Caliber recommendations

BearGuy

FNG
I am going to get a tikka rifle for my wife and daughter to shoot/hunt with and also make it a practice rifle for me. I shoot a 7mm rem mag. I don’t think I want to go all the way down to a .223 but I am also thinking something smaller/easier to shoot than a 6.5 creedmoor. I don’t reload as of this point but I may want to get into it in the future. What are your guys recommendation on a caliber to shoot that is a good performer terminally as well as good at harvesting animals?

Ac338

WKR
6 creedmor would be my choice although I believe you’d have to order a prefit as tikka doesn’t offer a 6 creed. If not willing to rebarrel or get a .223 which would work awesome then take a look at a 7mm-08 or .243

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
You should try the 223 seems like most who use it with the right bullets think it’s hard to beat. If you end up not liking it I’d bet you could sell it here and barely be out more than some shipping expenses, and you’ll get some practice with the most economical center fire rifle cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
I am going to get a tikka rifle for my wife and daughter to shoot/hunt with and also make it a practice rifle for me. I shoot a 7mm rem mag. I don’t think I want to go all the way down to a .223 but I am also thinking something smaller/easier to shoot than a 6.5 creedmoor. I don’t reload as of this point but I may want to get into it in the future. What are your guys recommendation on a caliber to shoot that is a good performer terminally as well as good at harvesting animals?
6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08, 243 will all work. Also, something to look into - some of these may offer reduced recoil rounds, which makes it easier for them to practice with and develop good shooting habits. Slip in the full power ammo for hunting and enjoy. Good luck with your decision!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Why don’t you not ‘want to go all the way down to a .223’?

Is it the hit rate? Wound channel? Depth of penetration?

You read this?

Bullets matter. Hit rates matter. You want a rifle for your wife and daughter to shoot: Tikka T3x Compact 223 cut tans threaded for a can, 6x SWFA mil/mil milquad, UM rings and the Blackhills 77RMK.

It’s that simple. They’ll ENJOY shooting it and have a platform purposefully assembled for learning, fun and killing anything on the face of the North American continent all in one.

How about that. Easy. Fun. Deadly. Simple. It’s a win.

rlenz

FNG
6.5 creedmoor. Replace the recoil pad and shoot lighter loads. 6.5 is usually cheaper and easier to find on the shelf. Hornady and Winchester 129g do have less recoil than the 140+ and still more than capable at 200+ yards

I wouldn’t buy a 243 that will have a 1200-1500 round barrel life for a rifle that will see some volume.

223 is the way to go. You’ll get 5-6K rounds of barrel life unless you’re really hard on it and ammo is cheaper.

rbaney

FNG
I have to agree with the 6mm cartridge suggestions. A fast twist 243 would be very easy on the shoulder and opens up a whole new world to explore for bullet selection. If you don't reload then you limit your selection to calibers more prone to a good market selection of ammo. The 223 is a good round for all those things ammo and reloading. The 6 CM is also good for the non-reloader as ammo is routinely available same with the 6.5 CM. The 243 can be hit or miss depending on your local gun shops. My input is decide whether you will reload or not and then find a nice 6mm caliber that is supported. Either way buy something that is what you need and want then go shoot.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Folks recommending the 223 for hunting all the time seem to forget not all states allow them (mine doesn't) so without verifying if its legal it then its a bad recommendation for a post that states he wants to use it for hunting.

slowelk

WKR
The other thing about that stands out as a barrier for pushing the 223 is that you must reload. The bullet that the whole idea is built around is not factory loaded. The closest thing is the black hills 556 round.

Vern400

WKR
I handload everything. I'd get a 7mm-08 and load it down with light bullets. Then you have almost enough snot for most game animals if you turn it up. I wouldnt object to a 6.5 Creed In like manner.

The Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel fits your spec list. Don't know if Tika makes one. It was designed as a more lethal replacement for 5.56. Crudely speaking, it's a downloaded 6.5 creedmoor. But it's a dead end road, whereas downloading a larger cartridge is not.

Most important thing would be to borrow one and take them shooting if that's possible at all. Sometimes recoil is an issue, sometimes muzzle blast, sometimes both. I know I hate being around anything with a brake.