Affordable cooler for a boned out elk?

maine

FNG
Going for my first elk hunt next year. Trying to save some costs where I can.

Maverick1

WKR
150 qt cooler. Igloo. Sam’s club. $89. I bought 3 of them about 15-20 years ago. Price then was $69. Have used extensively. Work great. (The big expensive one aren’t any better for my needs and only pay for marketing.). Have stored ice blocks in them for 2 weeks in hot western states (AZ and NM) with pink insulation and covered by a sleeping bag.

Matt5266

WKR
Walmart sells a coleman 150 quart cooler for about $100 . Lots online about modifying a cooler to help ice retention such as adding insulation and stuff. Might not be a bad option if you wanna keep it cheap. Wrapping your cooler in moving blankets or a sleeping bag helps alot too.

6.5x284

WKR
Look at CaterGator! I have a YETI and RTIC and the CaterGator 110 with free shipping is a crazy good deal. It’s really impressive for the cost. Same rotomolded cooler design as the big names. Far above something like an Igloo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to keep in mind is that you might not be able to keep the cooler outside.
On a hunt in MT ranger came into our camp, she said we had to put the RTIC cooler in the truck because it’s not grizzly certified.

OP
M

maine

FNG
Walmart sells a coleman 150 quart cooler for about $100 . Lots online about modifying a cooler to help ice retention such as adding insulation and stuff. Might not be a bad option if you wanna keep it cheap. Wrapping your cooler in moving blankets or a sleeping bag helps alot too.
That is really helpful thank you 🙏
I’ve bought 3 165 qt coolers at Costco for less than $100 each and they’ve been great.
definitely going to check out Costco thank you!

X2 on Catergator. Two 110qt prefilled with frozen milk jugs had over half the ice after 12 days of 80F highs, 40F lows.

LostArra

WKR
I have igloos and Coleman. Both are better than the yeti I got rid of. When I say better I mean keep ice as long or longer and don't weigh half as much, and cost a third less or better
I'll add to your list that the Igloo/Coleman Extremes have a smaller footprint in the truck bed compared to the same capacity with the rotos.

Pre-chilling any cooler with ice jugs and keeping the darn thing CLOSED after it's packed goes a long way to keeping meat cold.