Adult onset missing

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been deer hunting over 30yrs and shooting guns and bows 35+. I’ve killed a lot of deer with both weapons and have missed a couple here and there along the way for bad choices, shots or luck.

Typically there was a pronounced cause that 95% my error wether it was not noting the stick in the way, a bad anchor or cheek weld and I knew why I missed that 20th shot. I’m someone of a heavy heart and ethics who will search endlessly to verify a clean miss or track any hit. This being said, I’ve taken the top bucks I’ve had accessed to with both bow and ML.

3 years ago I missed two nice bucks in a row. The first was a bitter cold day and had string contact, the second I don’t have a reason for or theory behind… but ended up low on a perfect clean 25yd broadside shot. Last yr i took a difficult shot on my target buck and just took hair, then missed him w my custom ML (due to not dialing my scope) but was able to take him late season. I also had a high shoulder hit on a Midwest buck at 35 but believed he dropped the shot as he was on edge.

So this season I missed a doe w the bow at the start of the season and didn’t know why. Second day of gun I took the only mature buck i had to hunt at 260yds- perfect hit and outcome. I missed two does this weekend- one was an easy shot the second nothing difficult and had a good rest. I being concerned and paper shot the gun at 200 and was 1” high. Tonight I missed two does, back to back inside 200 w solid Bog tripod rest. Now my gray matter is jumbled. Nothing has changed with my health, the gun/loads, etc. While I haven’t shot as much this summer as previous- I’ve shot this ML 15+ times with a few shots at 500. I plan to shoot this gun tomorrow for verifications sake. Pondered taking my sons gun which I shot a couple weeks ago for the last few hunts of the season. In my heart, and evident with posting this; I feel like it’s me along the lines of developing live deer target panic. While I practice shooting my bow year round and bench shooting rifles (and some varmint hunting) over the summer I feel like there is a cognitive issue.

Has anyonelse tackled adult onset deer missing? Any thoughts or advice on my what appears to be deteriorating accuracy with hunting deer ? Any and all help appreciated… insults are fine but I’m beating myself harder than you can. I don’t want to wound anything and want this worked out before it costs me a buck that I’ve worked so hard to get a chance at.

Shooting at deer 250 Too 500 yards with a muzzle loader might be the problem, other than that you know what thry say ----- SHIT HAPPENS.

OP
G

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting at deer 250 Too 500 yards with a muzzle loader might be the problem, other than that you know what thry say ----- SHIT HAPPENS.

It’s a specialized gun and I practice to 500 (not hunting).

While I agree with the latter I also need some resolution on why to continue hunting ethically. Going to the shooting bench today to hopefully find some answers.

fatlander

WKR
I lied to myself for a couple years about having target panic. It took a fall of missing 4 book animals to finally address the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure how old you are but for me I started hunting around age 23. Started off and was able to kill game pretty well with archery equipment. As I have gotten older (now almost 40) target panic has gotten worse. Last spring I completely changed my shot process and it has helped a ton. I also switched to a hand held thumb release and took the shot iq course. Everything has been much better since but I still struggle a little with slowing down the process when it comes time to shoot. You might just need to make a small change in your shooting process (bow or firearm) to clear things up. I think we've all been there - good luck getting it figured out.

I recently had to talk my brother down from this ledge earlier this season. I told him as a surgeon if i dont want complications, then i need to stop doing surgery, but that isn’t going to happen. Yes complications suck, but its part of the job.

If you dont want to miss ever, then stop hunting. For most of us (and for my brother, that isnt an option)….

So how to fix this? Repeatable steps to produce the same outcomes when you are shooting vs hunting. Shoot more doe. Practice drawing up and going through the motions on smaller bucks. Sit and watch and dont shoot but let the excitement of seeing a good buck become a more common thing. Buck fever is real, and if you dont get happy when you shoot a deer then you are in it for the wrong reasons, but that doesnt mean we have to let out emotions control the narrative. Put yourself in as many sktuations as you can and go through the motions of shooting animals except dont. It will help calm your nerves next time it is time to actually pull the trigger.

And make smart choices about shots. Dont shoot without solid rests (gun/ML) dont shoot at unrealistic distances, dont force a shot that is questionable. In my mind its better to let a deer walk without having taken a shot that force a shot and regret it for the rest of the season (or your life).

