Advice for hunting bedding areas?

atenjones

FNG
During my hunt in Colorado last year, I stumbled upon a pretty heavily used bedding area. Tons of rubs, sign etc. It's about 200 yards downhill from a meadow that I'm pretty sure they feed in. I called in a bull from the area towards the meadow in the evening (and then messed up the shot).

I'm planning on heading back to the same location this year for the opening week of archery season, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to hunt it. I'm thinking of slipping in during the early morning, when they're hopefully still feeding, and catching them as they filter back through the timber. Any advice for best time of day, where to set up, how to get in there without blowing them out etc?

Thanks!

My honest advice is don't do it. If you screw it up, you'll blow them out on day one and need to move areas. I would suggest you hunt from a similar elevation a few hundred yards away and try to draw one over. If I can't talk you out of it, thermals will be downhill so you could sidehill into the bedding area couple hours before shooting.

And for what it's worth, I have a a nearly identical setup that I won't be blowing up until the final couple days of the hunt. Hope we don't run into each other!

Dont do it.
Figure out where they are feeding and then hunt them accordingly to and from the bedding area with the wind in your favor. back out when the wind switches. Also its much easier to call in and kill an elk if you're in the path they want to go. Not quite as easy calling them in from an area they have already left.

Great - thanks so much for the quick replies. I'll be sure to steer clear, and just hunt the transitions, and then find some other areas during the middle of the day.

If you want to be an archery hunter of elk you best learn how to hunt bedding areas Not In Bedding Areas! Pulling bulls out of them is an art, this is especially so when they have no Hot Cows, this means in most cases the herd bull isn't very vocal but he's very callable, how, by playing on his instinct to breed!! Bud, learn the Slow Play Sequence, it's a bedding area killer! It's my # 1 spot to kill bulls!

Why is the bedding area the top choice, it's because you have the elk where they want to be, they do not want to leave, you have a captive audience! Keep the wind & cover in your favor & you'll love your results!

The problem that arises with hunters that try to call bulls away from bedding areas where bulls have no hot cows is they start out too aggressive, HUGE MISTAKE! Slow Your Play down & you will call in nearly every bull. Only raise intensity/Emotion as the Sequence is Elevated.

Sidenote --- When referring to Calling I'm talking about Raking, Stomping around, cow sounds, bull sounds such as groans, glunks, pants & even rattling antlers as needed. Stay versatile & Realistic, PLAY ON THAT INSTICNT TO BREED! Anytime you use Sounds or any Behavior Actions; this is calling! You are making sounds/noises to attract!

ElkNut/Paul

What Paul said.

Some of the reasons they love a bedding area is it is mysteriously safe for elk. It is commonly on the short step of a ridge where the wind swirls around. Spend a few days skirting the edges and working it without blowing out.

Funny thing about heavy bedding areas:
If you don't smell them...then its likely they are smelling you. Learn that wind, and know when to turn and bailout to try again later.

If you want to be an archery hunter of elk you best learn how to hunt bedding areas Not In Bedding Areas! Pulling bulls out of them is an art, this is especially so when they have no Hot Cows, this means in most cases the herd bull isn't very vocal but he's very callable, how, by playing on his instinct to breed!! Bud, learn the Slow Play Sequence, it's a bedding area killer! It's my # 1 spot to kill bulls!

Why is the bedding area the top choice, it's because you have the elk where they want to be, they do not want to leave, you have a captive audience! Keep the wind & cover in your favor & you'll love your results!

The problem that arises with hunters that try to call bulls away from bedding areas where bulls have no hot cows is they start out too aggressive, HUGE MISTAKE! Slow Your Play down & you will call in nearly every bull. Only raise intensity/Emotion as the Sequence is Elevated.

Sidenote --- When referring to Calling I'm talking about Raking, Stomping around, cow sounds, bull sounds such as groans, glunks, pants & even rattling antlers as needed. Stay versatile & Realistic, PLAY ON THAT INSTICNT TO BREED! Anytime you use Sounds or any Behavior Actions; this is calling! You are making sounds/noises to attract!

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks Paul! I actually called in a bull in this location last year based on some things I heard you talk about on the Exo/Hunt BackCountry podcast. Called him to to 23 yards and then, unfortunately, made a poor shot - but your suggestions definitely worked. I was just amazed that I actually had an opportunity on my first ever elk hunt! I'll go back and study up on the slow-play some more and give it a try. Thanks again!

Yes sir, the wind & cover are your best friends when hunting just outside their bedding grounds. Monitor it & you'll do just fine as my Son & I have for near 30 years as bowhunters of elk. Over 95% of our elk are taken once they get there! Why? Think about it guys, Elk are in their night time feeding/watering/bedding grounds until aprox 30 minutes to an hour after daylight. They then will travel a 1/4 mile to miles away to their Daytime bedding grounds in generally an hours time, this is called Transition from one place to another. It's there they spend the remainder of the day until just before evening.

Taking this into consideration you can see where the elk are for 90% of the day. Full Moon phases can even put them in their Daytime bedding grounds quicker unless rutting action is occurring. With this in mind you can see why we take most all our bulls in the bedding grounds, it's where they're at most of their lives! Learn to hunt these areas with care, this means reading the situation & applying a solid strategy! Works for us every year & it can work for you on OTC public lands.

ElkNut/Paul

It's really hard to pull a tired, bugled out herd bull from his bedding area. I've only done it once...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes sir, the wind & cover are your best friends when hunting just outside their bedding grounds. Monitor it & you'll do just fine as my Son & I have for near 30 years as bowhunters of elk. Over 95% of our elk are taken once they get there! Why? Think about it guys, Elk are in their night time feeding/watering/bedding grounds until aprox 30 minutes to an hour after daylight. They then will travel a 1/4 mile to miles away to their Daytime bedding grounds in generally an hours time, this is called Transition from one place to another. It's there they spend the remainder of the day until just before evening.

Taking this into consideration you can see where the elk are for 90% of the day. Full Moon phases can even put them in their Daytime bedding grounds quicker unless rutting action is occurring. With this in mind you can see why we take most all our bulls in the bedding grounds, it's where they're at most of their lives! Learn to hunt these areas with care, this means reading the situation & applying a solid strategy! Works for us every year & it can work for you on OTC public lands.

ElkNut/Paul

I hope to try Paul’s methods this year. Makes a lot of sense

Make sure to go through the Sequence several times at home & camp, this way you can work out any kinks, this will insure total confidence that it will work!

Too, remember that the sounds & raking used is done as natural as possible, this isn't a Sequence that you just ball all the sounds together to rush things. Take your time on those lethargic bulls, it's effectiveness will encourage you to continue to use it! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Great stuff as usual Paul! Learning how to hunt bedding areas is a must in any unit I've hunted whether a draw unit or a heavily pressured OTC unit.

Ive learned great patience in hunting bedding areas. I will hang out all day on the fringe if I have to. Once they are up in the late afternoon or evening, it's game on.

Personally, I don't worry about blowing them out if it falls apart. Ive got back up areas already mapped out if things go south.

Dave thanks!

Too, guys need not assume that when they hunt the close outskirts of bedding grounds in an attempt to draw elk their way through calling & don't succeed that day that elk will now leave, Not True! As long as you are not seen or winded you can return day after day, the elk will remain. In other words don't be wreckless or impatient & blow them out needlessly.

If a hunter so desires he can do his best to monitor the trails used as they come or go & ambush if that's your style. For me I'm a caller & have very good results tailoring calling to attract bulls in nearly every instance. It's rare for me to have to come back day after day, it's because I play on the bulls Instinct To Breed when at bedding grounds.

ElkNut/Paul

I agree with Elknut and have similar experiences. When I was first getting serious about archery elk, I got busted trying to sneak into bedding areas more times than I care to think about. Even if you have the wind, too many eyeballs to be effective. What has worked is setting up an ambush on the travel route to and from. I'm not a great caller so I like to increase my odds of an encounter. Even better if you can locate a wallow nearby. When it's hot, bulls will frequently wallow mid day to get rid of the fly's and cool off. This increases my odds midday when it's normally quiet.

I am not an archery hunter, but I have a bedding area that I have gotten elk out of. It took a couple of years to figure it out, but mid day come in from above. take 2 quiet steps and glass, take 2 quiet steps and glass, take 2 quiet steps and glass. This has gotten me within 50 yards of the herd and I took the best shot. this is rifle and I was not concerned on size of elk, just putting meat in the freezer.

you don't get many chances this way, but It has worked for me. I used to do what everyone else was saying and stay away, but sometimes you do need to be quietly aggressive.

Back