me there’s nothing he can do about the septum. So he gave me antibiotics but so far it seems like it hasn’t done much.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t even know you could get this surgery. I have a deviated septum from years of cocaine abuse and it affects my sinuses. They’re constantly draining and clogged. I feel like I can’t live without saline spray. I went to my dr and I’m pretty sure he told me there’s nothing he can do about the septum. So he gave me antibiotics but so far it seems like it hasn’t done much.

Do you do a nasal rinse as well? If not, I would highly recommend it.

Also your handle reminds of the "I'm a little teapot" song 😂

A sinus rinse is somewhat precluded by a deviated septum that allows the wash out before it reaches the problem area. You need to go to an ear, nose and throat doc for a long term solutiion.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Do you do a nasal rinse as well? If not, I would highly recommend it.

Also your handle reminds of the "I'm a little teapot" song

I don’t use a rinse. Just the spray. I’ll look into the rinse.

I’ve haven’t heard that one but it now that you say it, it reminds me of it too lol

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm scheduled for surgery to straighten out a deviated septum and clean up my sinuses at the end of this month. It sounds like the "cleaning up my sinuses" part of the surgery is the more invasive part of the surgery, and requires a bit more recovery time than just a septum surgery would require.

I'm a farrier/blacksmith by trade, so I spend all day with my head below my waist underneath horses, and swinging a hammer. I'm also a crossfitter. Needless to say, my every day life is fairly active and physical.

My question is in regards to a realistic recovery timeline. Has anybody had this operation done? What did your recovery look like? How long before I can realistically expect to be back to work and fitness?
1 week and I went back to work in a steel mill. 2 weeks and, other than the tubes in my nose, I was feeling pretty normal again.

I had deviated septum repair, nasal turbinate shrink (really helped with allergies) and they snipped my uvula for snoring. The uvula was way worse than the nose, but I get to sleep in the same bed as my wife. She may disagree, but I think that's a good thing.

Jeremy

mi650

WKR
I had the polups cleaned out. They didn't have to go real deep and I only had one set of tampaxes to pull out. The surgery was nothing. The healing was like having a bad cold. The removing of the tampaxes was 1.5 seconds of hell. I was good to go after that. I have had to do a sinus rinse a couple times a day since then. More of an inconvenience than a problem.
I had it done when I was 14 or 15. Yea, I was pretty bruised. But when the doc pulled the tampons out!! OW, shit!! 😂 That was over 40 years ago, and I can still almost feel it.

I had a deviated septum, polyps, bad allergies, etc. I got sinus surgery in 2017 and it definitely helped. After 5+ years of allergy shots, I still have allergies, so I still have drainage, clogging, etc. No sinus surgery will rid your allergies. So, I use a saline sinus rinse 2x per day (Neil Med), OTC fluticasone propionate (generic Flonase), and an OTC antihistamine (generic Zyrtec). It is far from perfect, but I can breathe now.

I do wonder if the polyps have come back somewhat, so I may have that checked out again this year.

I'm scheduled for surgery to straighten out a deviated septum and clean up my sinuses at the end of this month. It sounds like the "cleaning up my sinuses" part of the surgery is the more invasive part of the surgery, and requires a bit more recovery time than just a septum surgery would require.

I'm a farrier/blacksmith by trade, so I spend all day with my head below my waist underneath horses, and swinging a hammer. I'm also a crossfitter. Needless to say, my every day life is fairly active and physical.

My question is in regards to a realistic recovery timeline. Has anybody had this operation done? What did your recovery look like? How long before I can realistically expect to be back to work and fitness?
Yes. It took me about three weeks before I’d attempt anything. It was about 7 days when they took the tubes out. The ones they stick up your nose and your stitch to the little flap between your nostrils. It’s a riot because the skin in your nose grows around the tubes.

It’ll be worth it. It’s pretty miserable really. But, as soon as they remove the tubes, you turn the corner.

But, there is zero way you are going to be putting your head any where it exposes the nose to being bumped.

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
I had forgotten about being bumped in the nose. Had young kids at the time, a few weeks after surgery I got walloped in the nose. O. M. G. was that painful.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

mgblood59

FNG
I think this is something I need to look into. Took a good amount of damage in college to my nose.

Yarak

WKR
Make sure after the surgery that you rinse your sinus cavity regularly before you have this stents removed
If you don’t it’ll feel like someone pulling sandpaper through your nose…painful !!

One other thing- I really did feel like I needed to go to the ER the first night after the surgery. I had a lot of trouble breathing while trying to sleep and thought I needed an ambulance to come get me. My wife called my Dr. in the middle of the night and she kind of chuckled and said that was normal. I don't get too overly worried, but that one scared me.

Laned

WKR

What did your doctor tell you? Mine said 2 wks, but defintely expect to be out of commission at least the first week.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

I had Rhinoplasty done about 12 yrs ago and wish I had done it sooner because I was suffering from sinus infections every few months before that. Days later when the doctor pulls the gauze packing out of your nose you will breath great but you cant blow your nose for a while. I think in a couple of weeks you can return to normal workouts but thats for your surgeon to confirm.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I'm more than 48 hours post surgery. I'm not miserable, but I'm not happy either. Living on oxycodone and sleeping a lot.

The first night was a rodeo. I was still bleeding pretty heavily at midnight, and the on call doctor recommended I go to the ER, so I did. They didn't help much with the bleeding, but helped a lot with the pain management. About 3 AM the pain was almost unbearable, and they gave me fentanyl in addition to my oxycodone. That allowed to sleep a bit.

Since then, I've been able to stay on top of the pain and the bleeding has slowed way down. I'm definitely excited to get these stents out, because they are an inconvenience.