Airline 62" Size Regulation For Luggage

Hello Rokslide community, FNG here. I am flying from Alabama to Colorado for my first elk hunt in November. I have researched the TSA and airline regs for carrying my rifle, and it looks like a fairly simple deal. The fine print in United's baggage restrictions says that luggage over 62 linear inches or the 50 lb weight restriction is subject to a $200 oversize fee. Most gun cases that I can find to fit my rifle (Browning X-Bolt Mtn Pro), will exceed these limitations. Weight wouldn't be an issue, but I am struggling to find a TSA approved case that will both fit my rifle, and be at or under the 62" LxWxH restriction. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone know if the airlines apply the linear baggage restrictions to "Sporting Goods"? Thank you in advance!

I've always wondered, why couldn't you get a shorter case and just split your barreled action from your stock, and lay them more parallel? Then just re-assemble when you get there. It'd just be two screws, so include your torque wrench in the case.

OP
Outlawshiner
I've never had an oversize fee on a Gun Case or Bow case that weighed under 50# . That has been on United, Southwest, Delta and American
Thank you. I "have heard" that it won't be a big deal, but I have been unable to find an actual policy on it. I doubt the counter agent is going to whip out a tape and start adding it up, but $200 each way would get a little spendy. Appreciate the feedback!

OP
Outlawshiner
I've always wondered, why couldn't you get a shorter case and just split your barreled action from your stock, and lay them more parallel? Then just re-assemble when you get there. It'd just be two screws, so include your torque wrench in the case.
Considering this very option. I was just trying to avoid it if possible. Thank you for the feedback!

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I fly with rifle cases fairly frequently and have not been charged extra as long as they meet the airline's weight guidelines (often 50# if I am not flying First Class). My favorite is a large Tuffpak that looks almost exactly like a golf club case.

OP
Outlawshiner
I fly with rifle cases fairly frequently and have not been charged extra as long as they meet the airline's weight guidelines (often 50# if I am not flying First Class). My favorite is a large Tuffpak that looks almost exactly like a golf club case.
Thank you Seamaster! I appreciate the feedback!