Record book buck. Do you enter it?

morten

FNG
So I’ve shot my first Pope and Young buck this year (139 gross/green score). I’ve always said if I shot one I probably wouldn’t enter it. Wondering different opinions on the subject. Is it bragging?

Personal decisión.

I’ve entered a few animals over the years, on the fence these days. Sometimes i tell myself start sending them in slowly but surely, but here I sit with only about 5 or so I’ve entered with about 25 I haven’t. Bragging? I don’t think so.

Congratulations on arrowing s very nice deer.

OP
morten

morten

FNG
Thanks for the opinions guys. With what Cnelk said, I’ve always said, no one respects a big black bear more than a “good” bear hunter and no one respects a big buck more than a “good” deer hunter.

OP
morten

morten

FNG
PNWGator,
My biggest concern is I don’t want to be looked at as a bragger. I know a few hunters that are that way and I despise that kind of attitude. Yes I am proud of the taking this buck after a 2 year chase but consider myself to be a pretty humble person.

PNWGATOR

WKR
PNWGator,
My biggest concern is I don’t want to be looked at as a bragger. I know a few hunters that are that way and I despise that kind of attitude. Yes I am proud of the taking this buck after a 2 year chase but consider myself to be a pretty humble person.
Certainly understandable.

Does the buck deserve it?

Do you?

Those two questions ought to offer some insight into your question.

Again, congratulations!

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
The pope and young club is so so much more than a record keeping organization. Entering an animal is a fun experience and the financial support for the club is greatly needed. The projects they support that have nothing to do with record keeping are working to sustain our bowhunting lifestyle and its future for our kids and Thiers. I highly recommend going to a convention (2024 phoenix) or one of thier events (this coming weekend in Dallas) and along with having a great time, network with hunters , and see the difference the club is making.

THIER THE ONLY NATIONAL ORGANIZATION SUPPORTING BOWHUNTING AND ARE OUR VOICE ON THAT PLATFORM!!!!!!!!!

Support thier endeavors and your state organization. $100 to support and defend your sport is a no brainer

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Morten-

Some of the most humble people I’ve ever met, annd spent time with are the leaders of the pope and young club. Salt of the earth, driven people that your proud to have represent your cause.

Congrats on your deer!!!!! Great accomplishment!!!!!

I have at least one I'll enter someday, mainly the bull in my avatar. It's not so much for me, but I hope that a great great grandchild might Google my name someday and find the entry and in that moment he/she is the offspring of a true badass. ;)

Some could call that vanity I suppose. I'm just hoping my name can outlive my life. You put so much into living it makes me sad to consider it'll all be forgotten someday.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Does it cost money to enter it? That's usually the decision maker for me. I haven't killed a book buck (yet), but have caught several "citation" fish in virginia. You have to send money to the DNR and they send u a certificate saying its a trophy fish. I dont really need to pay someone else to tell me i caught a nice fish lol

Mojave

WKR
If you are standing in the bathroom and you want to measure your johnson against everyone else. Sure do that.

If you realize that you did zero in the evolution, health, feed, weather and genetics of that deer and you are getting him measured so you can let him realize his full potential. I would say you are still doing it for the Johnson reason.

I used to want to win a Weatherby award.

Then I realized I would have to talk to people that only hunt to fulfill some kind of list.

Who are you going to tell about your buck? Are they going to care, or hide from you in the bathroom?

jpmulk

WKR
Dont think it matters. Check your own motivations and go with what seems right. I personally don’t. Just don’t have the interest too.

WCB

WKR
I've gotten some "officially scored" but have not entered them. Have a wall full. Rarely get one "officially" measured any more as my measurements are normally right on the mark and it is just a hassle to bring them to get measured. Never really given a thought to it. I know they make the cut. Should be happy just knowing that at Pope and Young minimum you shot a deer bigger than 90% of bow hunters and for that matter deer hunters in general.