Affordable cooler for a boned out elk?

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I’ve got by with a couple 120 qt Coleman’s but I don’t live far from where I generally hunt. Long about August I start saving milk jugs for cooler ice.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Make sure you bone it out. No problem getting a boned out elk in a 150 qt. cooler. I have done it three time, and that is with layers of ice.

Going for my first elk hunt next year. Trying to save some costs where I can.
I put a 7 cubic chest freezer in back of truck and run my generator to keep it frozen. If ya don't have a generator you can always find an outdoor outlet at a motel to keep it plugged in for the night and meat will stay cold if not stay frozen. Plus you have a chest freezer at home to keep your meat. A win, win. And the cost only like $170 for the chest freezer. That is what I do crossing the country driving. Good luck

The biggest problem I’ve had with coolers is all I’ve bought leak rain into the cooler. I want one I can haul around in the pickup bed until needed that doesn’t leak.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Look at CaterGator! I have a YETI and RTIC and the CaterGator 110 with free shipping is a crazy good deal. It’s really impressive for the cost. Same rotomolded cooler design as the big names. Far above something like an Igloo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never heard of this brand. Thanks @6.5x284

HERE is a review of a 110 qt. CaterGator cooler.

Eddie

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
look for the "marine" version of any Coleman cooler; WAY better than standard, but does cost a little more (~25%) I've got 4, from 150qt to 70qt. Great coolers that don't break the bank!

Cfriend

FNG
I've used the Coleman and Igloo basic versions. Check out Facebook Marketplace, I've seen some great deals on there and got a 150 qt igloo for $50.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Lytro

WKR
Make sure you bone it out. No problem getting a boned out elk in a 150 qt. cooler. I have done it three time, and that is with layers of ice.
Were these bulls? I've packed 2 since I bought a 145 qt a couple years ago and they weren't even close to fitting with ice without also using a 65 qt. In hindsight, I wish I would have just bought three 65's since they're lighter and fit under a tonneau cover.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
All mine were cows, one was a very large one. I got every piece of meat I could. I even took meat off the ribs. Zero bones were in the chest.

Gila

WKR
I went with a LIFETIME 77 qt. Big coolers are hard to pack/unpack and move around so I use multiple 77 qt for everything. About as bear proof as you are going to find. I chain them to a tree.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Coleman 120-150 quart coolers. They are the least expensive for the size. Can easily fit the meat from a bull and some frozen water jugs in two coolers.

rayporter

WKR
I bought 2" pink foam 4'x8' panels. Custom cut them to fit in the front of wheel well (Pickup box) I also throw in an old sleeping back, a chunk of cardboard, and a roll of Gorilla tape.

When I go hunting, I throw them in pickup box (Not assembled) Set stuff on them etc. When I kill, I install panels and Gorilla tape all of the seams. (Leave lid off for now) Use my old sleeping bag as additional insulation inside (Leave it unzipped. Why) When all meat is in sleeping bag, I throw the piece of cardboard on top (Have some holes in cardboard. Why? Why you go to nearest grocery store/Walmart, pick up some dry ice. Put it on top of cardboard (This is so meat does not freezer burn) Fill the remaining airspace with clothes etc. Install lid and seal up with Gorilla Tape. (I have some pics from 2007 elk somewhere, but not on my phone)

Done this since 2000. Might have added a new panel or 2 (because of different vehicle dimensions) But I know I have less than $100 over the years.

Why do I do this? Storing big coolers is a PIA. This system has 2" of outside insulation, plus sleeping bag. I store panels in in the celling of my garage in off season.

I still have a Lifetime cooler in truck, But I store dry goods etc before the hunt. (Including old sleeping bag!)
you dont need to go to this much trouble. a piece of foam on the floor and a piece against the head wall with dry ice and meat packed in then cover with a tarp and sleeping bags and sleeping pads. it will be cold before you get out of state.
i have done this since 1990.
i have even built the cooler out of old army surplus sleeping pads. by the time we get to Oklahoma meat will be starting to freeze.

OP
M

maine

FNG
One thing to keep in mind is that you might not be able to keep the cooler outside.
On a hunt in MT ranger came into our camp, she said we had to put the RTIC cooler in the truck because it’s not grizzly certified.
Thanks for the heads up!

OP
M

maine

FNG
When success rates are what they are, especially for a first elk hunt, OP should be tickled to get price gouged if that ends up being the case.

I'd buy whatever cheap coolers you can get your hands on when/if you need them. I had a buddy come out a few years ago on an elk hunt and didn't bring any coolers except a small 60 he brought for his food. We boned out his elk into 2 gal sized ziplocs and just threw them in $10 rubbermaid totes with ice. Everything made it back to southern NM just fine.
You’re totally right haha. Glad that worked out!

bz_711

WKR
Good call!!
I second that...fill coolers with frozen milk jugs. When I get elk, put meat in contractor bags, place in cooler...then cut open each jug and dump the melted water and ice chunk on top of meat. Works great!
It's also emergency backup water should you run short in camp.

Marcjr47

FNG
I had no idea I needed the catergator until this post…. It seems legit for the price. I have a Cordova currently and it’s okay.