Advice and guidance: 1 rifle and caliber

EmperorMA

WKR
Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor.

It will be extremely accurate right out of the box with more than a few different types of factory ammo, and there are tons of factory options available, especially so at the heavy, high-BC end of things.

True short action, mag has plenty of space due to the cartridge design, so no worries about tinkering or modifications.

I’ve been around five of these rifles and all are tack drivers that required absolutely zero work to get at least one 140 - 147gr factory load to shoot sub-MOA. There is nothing a 7-08 shooting 160 - 165gr loads can do that a 6.5 CM shooting 140 - 147gr bullets cannot, and you will have many more choices for the Creedmoor in that range to find a truly spectacular combination for your rifle.

Last edited:
I could use some thoughts from some folks outside my usual circles. I'm looking to pick up a high utility rifle to do the lion's share of most of my hunting. I'll layout the parameters of what I currently am looking as benchmarks, all things considered, and welcome anything I may be overlooking.

Quick about me, competent shooter and hunter. I'm not a long range nut, but I am competent within my set range and kill cleanly within my boundaries. I'm a Midwest deer hunter, whom is starting to travel hunt and have a few hunts under my belt and looking to do alot more out west and in mountains. Recently completed an archery pronghorn hunt (successful), did an Alaskan caribou hunt last year (successful), and heading to Kodiak in search of Blacktail next October and will do a destination hunt at least annually.

●My effective range, no more than 500 yards.
●I want a bolt action, preferably a short action non magnum.
●Under/or at 6 lb rifle.
●synthetic stock/ stainless preferred
●I am not recoil sensitive
●I wish to cleanly take game with new rifle from antelope to potentially elk (I do own a 7mm Mag for bigger game)
●I'd like to have a variety of bullet choices as well as commercially produced ammo options
●my budget is about $1K, I plan on spending as much on quality glass for the new rig.

Appreciate any help/Advice

My 2016 Pope and Young whitetail, for attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
View attachment 124782
I've been changing my "feelings" on the very same goal you have - Tikka sort of changed some things like the short action vs. long action & inherently accurate out of the box rifles - otherwise my pick (and I've been studying it HARD for the past month) is a T3X stainless in 300 WSM - I JUST closed my ammoguide page after doing some studying of loads and I am sold - SW should have T3X SS Lite going for $650 - $699 this weekend - you'll be over your budget cap a bit but if you're smart and choose a reliable scope (SWFA 3x9 SS ?) you'll be in for $1250 plus mounts and 2 extra mags and not have to look back - I was a 30.06 aficionado forever, still hold it in high esteem, but the 300 WSM has taken over top spot for me - easy to shoot, lots of good brass, miserly on powder, great performance, popular enough there's ammo all over the place

wildcat33

WKR
Tikka in 270 + SHV 2-10. If i had a few bucks left over Id pick up an aftermarket stock a-la manners/mcmillan/AG.

howl

WKR
270 WSM isn't really a magnum. If you'd be OK with 30-06 you'd be OK with 270 WSM.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
270 WSM isn't really a magnum. If you'd be OK with 30-06 you'd be OK with 270 WSM.
My dad has a 270wsm it's a tack driver. Factory bullets will most luckily need to be ordered. Brass also is expensive and not easy to come by. 270 bullet selection is very limited compared to almost every other caliber.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I'm liking what I'm looking at in the Kimber Hunter and the Tikka T3x. Likely it will be 1 of these two offerings.

Calibers, keeping in mind I am not planning on hunting beyond 500 yards, there are suggestions on 6.5 CM, .308 W, .30-.06, .270 W.

Realistically, where is the biggest bang for the buck in this slot, hunting under 500 yards, good knockdown power, inherent field accuracy, and wide range of available factory loads. I'm looking hard at the. 308 and 6.5 CM, but all the data makes ones head spin.

EastMT

WKR
I'm liking what I'm looking at in the Kimber Hunter and the Tikka T3x. Likely it will be 1 of these two offerings.

Calibers, keeping in mind I am not planning on hunting beyond 500 yards, there are suggestions on 6.5 CM, .308 W, .30-.06, .270 W.

Realistically, where is the biggest bang for the buck in this slot, hunting under 500 yards, good knockdown power, inherent field accuracy, and wide range of available factory loads. I'm looking hard at the. 308 and 6.5 CM, but all the data makes ones head spin.

I’ve shot a lot of game with a 308 180gr PT. Personally I don’t shoot my 6lb 308 farther than 300, not because it won’t do it but because the lighter the rifle the more your input effects the accuracy. On a 15lb rifle vs 6lb rifle with same trigger pull, the 6lb is going to be less accurate, not because of rifle but the light rifle will wiggle more without perfect trigger pull, input from you.

Don’t get too caught up in the data. It’s used for people that need to justify why theirs is better than yours. If you take the time and hunt vs lobbing bullets and praying any caliber is great. If you jerk the trigger terrible with a large recoil, get a 6.5. If you can handle a mid range recoil and shoot good, the 308 is great.

Obviously 30.06 and 270 will do as well or better, just LA and we all know 30.06 is so old it can’t even see to kill a deer. ;)

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot a lot of game with a 308 180gr PT. Personally I don’t shoot my 6lb 308 farther than 300, not because it won’t do it but because the lighter the rifle the more your input effects the accuracy. On a 15lb rifle vs 6lb rifle with same trigger pull, the 6lb is going to be less accurate, not because of rifle but the light rifle will wiggle more without perfect trigger pull, input from you.

Don’t get too caught up in the data. It’s used for people that need to justify why theirs is better than yours. If you take the time and hunt vs lobbing bullets and praying any caliber is great. If you jerk the trigger terrible with a large recoil, get a 6.5. If you can handle a mid range recoil and shoot good, the 308 is great.

Obviously 30.06 and 270 will do as well or better, just LA and we all know 30.06 is so old it can’t even see to kill a deer. ;)

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.
Definitely something to chew on. I figure the 30.-06 and .270 is awfully close to my 7mm Mag, why I'm not taking a close look at those 2.

330 yards with my 7mm Mag, Aug 2018FB_IMG_1536097429863.jpg

If you are set on a true short action then the tikkas are out (though I would say a 270 win in a tikka would be about perfect for what you are wanting). I would go with that Barrett Fieldcraft for $1250 in 308. Very nice and 5.1lbs

Truly 308 will be the most versatile, especially if you reload and and can go from 100gr bullets up to 200gr! Tons of factory ammo as well.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I vote Tikka t3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. You've already got the 7 mag get something with very little recoil so you don't have guns close to overlapping. My brother has the Tikka t3x Superlite in 6.5 and loves it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Remington Model Seven SS in your cartridge of choice. I have one in 7-08, 308, and 7 SAUM. I love them all. The magnum has a 22" barrel, but the other 2 have 20" barrels.

The stock on the Kimber Hunter is a little flimsy. I'd go with the Montana. New they are about $1300ish. But you generally can find them on here and other sites for about $900. Especially if not in one of the more popular calibers.

Kotaman

WKR
I picked up a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308. Put a Nightforce NX8 on it. Nice, accurate little mountain rig.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said short action

Yeah, I know that but tikkas only come in one length and I think someone else mentioned it.
It's funny.........this question gets asked ALOT and everyone goes round and round. More often than not, the tikka gets bought.

Randy

ianpadron

WKR
Tikka T3x in 7mm08.

Light, super accurate, no recoil, plenty of power out to 500.

If you want the lightest possible rifle step up to a Kimber Adirondack or Mountain Ascent in the same chambering.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk