Advice for Mounting SWFA 3-9x42 on Rem 700 LA

Hey guys, hopefully some of you can help square me away.

After much research and deliberation, I recently bought one of the demo SWFA 3-9x42's. I ordered the Mil-quad because that was the only type available. It came in today and I was surprised to find that I received the Mil-dot version instead. Website, invoice, and box all say MQ but the scope is definitely mil-dot.

I'm not disappointed though. I was a little concerned about how the MQ reticle would perform in low-light conditions. I guess I don't need to worry about that anymore haha.

Anyways.....

Details:

I bought this scope with the intention of putting it on my Rem 700 ADL 30-06. This rifle is a backup for my primary hunting rig and will be used for deer, elk, and bear, with shots being kept under 450 yds. I plan to zero at 100 yds, dial for elevation, and use the reticle for wind-holds.

It is currently wearing a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42 with medium Talley rings. I originally bought low rings but the bolt handle was rubbing against the Butler Creek cap on the eyepiece. I've gotten used to dialing so I don't want a BDC reticle on this rifle anymore.

Based on info gleamed from various posts made by Formidilosus and others, I was thinking about mounting the SWFA using Burris XTR two-piece bases and either Warne Mountain Tech or Seekins rings. Supposedly this combination can handle a lot of abuse.

So here are my questions:

1) Does anybody have this same setup (swfa 3-9 on 700 LA)?? If so, what type/style of base and ring height did you go with?

2) What two-piece bases do you guys recommend? Since this is an ADL model (blind mag), I don't want to install a one-piece rail unless there is a significant advantage to doing so.

3) Do any of you think I should fuss with bedding the bases? I checked the Talley rings with the bars from my lapping kit and they lined up exact. After mounting the Nikon, I went out back to zero and 1st shot was less than 1.75" from point of aim. I took that as meaning the receiver was tapped well enough. I'm not an expert though so figured I should ask!

Thank you in advance for whatever info, suggestions, or insights you guys care to offer! The community here on Rokslide has really helped me to take my hunting and shooting game to the next level. I truly appreciate you guys!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So here are my questions:

1) Does anybody have this same setup (swfa 3-9 on 700 LA)?? If so, what type/style of base and ring height did you go with?

The picatinny rail and rings certainly work and Tally’s would probably be fine, however I have seen enough cracked Tally rings that they are not in contention for me. I would suggest you look at Hawkins Precision Hybrids. Similar to Tally, but I haven’t seen any break. I prefer limiting the amount of screws, and the one piece Hawkins do so.

OP
JustSomeGuy35
Why not use Talley again?
That was certainly my first inclination. Researching around Rokslide led me to consider options I normally would not have though. Form's post, "Scope mounting to maintain zero", was fairly persuasive in regards to parts selection.
Thanks for your reply!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
The picatinny rail and rings certainly work and Tally’s would probably be fine, however I have seen enough cracked Tally rings that they are not in contention for me. I would suggest you look at Hawkins Precision Hybrids. Similar to Tally, but I haven’t seen any break. I prefer limiting the amount of screws, and the one piece Hawkins do so.
I was looking at those a couple nights ago and liked that they have the built-in level. I think I will go ahead and give them a shot. Do you think the lows will work for my setup, without the bolt rubbing, or should I play it safe and go high?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I was looking at those a couple nights ago and liked that they have the built-in level. I think I will go ahead and give them a shot. Do you think the lows will work for my setup, without the bolt rubbing, or should I play it safe and go high?

Low are what I’d use.

Bater

WKR
B180F7CC-1A37-4D2F-A448-F3A9FEF0AF3C.jpeg
The Hawkins Hybrids are legit! You’ll dig em. I will however say I run Talley LWs on 12+ hunting rigs that see hard use and I’ve never had an issue. Good luck

260madman

WKR
The Warne 2pc Steel bases are slim in height like the Burris. I used these on my Xbolt with Warne low steel rings. I have the Burris 2pc bases on a Vanguard 30-06with a SWFA 6x in low rings and there’s bolt clearance and barrel clearance.

OP
JustSomeGuy35
View attachment 261305
The Hawkins Hybrids are legit! You’ll dig em. I will however say I run Talley LWs on 12+ hunting rigs that see hard use and I’ve never had an issue. Good luck
Damn, that is a sweet setup! I ordered the Hawkins and can't wait for Spring so I can try them out.
It's good to hear that your experiences with the Talleys have been positive. I thought they were great for the year and a half I used them.
Thanks for your reply!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
The Warne 2pc Steel bases are slim in height like the Burris. I used these on my Xbolt with Warne low steel rings. I have the Burris 2pc bases on a Vanguard 30-06with a SWFA 6x in low rings and there’s bolt clearance and barrel clearance.
Awesome, I have a 308 that's getting a a new scope too and figured I'd use 2 piece bases on it. Already have an extra pair of Warne maxima's laying around so I'll look into the bases too. Thanks for the reply!

OP
JustSomeGuy35
Well, turns out the Hawkins I ordered weren't actually in stock. In fact, I can't find them in stock anywhere on the net! Must be popular...
I emailed Hawkins to get an eta on availability. If it's gonna be more than 6-8 weeks then I'll just purchase the 30mm Talleys or do the two-piece bases/Seekins combo. This rifle will probably never be abused as much as my primary rigs; a TC 7mm mag and Savage 30-06. Based on the responses you guys have given, either option should suffice.

Once again, thanks for your advice, guys!

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
You may have already made up your mind, but I have Warne Mountain Tech, Leupold Backcountry and Seekins Rings on different rifles. The Leupold are not picatinny style, other two are. All have been rock solid. I like the Warne the most stylistically, but prefer the Leupold because there is no rail to work around (mounted to a Rem 700 muzzleloader).