Record book buck. Do you enter it?

OP
morten

morten

FNG
Certainly understandable.

Does the buck deserve it?

Do you?

Those two questions ought to offer some insight into your question.

Again, congratulations!
PNWGator,
I feel your 2 questions hit the nail on the head. Thank you
Morten-

Some of the most humble people I’ve ever met, annd spent time with are the leaders of the pope and young club. Salt of the earth, driven people that your proud to have represent your cause.

Congrats on your deer!!!!! Great accomplishment!!!!
The pope and young club is so so much more than a record keeping organization. Entering an animal is a fun experience and the financial support for the club is greatly needed. The projects they support that have nothing to do with record keeping are working to sustain our bowhunting lifestyle and its future for our kids and Thiers. I highly recommend going to a convention (2024 phoenix) or one of thier events (this coming weekend in Dallas) and along with having a great time, network with hunters , and see the difference the club is making.

THIER THE ONLY NATIONAL ORGANIZATION SUPPORTING BOWHUNTING AND ARE OUR VOICE ON THAT PLATFORM!!!!!!!!!

Support thier endeavors and your state organization. $100 to support and defend your sport is a no brainer
I didn’t think of the donation aspect of entering a buck in the books. I wasn’t actually aware that the club did more than publish the records. I guess I should do some research of the club and what they promote. Thank you W shedhead.

My biggest concern is I don’t want to be looked at as a bragger.

I wouldnt get anything entered or even scored. It means nothing to me. In my world there's big ass bucks, decent bucks and dinks.

As to what other people think and how they look at you.... Who cares, hell with their opinion

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I wouldnt get anything entered or even scored. It means nothing to me. In my world there's big ass bucks, decent bucks and dinks.

As to what other people think and how they look at you.... Who cares, hell with their opinion
This, I couldn't have said it any better. I got a couple Pronghorns that would have made state or B&C maybe, I never bothered. I don't care. That's not why I hunt. For someone to look at my name in a book when I'm dead doesn't matter to me.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I have a hard time with entering a buck in Pope and young. Not so much anything about bragging or the recognition part. It just seems cheap that the bar is much lower than for a rifle harvested animal. If your trying to recognize an exceptional animal why does the bar for an exceptional animal get so much lower because it was harvested with a bow.

SO IL

FNG
I've never entered any of mine, but each to their own. If you do, it should be done for you alone. Deer hunting has turned into too much of a contest for alot of folks.

We should all be hunting for our own reasons, shooting deer we want to shoot as individuals (no matter how big or small as long as legal), and enjoying our hunts. The way I hunt and what i shoot is my business and bobody else's. I don't need to be in anybody else's business either.

I hope we all respect the land we hunt, the critters we're after, the opportunity and good health to be out there, and each other.

I said I would when I killed one- then I did. Then I killed another one. Haven’t entered either yet. Maybe I will if I ever shoot a B&C buck.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never entered any of mine. I know they like to look at the data and see where big animals come from, but I just don’t ever feel the need to do it. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it.

I’m a Millennial and don’t have any social media either, so not really in the norm.

cnelk

WKR
I had an OM tell me that if I didn’t enter the animal after he measured it he wouldn’t measure anymore for me.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed a couple book critters. I am thankful for those who have entered as I'm a data nerd and it's interesting to see which Units, Counties, & States can or have produced.

I haven't entered mine and won't. A big animal is a big animal and that's kind of it for me.

satchamo

WKR
Back in the day I’d say no. It was only a way of drawing attention to your area. Pre internet boom the record books were ways for guys to figure out wheee to go hunt…

Now, I don’t think it means crap. And especially not on a P&Y deer (no offense). Booner I’d be hesitant to enter it even now.

I Am Hunt

FNG
I hunt because I love the challenge the chase the possibility the one is just over that next rise not in some record book.

Lowg08

WKR
If I ever kill one to make the books. I’ll enter it. Hang it and the plaque in the house but just for myself. No social media and such. I feel like it celebrates an adventure. It’s not easy to kill a deer like that and they don’t get that big being stupid. I love the chase. It’s a memory i want for myself and to share with my kids and family. I have no desire to be famous for deer hunting or even known for it. I do it for myself because I love chasing mountain whitetails.

Yoder

WKR
I think it would be cool, but It's not real important to me. I guess it would depend how much effort it takes to enter it and how big the buck was. I also have second thoughts about highlighting the area I killed it.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've got 3 P&Y bulls in my garage that I haven't, nor will prob ever, enter. It's just not my thing. Nor do I want to give people the faintest idea of location.

Long Cut

WKR
I’m straying away from publicly broadcasting any of the “big” deer I kill. Sure I’ll post the 80-120” deer I kill- They’re a dime a dozen here.
BUT those bigger bucks is how someone with deeper pockets than you ruins a good thing.

My personal experience anyways. Take it for what you want.