New Rifle advice

Hey all, I recently picked up a nice Vortex Venom 5-25x56 FFP rifle scope, and am currently looking at a rifle to put under it, I live and hunt in the mountains of Virginia, but have plans to go out west, and up to Alaska to hunt big game in the very near future, but also want to do some long range shooting to prepare for 4-500 yard shots since 150-250 yards is a long shot around here. I'm torn between the PRC cartridges and the 6.8 Western, I've ruled out another 6.5cm as my wife has turned it into her primary hunting rifle. Any advice on what you'd lean towards? I've watched tons of videos and read articles, but wanna hear first hand from owners of the cartridges. Thank you all in advance!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Recommend you read the scope testing threads here before you go any further.

Also, listen to the shoot 2 hunt podcasts on scopes and terminal ballistics.

Bullets matter. Everything you’re wanting to do can be accomplished with a 77TMK.

Don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

Last edited:
Already have one with the blued barrel, looking more towards to PRC calibers or 6.8 wst

sure, but for what you want they're not a great choice because they're expensive to shoot, have reduced barrel life, higher recoil, and are just flat out unnecessary for 500 yard western hunting.

OP
Bjoornwolfr
sure, but for what you want they're not a great choice because they're expensive to shoot, have reduced barrel life, higher recoil, and are just flat out unnecessary for 500 yard western hunting.

Should I consider a magnum caliber instead, 7mm mag, .300 win mag, or even step down to a .308 win?

💯 💯💯

Inside 500 yards, these calibers will give you excellent ballistics and terminal performance with minimal recoil. This will improve your consistency and hit rate %. Absolutely no need to go magnum or PRC for what your described.

Because your a handloader, you can maximize performance with all of these cartridges and have fun doing some wildcatting by Ackley Improving, going with fast-twist barrels, etc... Tikka is an excellent platform for starting your journey.

.223- 77 Sierra Tipped Match King (TMK)
.243- 109 Hornady ELDM
6mm Creed- 109 Hornady ELDM
25 Creed- 134 Hornady ELDM, 133/135 Bergers
.25-06- 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip (BT), 117 Berger VLD, 120 Sierra Gold Dot (Federal Fusion bullet) or get a fast twist prefit (1:7.5) and launch Hornady 134 ELDM, 133/135 Bergers
6.5 Creed- 140 Hornady ELDM

Adding another relevant thread for your research and decision-making:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/6mm-243-hunting-success-on-big-game.284525/page-9#post-3089595

OP
Bjoornwolfr
I'm loving the feedback, I wouldn't be opposed to another 6.5 creed for around here, just nervous when I go hunt big alaskan bears that it won't be 'enough' I guess, I'll definitely do more research

I have a 6.8 western, a 6.5 PRC and a 280AI (pretty much the same thing as a 7mm prc). The 6.5 PRC is a phenomenal cartridge…its the exact same ballistically as a 6.5x284 norma which has killed a lot of critters at long ranges. That would be my vote. I am just loading my PRC up to go elk hunting as we speak. Run 156 bergers or 147 eldms and blast away. I am selling my 6.8 western to friend.

that's pretty awesome. the smaller cartridges would work for a brown bear (it's actually been done), but i get the psychological aspect telling you to grab something larger.

trying to think, maybe @thinhorn_AK or @VernAK have some first hand big bear experience? there are definitely some AK bear hunters around here, just not exactly sure who.

OP
Bjoornwolfr
that's pretty awesome. the smaller cartridges would work for a brown bear (it's actually been done), but i get the psychological aspect telling you to grab something larger.

trying to think, maybe @thinhorn_AK or @VernAK have some first hand big bear experience? there are definitely some AK bear hunters around here, just not exactly sure who.
The gentleman I'm going with is taking his .458 win mag custom rifle