Only thing I can think of is having a shot sequence and focusing on that more than anything else as you're executing a shot.

Really focus on that trigger pull coming straight back to where your stock is touching your shoulder. If you need to time it with crosshairs wobbling, you're probably not going to fix the issue.

OP
G

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I lied to myself for a couple years about having target panic. It took a fall of missing 4 book animals to finally address the problem.

Speak to me friend; How did you address it!?!??!

OP
G

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for your responses.

45 and to zap point- for the last 15 yrs there have been many flops coming easy.

Silly question - but is target panic the same root of evil for both gun and archery shots? I have played with back tension and coaches in the past, likely do trigger punch but am accurate on foam. The same with guns and steel (have shot that ml to 600 twice this summer and other rifles to 750 accurately).

While I agree with deer fever- I’d guess I’m north of 150 (maybe closer to 200) kills. I’m missing does all of a sudden despite have taken a couple booners in the north east.

Want to fix and need to fix it. Like the post above on book bucks (and that of seeing lots of deer)- I spend all year on these darn things and missing is controllable. It’s getting beyond random or a bad happenstance. Need to get back in line.

Someone once told me if you’re calm and collected every time you shoot at an animal you’re hunting for the wrong reasons.

Buck fever, it’s a real thing.
I’m not sure I agree with this. I still get “excited“ when a 160 class buck walks out, but it doesn’t “rattle” me.
Does that mean it’s time for me to quit deer hunting and take up golf?:LOL:

Silly question - but is target panic the same root of evil for both gun and archery shots? I have played with back tension and coaches in the past, likely do trigger punch but am accurate on foam. The same with guns and steel (have shot that ml to 600 twice this summer and other rifles to 750 accurately).
I know I've heard Joel Turner speak of gun fights and missing in relation to archery target panic. I'm sure there are some different pit falls in each but i dont see how some of the basics wouldn't translate.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I did not see it mentioned above, maybe get an eye exam. One of my hunting partners went on a streak of missing buck after buck for several years in a row. He got an eye exam and found out he had a problem that required surgery. After he got the surgery he said that he did not realize how bad his eyes were. He is currently on another bad streak and I am wondering if he needs another procedure.

OP
G

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I did not see it mentioned above, maybe get an eye exam. One of my hunting partners went on a streak of missing buck after buck for several years in a row. He got an eye exam and found out he had a problem that required surgery. After he got the surgery he said that he did not realize how bad his eyes were. He is currently on another bad streak and I am wondering if he needs another procedure.

I’ve been cursed to wear glasses for the last 30 of my 45yrs so it’s pretty much an annual thing though Im likely near 18 months due to some insurance changes. Hmmm

mt100gr.

WKR
Before you start second guessing what has obviously worked for a while (gear and techniques), I second the eye exam. Make sure your vision is 100% of what it was when everything else was clicking.

Good luck!

Honyock

WKR
I recently had to talk my brother down from this ledge earlier this season. I told him as a surgeon if i dont want complications, then i need to stop doing surgery, but that isn’t going to happen. Yes complications suck, but its part of the job.

If you dont want to miss ever, then stop hunting. For most of us (and for my brother, that isnt an option)….

So how to fix this? Repeatable steps to produce the same outcomes when you are shooting vs hunting. Shoot more doe. Practice drawing up and going through the motions on smaller bucks. Sit and watch and dont shoot but let the excitement of seeing a good buck become a more common thing. Buck fever is real, and if you dont get happy when you shoot a deer then you are in it for the wrong reasons, but that doesnt mean we have to let out emotions control the narrative. Put yourself in as many sktuations as you can and go through the motions of shooting animals except dont. It will help calm your nerves next time it is time to actually pull the trigger.

And make smart choices about shots. Dont shoot without solid rests (gun/ML) dont shoot at unrealistic distances, dont force a shot that is questionable. In my mind its better to let a deer walk without having taken a shot that force a shot and regret it for the rest of the season (or your life).
To a lot of people on this forum, I am probably considered old. Texasbuckye's advice is a great place to start. See a spike buck, go through the motions you would normally do to shoot it. I've also switched over to illuminated reticles (Zeiss #68 ZBI) and it has helped me a lot with my aging eyes. For me, the illuminated reticle (small center illumination, not the whole thing) has made me focus on the illuminated cross hairs more which has helped in my field accuracy.