Affordable cooler for a boned out elk?

Lytro

WKR
This works but depending on your location you can experience availability and price gouging issues. We've seen it firsthand in Cheyenne of course that may have just been for non-residents.
When success rates are what they are, especially for a first elk hunt, OP should be tickled to get price gouged if that ends up being the case.

I'd buy whatever cheap coolers you can get your hands on when/if you need them. I had a buddy come out a few years ago on an elk hunt and didn't bring any coolers except a small 60 he brought for his food. We boned out his elk into 2 gal sized ziplocs and just threw them in $10 rubbermaid totes with ice. Everything made it back to southern NM just fine.

Facebook marketplace always has rotomolded coolers for sale for cheap but if you’re on a budget it takes a lot of ice to pay off an expensive cooler. Just buy a cheap cooler and keep buying ice

Longtine

FNG
Classified Approved

Holds one boned out elk. Hook it to your truck, generator, camp electricity. I always pre-freeze them before the hunt starts. Let them get cold. Doesn't take up a lot of room in the back of the truck. Plus you can just put dry ice in and use it like an ice chest. I have a little Honda generator and one tank of gas gets me all the way home from far west New Mexico 13 hours away. Works great. And you can still use it at home.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I bought 2" pink foam 4'x8' panels. Custom cut them to fit in the front of wheel well (Pickup box) I also throw in an old sleeping back, a chunk of cardboard, and a roll of Gorilla tape.

When I go hunting, I throw them in pickup box (Not assembled) Set stuff on them etc. When I kill, I install panels and Gorilla tape all of the seams. (Leave lid off for now) Use my old sleeping bag as additional insulation inside (Leave it unzipped. Why) When all meat is in sleeping bag, I throw the piece of cardboard on top (Have some holes in cardboard. Why? Why you go to nearest grocery store/Walmart, pick up some dry ice. Put it on top of cardboard (This is so meat does not freezer burn) Fill the remaining airspace with clothes etc. Install lid and seal up with Gorilla Tape. (I have some pics from 2007 elk somewhere, but not on my phone)

Done this since 2000. Might have added a new panel or 2 (because of different vehicle dimensions) But I know I have less than $100 over the years.

Why do I do this? Storing big coolers is a PIA. This system has 2" of outside insulation, plus sleeping bag. I store panels in in the celling of my garage in off season.

I still have a Lifetime cooler in truck, But I store dry goods etc before the hunt. (Including old sleeping bag!)

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Z has a good plan.
I've seen chest freezer in the pickup bed but that's a bit much for me.

One idea a friend of ours uses, was glued foam panels to plywood. Each side was held with hinges. With the pins out it lays flat. Put a couple pieces of dry ice over the meat, separated by clothes to keep from burning the meat and your good.

I have also taken meat into town, paid a bit extra for quick processing and deep freeze. Set boxes of meat on foam and wrapped it with sleeping bags and coats. Dry ice between boxes. Drove over twelve hours and it hadn't even started to thaw.

TaperPin

WKR
If you’re in a truck with extra bed space, don’t overlook taking a chest freezer - many guys going as cheap as possible will do this. I heard of one guy using a broken chest freezer, but he said it went through a lot more ice than a cooler would have. Oh, and strap the lid down - I’ve seen guys driving down the road with the lid blown open. *chuckle*

bz_711

WKR
150 qt cooler. Igloo. Sam’s club. $89. I bought 3 of them about 15-20 years ago. Price then was $69. Have used extensively. Work great. (The big expensive one aren’t any better for my needs and only pay for marketing.). Have stored ice blocks in them for 2 weeks in hot western states (AZ and NM) with pink insulation and covered by a sleeping bag.
I have the same cooler...it's hauled several elk cross country. Put meat inside contractor bags, put in cooler, fill with ice and water. Top ice off if even needed at gas stops on way home. Haven't lost any meat yet...up to 4 days in cooler (usually only about 48 hours)

NCtrapper

FNG
I take 2 120 quart igloo coolers and freezer gallon jugs solid and tape the coolers. Ice lasts 7+ days and stays cool for when you put meat in until I go to town for dry ice.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Yup to the Colman Extreme 120. The key is getting a insulated lid. That's the "extreme" part of these Colmans. A good trick is to get a thermometer probe like a freezer monitor. You can monitor the temp without constantly opening the cooler. This is what really kills the ice.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
You can't go wrong with the giant, white Igloo marine coolers. I think mine is 165 qt? Got it at Costco for about $80 I think. That was about 15 years ago though. They get real heavy and awkward but are great for ice retention.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Any quality 120-150 qt cooler will be just fine as long as you maintain the ice. I have a inexpensive 120, and an expensive 150 qt coolers and I don't see a big difference, except for ice retention time. You will likely only have meat in it for a few days tops.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Another one I have and love is this:

I also have 2 of the Lifetime 77's. These are cheaper alternatives for a roto-molded cooler than Yeti, Rtic, etc and hold ice just as well for about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. I got them through Walmart. I keep them inside the truck in the hottest part of the summer when we're crabbing/fishing and they hold ice for crazy amounts of time.

This thread reminded me of a recent comic skit on the creation of the YETI brand by some local WI comics.

Youtube linked shared if you are curious and need a laugh.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I have 50% ownership in a RTIC 145qt. We usually bring that plus a small 65qt or something. That would be enough for one elk.

link

FNG
I picked up a cheap Coleman from Walmart last year after I killed a bull. 150 I think. I already had one med/ large cooler, but needed the new one for more space. I wasn't too worried about it being a fairly cheap product, it only has to hold ice for a day or two to get you home. The size was most important.